TenSoon is my favorite Mistborn character now.

Frustration

So I recently finished my reread of era 1 and I love TenSoon now. As I was reading Well of Ascension I picked up on all the little hits that OreSeur had been replaced, and then I got to this line on page 305

"I know it is," OreSeur said. "But people often believe silly things if given enough proof. Either way, I appologize. I do not know which of your friends is dead, but I am sorry that one of my kind brought you this pain."

"Whoever he is, he's just following his Contract."

"Yes, Mistress," OreSeur said. "The Contract."

And I could hear the doubt in TenSoon's mind as he tried to justify the pain Vin is going through in his mind, tries to justify killing OreSeur, tries to convince himself that he has no choice. It's beautiful and I love it.

Anyway I just had to put that out there.

Edited by Frustration

6 minutes ago, Frustration said:

And I could hear the doubt in TenSoon's mind as he tried to justify the pain Vin is going through in his mind, tries to convince himself that he has no choice. It's beautiful and I love it.

I know! I've had that same experience! I love rereading Sanderson books and catching little hints or references to the future. Every time I find one I get so excited because it's so fun to find things like this.

I love how that, on reread, you can almost chart the stages of logic and feeling that lead TenSoon to his proclomation to the Second generation in HoA. And I feel like it all starts in WoA Ch 22:

Spoiler

OreSeur nodded again, then turned his head slightly and looked at her. “Why is it that you hate me?”

“I don’t hate you,” Vin said.

OreSeur raised a canine eyebrow. There was a wisdom in those eyes, an understanding that Vin was surprised to see. She’d never seen such things in him before.

“I . . .” Vin trailed off, looking away. “I just haven’t ever gotten over the fact that you ate Kelsier’s body.”

“That isn’t it,” OreSeur said, turning back to look at the city. “You’re too smart to be bothered by that.”

Vin frowned indignantly, but the kandra wasn’t looking at her. She turned, staring back up at the mists. Why did he bring this up? she thought. We were just starting to get along. She’d been willing to forget.

You really want to know? she thought. Fine.

“It’s because you knew,” she whispered.

“Excuse me, Mistress?”

“You knew,” Vin said, still looking into the mists. “You were the only one on the crew who knew Kelsier was going to die. He told you that he was going to let himself be killed, and that you were to take his bones.”

“Ah,” OreSeur said quietly.

Vin turned accusing eyes at the creature. “Why didn’t you say something? You knew how we felt about Kelsier. Did you even consider telling us that the idiot planned to kill himself? Did it even cross your mind that we might be able to stop him, that we might be able to find another way?”

That conversation, and the realization that Vin's anger doesn't have to do with any aspects of being Kandra, but because she saw [OreSeur] as a person that should have tried to save his friend or help the crew try to save him. I think this was the turning point for TenSoon.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, Treamayne said:

I love how that, on reread, you can almost chart the stages of logic and feeling that lead TenSoon to his proclomation to the Second generation in HoA. And I feel like it all starts in WoA Ch 22:

Hide contents

OreSeur nodded again, then turned his head slightly and looked at her. “Why is it that you hate me?”

“I don’t hate you,” Vin said.

OreSeur raised a canine eyebrow. There was a wisdom in those eyes, an understanding that Vin was surprised to see. She’d never seen such things in him before.

“I . . .” Vin trailed off, looking away. “I just haven’t ever gotten over the fact that you ate Kelsier’s body.”

“That isn’t it,” OreSeur said, turning back to look at the city. “You’re too smart to be bothered by that.”

Vin frowned indignantly, but the kandra wasn’t looking at her. She turned, staring back up at the mists. Why did he bring this up? she thought. We were just starting to get along. She’d been willing to forget.

You really want to know? she thought. Fine.

“It’s because you knew,” she whispered.

“Excuse me, Mistress?”

“You knew,” Vin said, still looking into the mists. “You were the only one on the crew who knew Kelsier was going to die. He told you that he was going to let himself be killed, and that you were to take his bones.”

“Ah,” OreSeur said quietly.

Vin turned accusing eyes at the creature. “Why didn’t you say something? You knew how we felt about Kelsier. Did you even consider telling us that the idiot planned to kill himself? Did it even cross your mind that we might be able to stop him, that we might be able to find another way?”

That conversation, and the realization that Vin's anger doesn't have to do with any aspects of being Kandra, but because she saw [OreSeur] as a person that should have tried to save his friend or help the crew try to save him. I think this was the turning point for TenSoon.

I agree, it's probably that moment that he realizes that she thought of him as just another member of the crew, not a kandra. She explains why she understand what he has gone through, that there are humans who understand what the kandra people had gone through. Which is what starts to win him over.

I wasn't a huge fan of him at first, but I did grow to like TenSoon during HoA. His judgmental attitude is annoying, but he did start to get past that eventually.