Relative Investiture Between Surgebinders

Zidafer

Question

A question in the recent spoiler stream regarding units of investiture got me thinking about this. We know that Kaladin and Szeth each are intuitively aware of Basic Lashings, that the first lashing removes your Spiritual Gravitational Connection to the planet below you, and it "falsifies" a similar Connection in the intended direction relative to the surgebinder.

The question: Are all basic lashings equal?

Does every Windrunner, Skybreaker, and any of their squires, use the same amount of stormlight to pull with the same gravitational force?

We know that allomancers have different power levels based on how far removed they are from the introduction of lerasium into their lineage (also maybe how much lerasium? unsure), and that unkeyed metalminds can alter a person's ability to access and use investiture, sometimes even granting whole new abilities.

Is there some defining characteristic, be it genetic, spiritual, or otherwise, that may alter a surgebinder's ability to use more stormlight, use stormlight more efficiently, or just have stronger (or weaker) effects?

4 answers to this question

Short answer is no.  Long answer is that there are several factors.  The base lashing is always relative to the Object or Person being lashed, so the starting point is that weight.  From there the efficiency of the lashings are scaled by the strength of the Bond that is providing access to the Surge.  The least efficient means is probably a Fabrial followed by the Honorblades since they barely Bond.  Most efficient is the 5th Ideal Radiant, and all the lesser radiants and squires fall somewhere in the middle.  I have no idea if Squire strength is static or scales with the radiant's Ideals, but I suspect the latter.  

11 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I'm reasonably certain we have seen that more oaths sworn = more efficiency using Stormlight.

Affirm - Relevant WoB

Spoiler

Zykai (paraphrased)

Squires and people wielding Honorblades use more Stormlight than a regular Radiant. Who uses more?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The further you progress, the more efficient you become at consuming Stormlight. They're never as efficient as the Voidbringers, since humans leak too much.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG