cometaryorbit

how much of Nalthis is known?

4 posts in this topic

The Coppermind article describes the Manywar as a "global conflict", but I really don't get the impression from the book that this is really a society with world-wide communication/travel. It seems maybe Renaissance ish, and there's no magical transportation. The Bright Sea/Inner Sea doesn't seem to be a full on ocean either. The implied scale seems more Europe like than planetary (assuming Nalthis is roughly Earth sized.)

So is there another 80% or 90% of the planet we're not seeing?

Or is humanity fairly localized on Nalthis, perhaps a fairly recent arrival? It seems like known history may only go back 600 years or so.

The history we see is certainly only 600 years or so, but it's impossible to say how actually "global" the conflict was for the Manywar

I always assumed it was akin to WW1 where MOST of the conflict was relatively centralized to continental Europe, but it had ripple effects globally due to Empire of the time, etc. 

We know Hallendren was founded by people from across the Bright Sea in Chedesh, but... no idea how populated the planet as a whole is unless I've missed some WOB

3 hours ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

but... no idea how populated the planet as a whole is unless I've missed some WOB

More than Scadrial, less than Roshar or Sel.

Spoiler

wackyHair

What's the population of the shardworld's we've seen so far (even in very general terms, like one's much bigger than the others or something)?

Brandon Sanderson

Scadrial is certainly the least populated of the major shard worlds. Then Nalthis, I'd guess, followed by Roshar, and finally Sel--which likely has the largest population. I would have to look closely to see which is bigger between those last two.

Phantine

Does a population of about 100 million during The Final Empire (with 1-2 million in Luthadel), and around 15 million during Alloy of Law (with about 5 million in Elendel) seem right?

Brandon Sanderson

Have to RAFO this for now, for reasons I can't explain without giving spoilers.

Phantine

How about as far as Elend/Wax knows, at the beginning of their respective series?

Brandon Sanderson

Then those numbers, if they're off, are at least close.

faragorn

Interesting that Sel has such a large population, given that the actual numbers of soldiers shown seem to be quite small.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say that Opelon has an inflated opinion of its own size in relation to the rest of the world.

Footnote: The RAFO about the Scadrian population may be due to the existence of the Southerners, which had not been revealed as of this time.
/r/books AMA 2015 (June 8, 2015)

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

We know Hallendren was founded by people from across the Bright Sea in Chedesh, but... no idea how populated the planet as a whole is unless I've missed some WOB

Yeah but the Bright Sea seems to be surrounded by land so it's probably Mediterranean scale at most. I don't see any equivalent of travel to the Americas etc.

---

Hmmm. That WoB is interesting but not as helpful as it could be since we have no idea what the Southern Scadrian population is like. They have five nations, and though they went through a big disaster 340 years ago too it probably wasn't *as* lethal as what the North had, so they probably outnumber the North...

Still that might actually support a *relatively* recent (thousand years or so) human arrival on Nalthis since it seems to be very Earthlike & habitable without the difficulties of Roshar or Ashworld-era Scadrial.

Edited by cometaryorbit