Quick-Fix 61 - What Money Can Buy

xinoehp512

QF61 Aftermath: The Price of Freedom

"...we must not back down! We cannot give in to these petty threats. Now is the time to..."

Jekiel tuned the speaker out. He had to admire her boldness, continuing to push for restrictions on the Outer Basin, given what had happened to her predecessors. He would never have done the same, in her position- he valued his life too much for that. Then again, she had inspired many of his fellow Senators to similar boldness, a tactic that could only result in further aggression from the aggrieved assassins. Hopefully, Jekiel would be able to stay under the radar until the constables were able to catch the killers.

Speaking of constables... was that one, at the door? And another one, in the corner near the podium? Jekiel frowned. What could they being doing here?

His question was answered when one of the constables spoke in a loud voice: "Senator Arboris, you are under arrest for the murders of Cett Yoren and Jeral Venture." Within moments, Arboris was surrounded by constables. They handcuffed her and began to lead her off the stage before she could even say a word. Jekiel watched her face as she was dragged away, sputtering in shock.

"Her?" he muttered to John McCarty, the person sitting next to him. "There's no way."

"Eh?" McCarty replied, blinking as though he had just woken up.

"There's no way that she's the killer," Jekiel replied. "I mean, she was as much a part of the pro-tariff movement as Yoren or Venture was!" Besides, he knew what a guilty person looked like when they were caught, and Arboris hadn't looked that way. She had seemed genuinely shocked. Confused.

"Hm," replied McCarty. "Fair enough."

Then he stabbed Jekiel in the chest.

Jekiel gasped, falling to the floor. His vision dimmed as he watched McCarty stand up and pull a gun from his pocket.

--

Jekiel awoke to screams.

He gasped, sitting up. He was alive. Unconsciously, he reached for his pewter reserves in his mind- empty. He shivered. Just enough to keep him alive, then. He pulled out his spare vial from one of his pockets and downed it. He breathed a sigh of relief as strength flooded his body. He made his way to his feet and left the chamber, stepping carefully over the fallen Senators that littered the floor.

It was time to get out of here.

--

Fires raged through Elendel as chaos reigned supreme. Three carriages drove away from the dying city.

On one carriage, Hammonda, McCarty, and Ziel rode off, their work completed.

On another Geoffery rode, having miraculously escaped the shootout that had consumed the Senate floor after the traitors had revealed themselves.

On the last was Jekiel, along with all of his assets that he could fit into the cart. It was time to become an Outer Basinite.

Luckspren was killed! They were a Senator!

Clanky was killed! They were a Senator!

Stick was investigated! They were a Senator!

The Infiltrators have reached parity with the Senators and have won the game! Congratulations to @Archer and @The Unknown Novel!

Vote count:

_Stick_ (3): Matrim's Dice, Clanky, Devotary of Spontaneity, Archer

Devotary of Spontaneity (2): _Stick_

_Stick_ was the Loudest Voice!

Link to the rules post.

Link to the rules doc.

GM Spreadsheet

Elim Doc

Spec Doc

Participants

Spoiler
  1. @Matrim's Dice as Geoffrey. Senator
  2. @The Unknown Novel as Hammonda. Infiltrator
  3. @JNV Senator
  4. @Archer as Senator McCarty. Infiltrator
  5. @Tani Senator
  6. @Clanky Senator
  7. @Devotary of Spontaneity as Ziel Lekal  Senator
  8. @_Stick_ Senator
  9. @Luckspren Senator

Final Results for Last Cycle

Spoiler

Vote Count:

_Stick_ (4): Matrim's Dice, Clanky, Devotary of Spontaneity, Archer

Devotary of Spontaneity (1): _Stick_

Player Votes Flagged:

Loudest Voice Leaderboard:

1. _Stick_ (16)
  2. Matrim's Dice (13)
  3. Clanky (11)
  4. Archer (8)
  5. Devotary of Spontaneity (7)
  6. Luckspren (6)
  7. The Unknown Novel (2)

Active on the Floor Score:

1. Matrim's Dice (7)
  2. Archer (7)
  3. Devotary of Spontaneity (7)
  4. Clanky (6)
  5. _Stick_ (6)
  6. Luckspren (5)
  7. The Unknown Novel (2)

Thank you all so much for playing! GM thoughts will be up... when I have the time :P. In the meantime, what did you think of the game?

Edited by xinoehp512

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Sorry that I couldn't get on in time @Archer, but luckily it worked out.

Not to worry, people really have it out for the Loudest Voice winner. :P. Good game, I enjoyed working with you! 

And good game to everyone else as well. I'm a little sad it was so short, but I really didn't want to test our luck in a 3v:2e scenario. 

Xino, I really appreciated the effort you put into this game, from the rules streamlining to the website coding. It really enhanced the quality of the game. 

Yeeeeahhhhhhhhh I still have no idea how to read Archer. Sorry Stick, even if I did warn you about that kill :P. And well played TUN, you did an excellent job staying in your village meta.

@Luckspren I hope you stick around, you played a great first game.

I second what Archer said— the code was awesome. On-command VC is something we could use more of. Well done running this, xino!

Hope I have a good village game soon xD I had a streak awhile back of games where my reads were good but nowadays I think I’d do better voting my top village read >>

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Well... That went horribly. :rolleyes: 

Good game everyone! It was a fun way to get back into the game even if it was super quick.

Thanks for running things Xino!

I'll have more thoughts later when I get home form work

Xino, thank you. The vote count website was awesome, the ruleset was fun, and I enjoyed this game.

I like that you basically had to talk a lot to survive. It was tricky, but that just made it more interesting.

Well we weren't winning that no matter what. Looks like PMing Archer solo after he made a PM with TUN and I did not in fact avoid elims, and it makes sense that Archer blindly trusted TUN and didn't care which of Stick or Mat died. Nice to see that Ziel got to be an honorary elim, since this result is what she was hoping for. She always expected to die achieving the goal she named herself for, but perhaps an ex-noble and a single-blessing Kandra can build a new life in the Outer Basin.

well this game was a series of bad decisions :]

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Yeeeeahhhhhhhhh I still have no idea how to read Archer. Sorry Stick, even if I did warn you about that kill :P. And well played TUN, you did an excellent job staying in your village meta.

That kill wasn't me! xD It was Archer. I actually bought a bodyguard C1 so I never had sufficient funds to kill anyone. That was all bs lmao. I was trying to attract the NK so that it would meet my newly bought bodyguard. Which I didnt end up buying cuz...exe.

Thanks for the game xino and Araris! I liked the counter.

Edited by _Stick_

7 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

That kill wasn't me! xD It was Archer. I actually bought a bodyguard C1 so I never had sufficient funds to kill anyone. That was all bs lmao. I was trying to attract the NK so that it would meet my newly bought bodyguard. Which I didnt end up buying cuz...exe.

So my conspiracy theory about you was correct then! 

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I kept forgetting that I was an elim during the first bit of d1. If I don't die d1, I almost always die in the endgame, but since this game didn't really have an endgame, I lived.

I think these mechanics would work much better as a LG, or at least an MR.

40 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Oh

Never mind then xD Wonder how I missed that, I looked through all the docs…

Well it looks like the vote counter met with favorable reviews! I'm glad I tested it in the sign-up thread- I found a whole bunch of bugs before the game even started. The only real error during the game was when the program failed to count the words in Clanky's list, (although that's fixed now), so all in all things went quite smoothly. Nobody forgot to use the vote flags, so good job everyone!

The game was shorter than I expected. Including the assassin was risky in such a low player-count game, and I didn't expect that it would be saved until the second round. I suppose the downside was enough to dissuade people from taking wild shots. Nonetheless, the elims were able to make enough money to capitalize on the kill extremely well while avoiding the lynch.

Interestingly, very few people put in action submissions- there were only four the entire game (discounting orders cancelled midway through the cycle). People seemed more inclined to save their boxings than spend them. If there had been another cycle, I expect there would have been more. 

Congratulations to the elims for winning, and thank you to xinoehp512 for running the game!

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Devotary of Spontaneity, Elbereth, Araris Valerian, Elandera, or StrikerEZ, or post in the GM Signups & Discussion ThreadNot only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can. 

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Amanuensis, STINK, Sart, Fifth Scholar, Straw, Archer, and Kasimir) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: