Quick-Fix 61 - What Money Can Buy

xinoehp512

QF61: What Money Can Buy

Many have compared the Elendel Senate to an apple with a few worms in it. 

They are wrong, of course. The Senate is rotten to the core.

It is past time for them to be discarded…

Welcome to Quick Fix game 61: What Money Can Buy! You are a member of the Elendel Senate. Tensions between Elendel and the Outer Basin have heated to a boil. Dissidents have infiltrated the Senate, prepared to take it down by any means necessary. Will you be able to use your wealth and influence to successfully identify the traitors without losing your seat or your life?

I will be your GM for this game, and @Araris Valerian will be your IM. Signups will run until June 27th, 2022 at 12PM EDT (4PM GMT)

Rules: (or view them in doc form)

Spoiler

Basics

Spoiler
  • 24 hour combined cycles.

• There will be an execution by majority vote each cycle. Votes are cast in red and retracted in green. Please bold your votes and place them as close to the left margin as you can to minimize the probability that they will be missed.

• There will be no vote minimum.

• Ties will result in a random person being removed.

• All players may only take one action per turn.

• Different types of kills and protections will not be distinguished in the write-up.

• PMs are open.

• Order of actions: Boxing Payout -> Blackmail  -> Bodyguard -> Infiltrator Kill -> Assassination -> Bribery -> Exe

Alignments

Spoiler
  • Senators: You are an elected member of the Elendel Senate. Recently, however, your fellow politicians have begun to die under mysterious circumstances… and all evidence points to someone (or someones) working inside the Senate itself. An investigation must be held in order to determine the source of the murders. You can’t afford to be investigated yourself, of course; you’re not a murderer, but you’ve got other skeletons in your closet. If the truth sees the light of day, your career in the Senate is over. Still, you’d rather be impeached than murdered. You win once the Infiltrators have been caught.
  • Infiltrators: You are a resident of the Outer Basin determined to end Elendel’s tyranny. You win once you reach parity with the  Senators. You have a collective kill to help you achieve this goal. This kill does not consume an action.

Money

Spoiler
  • Loudest Voice: The player with the most responses in a cycle will earn 5 boxings. A response is a unique quote of another player’s post followed by 50 words of game-related content (including RP) (Please place non-game related content in quote boxes). This cannot be won by the same person twice in a row.
  • Active on the Floor: Every distinct player that you respond to will earn you 1 boxing, up to a maximum of 10.

• Leader of Discussion: The first player in a train of votes will receive a number of boxings equal to the number of people in that train, including themselves (vote manipulation does not affect this).

Blackmail

Spoiler

Blackmail is a passive action. It will take priority over other actions should you not have enough money to complete both.

• All players must pay 3 boxings each turn to keep their missteps private. Failure to do so will result in their removal from the Senate.

Action Shop

Spoiler

You may spend boxings in the same turn that you earn them. There will be a limited number of actions of each type available each cycle, based on player count. Unpurchased actions will roll over into the next cycle. You may pay more than the listed amount for an action; those that bid the highest will have priority. Equal bids will result in a random person being successful.

• Bribe (3+ boxings): Slip something valuable to another person to change their vote this cycle. (This is not a transaction: boxings spent on bribes do not go into the target’s account).

• Bodyguard (5+ boxings): Hire a bodyguard to protect you for this turn. All kill attempts against you during that time will fail. This does not include the investigation.

• Assasination (9+ boxings): Hire an assassin to kill another Senator. If they are guilty, good for you! If not, however, it will be another secret to keep. Every time you successfully assassinate a Senator, the amount of blackmail you must pay every turn will increase by three.

Good Luck!

This game will feature software that automatically counts each player's score towards Active on the Floor and Leader of Discussion. If no players object, it will also feature an automatic vote tally. Said tally will require players to place a flag somewhere in their posts (preferably near the beginning) whenever they make a vote. The output of this software can be observed here (https://bit.ly/QF61-summary-page) and will update every five minutes. The software will be active on the sign-up thread, so feel free to experiment, become acquainted with, and potentially break it. :ph34r:

An example of a voting flag: (vote for null to unvote)

vote=Xinoehp

Participants

Spoiler
  1. @Matrim's Dice as Geoffrey.
  2. @The Unknown Novel as Hammonda.
  3. @JNV
  4. @Archer as Senator McCarty.
  5. @Tani
  6. @Clanky
  7. @Devotary of Spontaneity as Ziel Lekal
  8. @_Stick_
  9. @Luckspren

Quick Links

Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity

Sign me up as Hammonda.

vote=Matrim

5 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

In as Geoffrey

Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words words.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words words.

3 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

@xinoehp512 I will be your IM.

@xinoehp512, the vote counter only accepts you as Xino, how would that work for everyone else? Like would I be TUN or The Unknown Novel, would Mat be Mat, Matrim, or Matrim's Dice?

Edited by The Unknown Novel

11 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

@xinoehp512, the vote counter only accepts you as Xino, how would that work for everyone else? Like would I be TUN or The Unknown Novel, would Mat be Mat, Matrim, or Matrim's Dice?

The vote counter should accept any uniquely identifying substring. So xino, xinoehp, xinoehp512 should all work for me, Mat, Matrim, Matrim's Dice would work for Mat (Although for the last one, the counter actually won't register the second word; it only registers the first.) TUN will work for you since I specifically programmed it in.  

46 minutes ago, Tani said:

So we color our votes for ease of player counting, and tag our votes for the bot? We do still have to color our votes?

Assuming the vote counting software is in effect, coloring votes is not strictly required; I would recommend it regardless.

47 minutes ago, Tani said:

How many boxings do players start with?

Players will start with 0 boxings.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Will coloring the flag mess with the vote detector?

It should not.

Also I just realized I need a way for people to unvote. So, vote=null will remove your vote.

Edited by xinoehp512

Hi hi hi id like to play this it sounds cool um question will cpaitalisation matter for the vote also will the thing detect votes in edits also will the thing be able to understand typos in any way I do that a lot my bad sorry um let me test that actually 

vote=THE UNKNOWN NOVEL

also what if two names have the same starting word like The unknown Novel and someone else who starts with 'the' what happens then

testing if random quote boxes are hit by the detector

Spoiler
32 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Testing to see if quote boxes in soilers are hit by the detector also bla bla bla words to try and get fifty bla blab lajoifwef ljoefjw jowj wofjoifjwe jwofjoe fejo jfwfj feiwofj eiowf wofej jwefjowie fjwioe jfeow woiefowe fwofej woef wojfow woefjwoefj woej fow oiwe ofiwe owef woe woe wfoe woef woe fwoe ow ow wo wo ow ow wo wo ow w wo ow ow ow wo ow wo  w wo ow wrwoer wo wo wojwo wo woer wor wor owojw orwoer orwe rwoe rwoer woe wor weor wo orewo rwoe wo rweo rwoer we weriojeworjweo ok i think thats enough let me post and see

edit ok so based on the 'player votes flagged' thing I think capitalisation matters so my bad I guess Ill try to be good on that now testing edited votes 

vote=The Unknown Novel

see I can do capitals Im so good at this 

edit again ok so edited votes do nothing oh well that sucks i guess edited  things do nothing in general then if it cant scrape votes it cant scrape the rest of it maybe possibly hm ok bye for now Ill be back later

Edited by JNV

1 hour ago, JNV said:

Hi hi hi id like to play this it sounds cool um question will cpaitalisation matter for the vote also will the thing detect votes in edits also will the thing be able to understand typos in any way I do that a lot my bad sorry um let me test that actually 

vote=THE UNKNOWN NOVEL

also what if two names have the same starting word like The unknown Novel and someone else who starts with 'the' what happens then

Hide contents

Testing to see if quote boxes in soilers are hit by the detector also bla bla bla words to try and get fifty bla blab lajoifwef ljoefjw jowj wofjoifjwe jwofjoe fejo jfwfj feiwofj eiowf wofej jwefjowie fjwioe jfeow woiefowe fwofej woef wojfow woefjwoefj woej fow oiwe ofiwe owef woe woe wfoe woef woe fwoe ow ow wo wo ow ow wo wo ow w wo ow ow ow wo ow wo  w wo ow wrwoer wo wo wojwo wo woer wor wor owojw orwoer orwe rwoe rwoer woe wor weor wo orewo rwoe wo rweo rwoer we weriojeworjweo ok i think thats enough let me post and see

edit ok so based on the 'player votes flagged' thing I think capitalisation matters so my bad I guess Ill try to be good on that now testing edited votes 

vote=The Unknown Novel

see I can do capitals Im so good at this 

edit again ok so edited votes do nothing oh well that sucks i guess edited  things do nothing in general then if it cant scrape votes it cant scrape the rest of it maybe possibly hm ok bye for now Ill be back later

I already tested a lot of this, random quote boxes aren't caught, but editing does work. Someone time it just takes a few updates. Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words Words words words words words words.

Vote=JNB

1 hour ago, JNV said:

Capitalization will not matter, nor will punctuation. The software will detect votes in edits; it references the current state of the thread whenever it updates. That being said, don't edit in a vote flag unless you made a colored vote and forgot to include it or are the most recent post. This is especially important this game, as the order in which votes are made matters a great deal.

The program will not be able to recognize typos by default that are not a substring of the original name (so "Matrix" would not register for "Matrim", but "Matri" would).

1 hour ago, JNV said:

The vote will be flagged. "The Wandering Wizard" is in the list (as is everyone who played BT2 or LG86), so that is currently the case. Once signups conclude, I will restrict the list so that only people playing the game can be voted for. If Wandering Wizard were to join, votes for them would need to be "Wandering" or "Wizard".  The Unknown Novel would need to be "Unknown", "Novel", or "TUN". (Or some unique substring thereof, for either.)

1 hour ago, JNV said:

If there are two vote flags in a post, the software will count the first one. (In general, I would advise that you avoid including two vote flags in a post.)

37 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Could we vote without using the software and still have it count? I’m planning to use it, but if I forget I’d still want my vote to be valid :P 

Given that this a QF game, yes. However, if you make a colored vote and then realize that you forgot, you may edit a vote flag in- and indeed, I would advise that you do so.

Edited by xinoehp512

Wow, this is cool. In case of a dispute, I recommend you write some hard rules about voting to fall back on. For example, codify that only the first vote in a post counts, =s always trump red text, typos will not be accepted even if the intention is clear, what the list of acceptable name iterations is etc. Alternatively, be less strict about it, but then advertise that the bot is unofficial and your hand tally will take priority. 

I'll play as Senator McCarty who hates the color red but is also red/green color blind. So he hates a lot of things. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Vote=JNB

Vote=TUN. (I'm checking whether votes in post quotes get read.)

Edit: all forms of quotes do appear to be exempt from the scan

Edited by Archer

1 hour ago, Archer said:

In case of a dispute, I recommend you write some hard rules about voting to fall back on. For example, codify that only the first vote in a post counts, =s always trump red text, typos will not be accepted even if the intention is clear, what the list of acceptable name iterations is etc. Alternatively, be less strict about it, but then advertise that the bot is unofficial and your hand tally will take priority. 

I will rule that in most cases, what the program says goes. The only exceptions are:

• if you forget to put in a vote flag (i.e. you have a color-vote occurring after any or no vote-flags)
  • if your vote is flagged but you include a color-vote in the same post that disambiguates it.  

Once the player list is finalized, I will make a list of official monikers that are guaranteed to work, in case anyone has trouble. 

I've added an Update Now link to the website, so if you're wondering whether your vote counts you can check right away instead of having to wait.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Vote=TUN. (I'm checking whether votes in post quotes get read.)

All text within quote boxes of any type will be ignored. Also there was a bug where the vote text itself was strict about capitalization, but that should be fixed now.

Also, @Tani, do you wish to sign up?

I'll join this game, I'll think of a character and name later. It's been 5 years since I last did a sanderson elimination game so hopefully I remember how to play a little! This seems like a good one to jump into again since the base rules aren't too complicated.

13 minutes ago, Clanky said:

I'll join this game, I'll think of a character and name later. It's been 5 years since I last did a sanderson elimination game so hopefully I remember how to play a little! This seems like a good one to jump into again since the base rules aren't too complicated.

Welcome back! (This totally isn't an attempt to get more scores up so I can win before the game even starts. Totally. Come on, you do not believe me? Cause you should. Like, I'm obviously just welcoming Clanky back, right? Still don't believe me, fine then. Have it your way. Really, that didn't convince you? What will? Nothing? That's a little rude, don't you think?)

16 hours ago, Clanky said:

Hey Clanky, welcome back!

4 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

Hey Clanky, welcome back!

Thanks! It's good to be back. A lot has changed since my last game but there are still a couple names I recognize here and there.

21 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Welcome back! (This totally isn't an attempt to get more scores up so I can win before the game even starts. Totally. Come on, you do not believe me? Cause you should. Like, I'm obviously just welcoming Clanky back, right? Still don't believe me, fine then. Have it your way. Really, that didn't convince you? What will? Nothing? That's a little rude, don't you think?)

Thanks! It is nice for you to welcome me back and that is what this post is for. (To thank you for the welcoming back, not to attempt to compete with you in the super important pre-game leaderboard. Which, by the way, I believe you that the purpose of your post is truly only to welcome me back. Any other interpretation would be completely disingenuous and frankly ridiculous.)

1 hour ago, Clanky said:

Thanks! It's good to be back. A lot has changed since my last game but there are still a couple names I recognize here and there.

Thanks! It is nice for you to welcome me back and that is what this post is for. (To thank you for the welcoming back, not to attempt to compete with you in the super important pre-game leaderboard. Which, by the way, I believe you that the purpose of your post is truly only to welcome me back. Any other interpretation would be completely disingenuous and frankly ridiculous.)

Thank you for understanding the completely and utterly true meaning of that post, which was welcoming you back. (I'm not sure what I think about this blatant attempt to win the pre game contest that totally isn't an actual thing.  I'll choose to look at it in the best light I possibly can look at it in, which is that this post is just thanking me for welcoming you back.)

I will sign up as Ziel, last scion of Lekal, who will bring down the noble houses if it kills her.

7 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

@xinoehp512, I think the bots down.

Test test Growing up in a family styling itself as Governor Innate's political rivals had been a valuable experience. While the other noble families fought each other for scraps, Ziel had been raised to seek power in its entirety. Many relatives advocated for eliminating the senate and governor entirely and replacing them with an Emperor Lekal, ruling with the backing of the noble houses like in the days of the Last Emperor's rule. Even the most ambitious acknowledged that nobody could replicate the Lord Ruler's 1000 year reign, so Ziel would of course have to continue the Lekal line to create a dynasty that could match such a feat. After exhausting dozens of prayers to Harmony that went just as unanswered as the millions upon millions of similar prayers that had been addressed to him over the centuries, Ziel came up with a different plan. She would work with the Outer Basin, the elected Senators and their constituents, and one rogue Kandra to put an end to the nobility's power. House Lekal would die with her, but not before every other house went up in flames.

3 hours ago, Clanky said:

We'll get someone to play who you remember.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Thank you for understanding the completely and utterly true meaning of that post, which was welcoming you back. (I'm not sure what I think about this blatant attempt to win the pre game contest that totally isn't an actual thing.  I'll choose to look at it in the best light I possibly can look at it in, which is that this post is just thanking me for welcoming you back.)

It's actually a conspiracy to get you exed C1 for the 3rd time in a row. vote=TUN.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:13 AM, Clanky said:

Hello there! :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I will sign up as Ziel, last scion of Lekal, who will bring down the noble houses if it kills her.

Test test Growing up in a family styling itself as Governor Innate's political rivals had been a valuable experience. While the other noble families fought each other for scraps, Ziel had been raised to seek power in its entirety. Many relatives advocated for eliminating the senate and governor entirely and replacing them with an Emperor Lekal, ruling with the backing of the noble houses like in the days of the Last Emperor's rule. Even the most ambitious acknowledged that nobody could replicate the Lord Ruler's 1000 year reign, so Ziel would of course have to continue the Lekal line to create a dynasty that could match such a feat. After exhausting dozens of prayers to Harmony that went just as unanswered as the millions upon millions of similar prayers that had been addressed to him over the centuries, Ziel came up with a different plan. She would work with the Outer Basin, the elected Senators and their constituents, and one rogue Kandra to put an end to the nobility's power. House Lekal would die with her, but not before every other house went up in flames.

We'll get someone to play who you remember.

It's actually a conspiracy to get you exed C1 for the 3rd time in a row. vote=TUN.

Haven't you played with Clanky before?