A thought on resurrection

The Little Ruler

I have just read the trilogy for the first time (which I utterly devoured in a week!) and one quote at the end of HoA stuck out to me somehow. In the letter that Sazed wrote to Spook (after his ascension) he mentions that he was unable to figure out how to resurrect Vin and Eland, but then goes on to write that he was working on that problem, then states that they 'deserve a rest'. Generally, after one has a rest they get back to doing something not so restful, and if Sazed does figure out the problem and understands how to resurrect individuals (which I'm certain he will being God and all that) would he bring Vin and Eland back into the world? And to what end? It's not that I'm desperate for them to come back, come-backs can be disappointing, it just seemed an odd thing to say especially as in the annotations Sanderson dates that "First off, the next series—if I do it—will not include Vin or Elend. They're dead. That's just the way it is. Sorry." This seems a contradictory statement - is he just trying to confuse us?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I couldn't find any info on it anywhere.

Edited by The Little Ruler

Also, there's nothing that says that their rest has to end, that they have to get back to doing something not-restful. Maybe they're just going to hang with Sazed for a while, and then move on to What's Next.

Or maybe there's some crap going down in the Cognitive Realm that they need to deal with off-camera. Wouldn't that be funky.

Either way, I don't think we'll be seeing any more of them, except maybe as legends.

Most importantly, if they did come back, I'd hope they could have a nice quiet, boring life, what with having saved the world and all. Not really good story material, though. Given that there is a confirmed afterlife, letting them get on with it might be the best way, really.

• 6 years later...

Time has passed and there is a good theory I have going on. I have a feeling that they might be brought back and re-introduced as individuals who perform worldhopping, likely they will visit Roshar within the Stormlight Archives series, which I'll say honestly, they need it. 

Of course, that's just a theory.

This was answered. Warning: SH spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

Vin and Elend went Beyond, and were happy to do so. Brandon has said he intends to leave the Beyond ambiguous, so they will not be coming back.

Now, people who insist on sticking around... that’s a different story. ;) But somehow I get the feeling that that happened despite Saze, not because of him. 

We have seen at least two and possibly four Scadrian worldhoppers. Demoux and Felt being the obvious ones.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

• Chaos locked this topic