28 posts in this topic

Maria is my baby and I will kill for her. Child. Infant. Daughter. Cute. Love.

Nah it's the 1980s just like Higurashi. Kinzo's just a westaboo

You know, I would say watching the opening is a bad idea because it seems to be full of spoilers but this is like Jojo openings, you don't notice the spoilers until they happen. As things stand I have no idea why Rosa would ever get into a shotgun duel with Natsuhi but now I really want to find out.

So anyway, bit of an update pre-Episode 1 ending since I'm just about to finish it but school refuses to give me time to read. Only a week and a half more...

First things first. The storming soundtrack. It was great from the beginning but then Fishy Aroma started playing and that was on another level. Then the, uh, event happened and I was too busy listening to the music to even worry.

Spoiler

So, when I read Maria's character profile saying that her speech was bothering Rosa I was immediately convinced that she was actually the most eloquent person on the island and that the Uu's were a choice. Nice to have that proven right so fast. I'll use this knowledge as an argument that the uu's must stay.

I thought Beatrice was just another character. I mean, like a main character but this whole deal about not even being sure if she exists is defying my expectations. At least I hope I can take Genji's dialogue on the matter as proof that she does exist, but still.

Loving the new tip system, quite literally a hint collector. We're detectives now. So, if Kyrie repeatedly calling Maria a key holder means anything, my current guess is that the river was the family line, Maria was the end of that river, and the rose garden the village. It seems like it doesn't matter that much anymore since we're past that point in the riddle and into the first twilight, but I'd like to have the whole thing solved at some point. The twilights also seemed a bit like Episodes, but of course, there's 10 twilights and only 8 Episodes. Hmmmm.

I like the characters so far. As of right now, I'm leaning towards Natsuhi as a favorite character. I'm pretty surprised about that considering that for me she had the worst first impression. Eva I feel like I would love if she used her sarcasm differently. Sarcasm can be endearing if used correctly, but Eva so far does not. Also, If Kinzo wasn't so stiff I think he would get along famously with Maria, please let that happen.

And, my biggest hope for this. Does magic actually play an important role here? Higurashi decided to confirm the existence of demons and started talking about prophecies and legendary swords but that was quite literally a post-credits scene after the very last arc. Before that the supernatural elements barely mattered to the story beyond explaining the time loop. But with Kinzo and Maria's obsession with black magic, the magic circles appearing, the word "witch" being a lot more prevalent than before, it all seems a lot more specific than the village rumors we had before. Please let magic be a big thing here, I'm scared of this being a repeat of Higurashi and finding out as we go that most of it was delusions and coincidences.

Currently stopped right after the murders were discovered and waiting for another chance to read.

The original OPs for Umineko don't have any spoilers. The PS3 OPs are full of spoilers. You watched the PS3 OP it seems, which is chock full of them. I'd recommend against watching them again

Also you're definitely not near the end of Episode 1.