Awesome movie! Jess and I watched the original a few days before seeing Maverick, and man, the original was just okay. All in all, Maverick was a far superior film, and a better execution of the first film's concept. It having a central plot really helped to ramp up the tension, and the plane sequences were incredible. I don't have too much time to watch movies, but I thoroughly loved it and would recommend it to anyone. 

I hadn't seen the original before going to this one (still haven't!), but we were invited by some family. I didn't really have any expectations--if anything, they were negative.

Then the amazing score started playing, and it just? kept? being good?? It's an insanely well-crafted movie, to every detail. I was on the edge of my seat without even realizing it.

Now my mother, who loathes the first one and had even lower expectations than I, wants to go see it again in IMAX. :D

(yo no way Chaos is the first reply to a thread that 'lil old me made? And Slowswift is next reply???? EYOOOO???)

anyways-

@Slowswift I also haven't seen the OG Top Gun, (and my parents say I never will lol) and how ironic, my girlfriends fam invited me to go see it, so we had a similar experience. I agree with all your points, it was fantastic.

Chaos, (I won't ping you, I lowkey fear pinging the Lord Ruler of the site) I wouldn't know if it was better than the first one but I'll take your word for it, because it was loud and angry and amazing and I loved it.

@CalanoCorvus Heyyy! One day I might see the original, but I'm not in any hurry--again, I'm beyond impressed how they managed to convey the weight of the previous movie's events even without that context.

(Also, I tend to think of myself as only one step above a lurker...am I really enough of a presence to warrant that kind of response? I'm flattered. :P)

Today, I watched the first one for the first time literally right before going to see the second one.

I'm bad at having opinions on movies, I haven't really met a movie I didn't like, BUT I did very much enjoy both movies. I found it........odd and kind of annoying that Charlie (the first movie love interest) WASN'T EVEN MENTIONED in the second one. The first movie ended in such a way that the viewer would think they'd end up together for a long time, that it wouldn't just be a fling, so I didn't really like that she just.....wasn't a part of the second movie at all. They kinda just hit reset on the romance button, cuz apparently a happy, healthy, long relationship isn't good enough, the main guy needs a new girl every movie.

Obviously, I don't know the reasons that Charlie wasn't in it, but it still just kinda irks me.

Other than the romance, I don't think I had any issues with either of them. Edge-of-the-seat action, I definitely almost cried a few times during the second one (like when Rooster said "Talk to me, Dad" the way Maverick would always say "Talk to me, Goose" or when Rooster said "Come on, Mav, do some of that pilot [crap]," which, iirc, is exactly what Goose said to Maverick one time.)

Edited by DramaQueen

• 1 month later...

Two months after the thing came out, and I finally saw it.

Holy cow, that was good.  The music was great, the cinematography was beautiful, the dialogue flowed well, and the actors had great performances.  My only gripe is that when my parents went to see it by themselves, their theater had rumble seats.  The theater I went to did not, and I still felt it, but rumble seats would have been fun.

I will never be able to be a pilot, nor do I really want to be one, but some of those flight sequences almost made me want to, just for a minute.  It was also a great talking point, since my dad knows a lot about planes, and so he could explain a lot of things that I had questions on.  And all that was extra stuff, the movie did a good job of telling what needed to be told and not including extra information.

I would absolutely watch it again.