A way to beat Kandra

Frustration

I'm rereading TFE and I find myself once again being bothered by one thing. It is repeatedly stated that Oreseur has to be kept away from Inquisistors or they will discover he is a Kandra. And I never could think of why until this reading.(Because I'm dumb and thought it said obligators until now)

Inquisitors have steelsight, which means that they will see the Kandra's spikes, and since every Coinshot or lurcher can use steelsight if they do it right

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

By the way, you probably remember form book one the way that Inquisitors see. They have such a subtle touch with Steel and Iron, and their lines, that they can see via the trace metals in everyone's bodies and in the objects around them.

The thing is, any Allomancer with access to iron or steel could learn to do this. Some have figured it out, in the past, but in current times, nobody–at least, nobody the heroes know–is aware of this. Except, of course, for Marsh.

And he chose not to share it.

The Well of Ascension Annotations (Nov. 11, 2007)

So in the future any Coinshot or Lurcher will be able to discover a Kandra, and maybe we can end the trend of the second book of every era being a "Who's the Kandra?" hunt.

3 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Yea, I always figured that it had to do with them being bronze savants, b/c Marsh talked about how you could sense various things about allomancy, perhaps they would be able to sense the use of the spikes?

I doubt that they could sense Kandra with Bronze. Vin never noted that she was able sense TenSoon operating with 4 spikes, and she really paid attention to that kind of thing.

Spikes in the shoulders seems like it would be pretty obvious to an Inquisitor. There probably is something more going on though, because in theory the Inquisitors and Kandra in those days were both the servants of TLR, yet the Kandra had a set rule that they wouldn't go near an Inquisitor. Why would Inquisitors care whom the Kandra had replaced, in most cases operating as spies for the nobility? I wonder if TLR had deliberately kept information of what the Kandra did secret even from the Inquisitors, particularly so the Inquisitors didn't start coveting the Atium the Kandra were collecting.

The kandra put the "we avoid Inquisitors" rule in their contracts because Inquisitors were Allomancers beforehand so some might have double power Soothing or Rioting and be able to control kandra... and the kandra wanted that to stay forgotten.

Which doesn't rule out spotting kandra by iron/steelsight... if Inquisitors can see iron in blood they could surely see Hemalurgic spikes