Ms. Marvel Discussion

Let's talk about Ms. Marvel. Personally, I found it to be very entertaining. The storytelling medium was different from what we have seen in the MCU thus far. The actors have great charisma and charm to them. As an opening episode, episode 1 kept me hooked and intrigued if only because the relationships between these characters are relatable in so many ways. 

I am now cautiously optimistic about the series! 

As a fan of the comics, I was pretty disappointed that they changed her powers so drastically. To me, it seemed, they would have to nail Kamala's character in order for it to be Ms Marvel.

Thankfully, they did that in this episode along with the family. 

Bruno was certainly changed for the show, but we don't talk about him. 

• 3 weeks later...

Time to rant for a second, because nobody else seems to be taking the initiative. 

Ms. Marvel is amazing. After episode 1 I liked it, but after 2 and 3 I love it, with a few small quibbles. For the most part though, I love every character, and I love that it's not taking the cliche high school route with the "weird girl" getting bullied, and going through boy troubles and the like. By the end of episode 1 Kamala seemed to stop caring what other people thought of her, and we didn't have to watch yet another "teen navigating high school" show. In fact, the character I was positive was the "school bully" and first turned out to be a pretty cool person as far as I can tell. It's quite refreshing. Believe me, there are enough of those. I also love how respectfully they're treating the religious aspect of it (I wonder what it's like to have your religion treated respectfully by the media. I've certainly never had that luxury.) and I love exploring the intricacies of their society. And most of all, I love that this is an origin story that isn't like all the others, because uniqueness is always awesome.

Now, the quibbles. I'll put these in a spoiler tag because I'll be getting a bit more specific with my complaints. 

Spoiler

At the end of episode two, I wondered if this show would have the guts to pull a story without a main villain. It kind of felt like they were going that direction, and I was ready to stand up and cheer. I was glad Marvel was realizing that you don't need a main villain to make a good story. (eg. The Way of Kings) But then... episode three came along. The sudden villains felt forced and without a real motive. Like seriously, they're immortal! Why do they have to come get Kamala's bracelet thingy now? Oh wait, I know the answer to that! it was because the stupid screenwriters needed a fight scene! 

Okay fine, I'm probably not giving the writers enough credit. I'm sure they had their reasons, but... it made me so sad. This show had the potential to be so incredibly solid. (And don't get me wrong, it still is solid, I'll still happily watch the rest of the season, but it could have been so different from the other marvel stuff.) Like, couldn't they have had one of the jin die or something, from being away from their dimension for too long? Then the urgency could have been real, and less ridiculous, and I could have chalked up them being willing to kill Kamala's entire family (Acording to that one jin kid I guess. Maybe he was lying, or evil, or both?) up to desperation and fear of death. 

Anyway, it's still a great show despite everything, looking forward to episode four!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. Just popping in to say this might be my new favorite MCU Disney+ show. Loved it. I feel like it’s one I can show my kids. It was just so fun and good. And it is because the characters were amazing. The superhero stuff was honestly only okay, but the relationships and cultural stuff. Oh just so good. 

Just finished binging it! I think Ms. Marvel is one of the best MCU shows. It nails its theme, it's directing is fun and varied, and the characterization is both fun, archetypical, and nuanced. (Except for DODC. They were just cartoonishly evil.) Overall, this show was a fun summer blast in a year that NEEDED a fun summer blast. The pacing was a bit off for me, as I wanted more high school stuff and more time in each place rather than movie pacing for each aspect. The CGI was also really off, particularly with Kamala's models. These aspects put Ms. Marvel a little behind Hawkeye, but the rest of the show more than makes up for it. 

I'm also a sucker for generational and/or immigration-related drama in my fantasy works, and it's something Disney has been leaning REALLY hard into for the past couple of years. Anyways, I really enjoyed this show, and I'm curious to see where it goes...although if I'm being honest, I don't have a lot of hope for The Marvels. After Multiverse of Madness ruining Wanda's entire arc in WandaVision (and really faking us out with What If's importance), I'm really not sure how they'll use Kamala and to what extent. But after that, I'm curious as to what they'll do. 

I'll just say I agree completely with what @Philomath and @Use the Falchion said, so you guys don't have to put up with more of my ranting. It was a great show, and I especially loved how they didn't go into the other dimension doing stuff like I thought they would, instead keeping the story smaller. (The DODC were cartoonishly evil, but I thought the Jihn were even more cartoonishly evil, so it was better.)

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Ms. Marvel and I have to say I loved it. There were aspects I didn't love, namely the Jihn. But the rest of the show was great, I love all the actors and the story. I wasn't sure if I was going to like all the stuff with the bangle and the Noor but in general awesome show. Now I just have to figure out how to rank all the Marvel shows, they keep consistently being great (besides Falcon and Winter Solider).