You know Brandon's reach of influence is far when...

I was thinking alot score the minecaft1.19 update and I realized this. Minecraft used one of Sandersons mythical creatures the spren. Here is my evidence. Minecraft renamed it the allay. First the bond you cannot kill it. Second and greatest the finding things syl goes along helping bridge 4 get the weed. And the allay if you give it an item it will find many of them. I think it proves that Mojang used Sanderson's idea of spren.

Notch actually asked Brandon to write something for Minecraft at one point.

Spoiler

mak6453

You all write such engaging and original pieces; do you ever get really frustrated by how uninteresting or underdeveloped stories/worlds are in other forms of media? I see movies and especially video games all of the time that make me think "this had so much potential - I really wish the writers had skills and creativity of some of my favorite fantasy authors."

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, this does happen to me. I watch a film, or play a game, and say, "Oh, man. If they'd just given me this script, this would have been SO EASY to fix!" Then, when video games contact me and ask for help, I realize I don't have the time to actually help them. (Except in a few cases.) I famously even had to say no to Notch when he wrote me and asked if I'd write something for minecraft. (I probably should have done that one, but was tight on deadlines at the time.)

That's the big dichotomy here. We all (including many video game designers) get into this because we want to tell great stories. And when our stories have flaws, they are still OURS. I respect that many of these designers would rather tell their story, even with a few warts, than outsource it. I'd rather do the same thing, in most cases. And so while I sometimes think, "Wow, it would be SO COOL to write a Hawkeye book" when Marvel asked me to do something for them (with a blanket "Anything with any character in the Marvel universe you want) I had to say no because it would have meant delaying Stormlight 3.

Worldbuilders AMA (Dec. 3, 2015)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 0:50 AM, Rg2045 said:

Sadly nobody has made a highstorm or a good stormlight mod for skyrim

You've played it too? Yeah,a good highstorm mod would have been good for Skyrim....but  at least the stormcall shout is something similar to it. A little.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, SandersonFan123 said:

I was thinking alot score the minecaft1.19 update and I realized this. Minecraft used one of Sandersons mythical creatures the spren. Here is my evidence. Minecraft renamed it the allay. First the bond you cannot kill it. Second and greatest the finding things syl goes along helping bridge 4 get the weed. And the allay if you give it an item it will find many of them. I think it proves that Mojang used Sanderson's idea of spren.

Wow, I heard my kids talking about trying to find "allays" in Minecraft and did not make this connection at ALL! -- Doing the "knobweed finding" thing Syl!

...And, do you think it could be a reference to the seon named Ala (pronounce "a-LAY") when Shallan opens the box that Mraize had given her to communicate with him?! At this point, Rhythm of War has been out for quite a while!

Edited by robardin

On 7/6/2022 at 0:09 PM, robardin said:

Wow, I heard my kids talking about trying to find "allays" in Minecraft and did not make this connection at ALL! -- Doing the "knobweed finding" thing Syl!

...And, do you think it could be a reference to the seon named Ala (pronounce "a-LAY") when Shallan opens the box that Mraize had given her to communicate with him?! At this point, Rhythm of War has been out for quite a while!

Yeah that is a great theory

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Ookla the Perpetual said:

There's an item in the game Enter the Gungeon called the Sprun (gun pun on "Spren") that turns into a gun called the Windgunner under specific circumstances. The item description makes references to bridges.

What??? I gotta find this...

On 11/30/2022 at 3:41 PM, Ookla the Perpetual said:

There's an item in the game Enter the Gungeon called the Sprun (gun pun on "Spren") that turns into a gun called the Windgunner under specific circumstances. The item description makes references to bridges.

I was somewhat skeptical if this was a reference at first, but then I looked it up and saw the description:

Transforms into a powerful weapon under mysterious circumstances.

This Bullet Sprite will transform into an enormously powerful radiant energy weapon under certain circumstances. Traditionally, this means showing proficiency in bridge delivery and maintenance. If no bridge is available, however, it will take less important things like courage or determination into consideration.

And the category it's in is The Way of Guns.

(hehe from muscle memory my fingers started typing a K.)

Edited by Ookla the Pencil Taxi