How quickly did you read The Way of Kings?

Not quite sure now since it's been a long time reading it the first time, but it definitely took me well over a month. I was kinda busy then and I struggled with some parts of it (the interludes mainly - I legitimately love the interludes of the two novels after it, but I wasn't sold on them in this book), and I'm also kind of a slow reader. That was 11 years ago. The re-read I did a few years ago was a bit under one week though!

That said, I personally would hate to finish a Stormlight book in one week on the first read-through. All that waiting for such a short experience - I do not envy anyone who does it like that, haha. A new Stormlight book has to be milked for every last drop! :D I can still breeze through it on re-reads.

Edited by Elegy

On 6/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, solarcat93 said:

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I got WoR in the mail Tuesday (the day I commented) and read 100 pages. I picked it back up on Wednesday and I got pretty hooked.  You will most likely enjoy the book more than tWoK considering Shallan's story is pretty interesting. The book kept me on edge the whole time :p, and I ended up finishing Friday.

22 hours ago, Elegy said:

Words of Radiance is the only fantasy book that's better than Way of Kings in my opinion, so there's that :D

Cool! I'll be buying it soon 

Just to put this into perspective, this book is 380,000 words, so 4 times the length of your average book. Reading this thing in one day means you technically could read 4 books that day. Though this thread makes it appear like it's normal to finish it in a short time, you have to keep in mind that this is a site for huge Sanderson fans. I don't think it's representative for how long people need to read it in general at all.

Like, the average reading speed might be 280 words per minute, in that pace, you'd need over 22 hours to read it without ever pausing, which is, like, 5 hours more than people are usually awake on a day.

And Way of Kings is easily the shortest in the series.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:21 AM, Elegy said:

Just to put this into perspective, this book is 380,000 words, so 4 times the length of your average book. Reading this thing in one day means you technically could read 4 books that day. Though this thread makes it appear like it's normal to finish it in a short time, you have to keep in mind that this is a site for huge Sanderson fans. I don't think it's representative for how long people need to read it in general at all.

Like, the average reading speed might be 280 words per minute, in that pace, you'd need over 22 hours to read it without ever pausing, which is, like, 5 hours more than people are usually awake on a day.

And Way of Kings is easily the shortest in the series.

I agree.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:46 AM, Wizard Apocalypse100 said:

Cool! I'll be buying it soon 

Another thing I'd like to mention is there is little scientific evidence that supports dramatically increasing your reading speed, by let's say 3x your original wpm score. In fact, your inner monologue helps with comprehension. As Elegy mentioned, most of the people here are hardcore Sanderson fans who are willing to read one of his SA books in a day. With that being said, enjoy the book! WoR was great :P

Edited by solarcat93