Greetings, everyone.

The past couple of years, I have almost exclusively read non-fiction. This year, I needed an escape. I've always been interested in epic fantasies, but have been somewhat intimated by them and so have read very few - almost zero modern ones.

In February, I finally decided to give The Way of Kings a try. And I put it down only when I absolutely had to. Finished the book, listened to a podcast, found out about something called the Cosmere and have since read Elantris, the Mistborn trilogy (goodness heavens, so beautiful), The Eleventh Metal, The Emperor's Soul, The Hope of Elantris, and started Warbreaker last night. I've greatly enjoyed each book/story.

After Warbreaker, I'll be rereading The Way of Kings and then continuing the Stormlight Archive. Currently, I'm using a Reddit post to establish my reading order. Am I on the right track?

So nice to find a community of people as obsessed as myself!

Welcome! You are on the right track as far as your reading order. The later SA books will only be better with what you are reading now. Only thing I would consider is reading Mistborn Secret History before reading Rhythm of War (and possibly the Wax and Wayne books) but not 100% necessary. Btw Warbreaker is one of my favorite of Brandon's books and I think a little underrated. 

5 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Welcome! You are on the right track as far as your reading order. The later SA books will only be better with what you are reading now. Only thing I would consider is reading Mistborn Secret History before reading Rhythm of War (and possibly the Wax and Wayne books) but not 100% necessary. Btw Warbreaker is one of my favorite of Brandon's books and I think a little underrated. 

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll keep it in mind. And good to know about Warbreaker! I haven’t seen any hate for it, but not as much love as other Sanderson books.

Welcome! 

And as Tani said, you can read the series in any order as they are not really connected. Just yk, make sure your read the actual different book series in their order. 

I read the Mistborn series first (era 1 and 2) 

Then elantris 

Then Warbreaker

Then Stormlight 

And then the short stories and novellas

4 hours ago, Elf said:

Welcome! 

And as Tani said, you can read the series in any order as they are not really connected. Just yk, make sure your read the actual different book series in their order. 

I read the Mistborn series first (era 1 and 2) 

Then elantris 

Then Warbreaker

Then Stormlight 

And then the short stories and novellas

I used to always say this too but with the newest SA books I think reading certain things before really enhances those books. Obviously not mandatory but I think it helps getting the most out of the books. I think Brandon is even backtracking on this a tiny bit recently recommending reading shorts before W&W 4. 

Welcome to the Shard! We are always happy to meet someone new that has been enveloped in Cosmere lore.

I'd say your reading order looks pretty solid. No matter what order you read things in, you kind of just piece things together as you go, and get the big picture once you've read it all. But, if you have extra questions, this site is a great place to go.

My husband first got into the books by reading the novella in between stormlight 3 or 4 (or is it 2 and 3?)

Anyway he was soo confused, but thought since it was short, it wouldn't be such a big commitment.  He has since read them about 3 times each and got me reading them as well. I haven't gotten them all, but I loved all the ones I have read!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! 

Any reading order can work- I'd suggest Stormlight, everything else Cosmere, and then Stormlight again, because it has so many connections to everything else that you're sure to miss the first four times (I speak from experience).