Did Odium get rid of Hoid's bond with Design?

ash's_eyes

Let's see if I can say this so that it actually makes sense. Todium stole some of Hoid's Breaths that store his memories in the RoW epilogue. Hoid is terrified before it happens, but after he says that his meeting with Odium had gone exactly as planned. Did Todium only steal some of his breaths, or is it possible that he also took away something else, such as Hoid's bond with Design? Hoid thought that he just sent Design away, but is it possible that Todium completely took away the bond?

If the answer to this first question is no, then this second point doesn't really matter.

I found this WoB:

Questioner 

Now that Hoid has bonded a spren, is he locked on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that is a problem. Something will happen that is relevant. RAFO.

So Hoid is locked on Roshar while he is bonded to Design. Perhaps the reason that he thought that the meeting went exactly according to plan was so that he could have his bond removed, so that he could leave Roshar? Is this WoB possibly referring to this event?

Hi there! I have removed the Taravangian Odium spoiler in the topic title. Since those can be seen outside the forum in a variety of ways, we can't have big spoilers in topic titles. Sorry about that!

@Rg2045 No comments on Secret Projects are allowed outside the Secret Project forum outside of spoiler tags. We need to allow people to go into those blind if people wish :) 

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Hi there! I have removed the Taravangian Odium spoiler in the topic title. Since those can be seen outside the forum in a variety of ways, we can't have big spoilers in topic titles. Sorry about that!

@Rg2045 No comments on Secret Projects are allowed outside the Secret Project forum outside of spoiler tags. We need to allow people to go into those blind if people wish :) 

Oops sorry 

My reading of that scene is that Odium was working to manipulate Hoid in some way but figuring out the best way to do it, and removing memories of each "bad" attempt. I think that the significance of Hoid's "everything went as planned" thought is that it is a result of that manipulation, not Hoid somehow predicting or influencing which memories the new Odium would annihilate. Hoid is wrong because that's how Odium wants him to think, not what really happened.

But beyond that I think it's even less likely that Hoid wants or needs his bond to Design to be removed, especially with such a complicated method. He's extremely knowledgeable about the Cosmere as well as magic systems, their uses, and consequences. He made a point of bonding Design when he had the chance, and I doubt he'd do that incautiously-- why bond a spren just to turn around a short time later and lose it, along with the power it granted? And if he really needed to, he could just sever the bond himself without risk of exposing himself to Odium.

It's not impossible, though, that Hoid had something he needed the bond to do and then did it between the end of Oathbringer and the end of Rhythm of War. We really don't know what he's up to or what methods he might employ to do it. But I suspect that the "something will happen that is relevant" is more likely to involve people with bonds being more able to travel around generally. Unfortunately it'll probably be a while before we find out for sure...

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

No problem, sorry, I should have known that!