Guns on Roshar?

Odiumiumium

16 hours ago, Rg2045 said:

then maybe it better for the nonradiant shardbearer to cut the cannon ball if they can. That way the ball bounces and the energy is dispersed better

I don't think it would bounce. The ball would be cut cleanly in half and the halves would keep moving and hit the Shardbearer.

16 minutes ago, ShardlessVessel said:

I don't think it would bounce. The ball would be cut cleanly in half and the halves would keep moving and hit the Shardbearer.

Oh they would hit the bearer but the halfs should bounce away in a movie like way. Damage yes but a whole lot less follow through 

1 hour ago, Rg2045 said:

Oh they would hit the bearer but the halfs should bounce away in a movie like way. Damage yes but a whole lot less follow through 

How much resistance do you think a shardblade would give to a cannonball being cut in half?   Forged in fire has done a few strength tests where they cut the bullet with the blade and those 2 halves still tear through the backdrop pretty easily.   That isn't even a magical blade that cuts through stone like butter.  I anticipate you would just get hit by 2 halves of a cannon ball and the combined energy would likely be nearly the exact same as if it wasn't cut in half at all.  

I also assume the amount of momentum and kinetic energy from half a cannon ball is still going to be soooo much more momentum than a bullet that it doesn't much matter... your plate is gonna feel that and inside you are gonna get scrambled up pretty good. 

I was just watching the clip from Blacksails where the Man of War spun around and totally destroyed 2 ships at once.   Those cannons tore through everything in their path.  I don't know that the shardblade even cutting it down in half is going to help the shardbearer down range.  

40 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

How much resistance do you think a shardblade would give to a cannonball being cut in half?   

Yeah. the resistance described in the books is a "slight tugging" which i doubt a cannonball will care too much about

29 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

How much resistance do you think a shardblade would give to a cannonball being cut in half?   Forged in fire has done a few strength tests where they cut the bullet with the blade and those 2 halves still tear through the backdrop pretty easily.   That isn't even a magical blade that cuts through stone like butter.  I anticipate you would just get hit by 2 halves of a cannon ball and the combined energy would likely be nearly the exact same as if it wasn't cut in half at all.  

I also assume the amount of momentum and kinetic energy from half a cannon ball is still going to be soooo much more momentum than a bullet that it doesn't much matter... your plate is gonna feel that and inside you are gonna get scrambled up pretty good. 

I was just watching the clip from Blacksails where the Man of War spun around and totally destroyed 2 ships at once.   Those cannons tore through everything in their path.  I don't know that the shardblade even cutting it down in half is going to help the shardbearer down range.  

One I’m not saying the blade stops the ball I’m saying that the cannon ball hits you with the full initial impact but then transfer the rest of the momentum to the sides like a bullet ricochet. 
not best scenario but certainly better the being hit and pushed by the cannon

3 hours ago, Rg2045 said:

One I’m not saying the blade stops the ball I’m saying that the cannon ball hits you with the full initial impact but then transfer the rest of the momentum to the sides like a bullet ricochet. 
not best scenario but certainly better the being hit and pushed by the cannon

So like the cannon ball will hit at an angle,  and bounce off more easily? That might work, but the Plate would be severely damaged, and it would still be no joke to be hit with almost the full force of a cannon ball, regardless of whether it glances off or not. And, additionally, Blades do not cut normally, they have no thickness, in a sense, when cutting. that means they do not really separate the material, and thus dont give it much momentum to the side

23 minutes ago, Odiumiumium said:

So like the cannon ball will hit at an angle,  and bounce off more easily? That might work, but the Plate would be severely damaged, and it would still be no joke to be hit with almost the full force of a cannon ball, regardless of whether it glances off or not. And, additionally, Blades do not cut normally, they have no thickness, in a sense, when cutting. that means they do not really separate the material, and thus dont give it much momentum to the side

I’m not saying it’s ideal just better, also it just better to dodge the cannon, tho we don’t know the force the listeners slings had. They threw rocks the size of heads at the shardbearers

A proper Radiant Blade might be able to take a wedge-like shape that could guide the cannonball halves off course enough that they would miss the Shardbearer, though they would still have to absorb the a good deal of kinetic energy in the process. Definitely a don't-try-it-without-Plate scenario. Other shapes a Radiant spren might manifest could also be useful, especially if you can drive a spike or wide blade down into the ground in front of yourself (with the flat perpendicular to the path of the cannonball) and a larger, shield-like section to actually be struck. The spren won't break, the force is resisted by the ground rather than your Plate or body, and there isn't any residual projectile coming at you. Scholars like Navani might even be able to conceive of very precise structures which dissipate the kinetic energy even more efficiently, like crumple zones in a car chassis (though a Shardblade probably isn't going to crumple, no matter how it's configured).

Otherwise I have a hard time seeing the cannonball being cut in half a foot or two before impact being much help. Maybe better than nothing in a truly desperate situation, sort of like how Vasher describes a lastclap: an unreliable move at best, and if you are in need of it you're far more likely to die than not even if you execute the maneuver perfectly.

I think we may be underestimating the shock absorption that Plate gives. Zahel's "standard" training for a newbie in dead Plate was to have them repeatedly dive head first into the ground from high up. I'm guessing that should still be enough force under normal circumstances to either give a concussion or break the neck. It certainly would for conventional armor I think, but Renarin was fine. Sure he was a proto-Radiant, but this was training for normal, if older Shardbearers. Something about the Plate gives them supernatural shock absorption, because jumping off of 40-50 foot cliffs should still shock your internal organs such as your brain as they collide or flatten against skull, ribs, etc.

For someone in dead Plate, I'd recommend planting the Blade in the ground at a relatively shallow angle, the flat pointed at the cannonball, the Shardbearer ducking beneath the Blade and bracing upwards. The goal is to deflect the cannonball away, not block it. Something similar to the stance the grey Shardbearer is using on the third box down, but with the Blade touching the ground and the Shardbearer crouching lower. This may be close enough to an existing stance that it would be relatively easy to adapt. It also allows you to still be somewhat prepared for other assailants, since admittedly you probably should just dodge or dive flat if you can. 

Scroll_of_Stances.jpeg

Edited by Duxredux
clarity

On 6/6/2022 at 7:27 AM, Duxredux said:

I think we may be underestimating the shock absorption that Plate gives. Zahel's "standard" training for a newbie in dead Plate was to have them repeatedly dive head first into the ground from high up. I'm guessing that should still be enough force under normal circumstances to either give a concussion or break the neck. It certainly would for conventional armor I think, but Renarin was fine. Sure he was a proto-Radiant, but this was training for normal, if older Shardbearers. Something about the Plate gives them supernatural shock absorption, because jumping off of 40-50 foot cliffs should still shock your internal organs such as your brain as they collide or flatten against skull, ribs, etc.

For someone in dead Plate, I'd recommend planting the Blade in the ground at a relatively shallow angle, the flat pointed at the cannonball, the Shardbearer ducking beneath the Blade and bracing upwards. The goal is to deflect the cannonball away, not block it. Something similar to the stance the grey Shardbearer is using on the third box down, but with the Blade touching the ground and the Shardbearer crouching lower. This may be close enough to an existing stance that it would be relatively easy to adapt. It also allows you to still be somewhat prepared for other assailants, since admittedly you probably should just dodge or dive flat if you can. 

Scroll_of_Stances.jpeg

Perhaps one thing to also take into account is the lighter gravity on roshar