Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cometaryorbit

predicting the other Dawnshards

6 posts in this topic

This thread is only in this forum because Virtuosity is mentioned.

We know one of the Dawnshards is Change, and another has something to do with binding.

Hoid's Dawnshard, its aftereffects preventing him from harming anyone or eating meat, is likely something like "Protect" or "Remain (the same)".

The 4 Shards under "Change" are likely:

1. Ruin - (entropy)

2. Cultivation (controlled/directed growth)

3. Whimsy (change for the sake of change/undirected change)

4. Odium (whose core intent, from RoW, I think is conflict, or conflict for conflict's sake perhaps, rather than simply hate).

Under "Protect/Remain" (Hoid's) would be:

5. Preservation-- stasis, remaining the same

6. Valor -- risking oneself to protect

7. Autonomy-- separation or protection from external influences

8. Mercy -- protection from punishment or the bad effects of one's actions

The ones associated with "Bind" would be:

9. Devotion - unity through love

10. Dominion- unity through force/compulsion/power

11. Honor- oaths/bonds

12. Perhaps Ambition, depending on what Ambition's precise intent is (is it more about increasing one's influence over others, which would fit this quadrant? Or more about self improvement, which wouldn't fit?)

The 3 remaining known Shards are:

13. Virtuosity (artistic creativity)

14. Endowment  (giving a part of oneself)

15. Invention (technological creativity perhaps?)

That IMO suggests that the last Dawnshard is something like "Create" or "Bestow".

--

To get very speculative, the use of the Dawnshards as weapons against Adonalsium might have involved using Change to make the unity of Adonalsium changeable/fragile; Create/Bestow to Bestow separate Intents on the parts; Bind to Bind them to sixteen Vessels, ripping Adonalsium apart; and Remain/Protect to stabilize the new Shards.

How much perfection... Very good theory.

Posted (edited)

On 5/31/2022 at 11:57 AM, cometaryorbit said:

This thread is only in this forum because Virtuosity is mentioned.

I love this! I made some tweaks

The 4 Shards under "Change" are likely:

1. Ruin - (entropy)

2. Cultivation (controlled/directed growth)

3. Whimsy (change for the sake of change/undirected change)

4. Ambition - *Shrug* it has to go somewhere. Ambition is generally about obtaining something one doesn't already have status, wealth, titles etc. Changing things in a self-centered way. 

Under "Protect/Remain" (Hoid's) would be:

5. Preservation-- stasis, remaining the same

6. Valor -- risking oneself to protect

7. Autonomy-- separation or protection from external influences (This fits really well when you put it that way! I always have trouble placing Autonomy.)

8. Mercy -- protection from punishment or the bad effects of one's actions. (I don't love it here, but it doesn't fit anywhere else and what you say about sparing someone makes sense.) 

The ones associated with "Bind" would be:

9. Devotion - unity through love

10. Dominion- unity through force/compulsion/power

11. Honor- oaths/bonds

12. Odium unite through hatred of a common enemy & other shared emotional experiences. 

Create, Bestow, Live(?), Exist(??)

13. Virtuosity (artistic creativity)

14. Endowment  (giving a part of oneself) Could go in Change since giving changes both the giver and the recipient in some way (or at least what stuff they have). I like it here because it fits with Giving or Bestowing Life. 

15. Invention (technological creativity perhaps?) 

16:  Wisdom - The Mystery Shard that wanted to hide & survive at one point. That's a wise choice. Wisdom is gained through life experience goes with living and trying new things to accumulate experiences from which one gains more Wisdom. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

I see Odium as being mostly about conflict, given RoW's stuff about 'the power wants disagreement/conflict even if the Vessel wants to be obeyed without question'. So I don't really see it as fitting with the Dawnshard 'known to bind'. Yes, there's that Elantris quote about hatred uniting, but even that is unity *against* an enemy, still conflict focused.

Ambition under Change works really well though...

19 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

I see Odium as being mostly about conflict, given RoW's stuff about 'the power wants disagreement/conflict even if the Vessel wants to be obeyed without question'. So I don't really see it as fitting with the Dawnshard 'known to bind'. Yes, there's that Elantris quote about hatred uniting, but even that is unity *against* an enemy, still conflict focused.

Ambition under Change works really well though...

Yeah, Odium as shown in SA has been about division and not adhesion. In fact his Fused cannot even use the Surge Adhesion for some reason and Odium tells them it is a false Surge (I imagine him saying this like he's calling it a fake friend :) ). I think something Honor & Cultivation did in binding him to Braize made Adhesion unusable by him, but that's a whole tangent. 

Either way Odium I agree that Odium primarily only inspires unity as a secondary reaction, it is not really the intent.  

The 4th Change Shard is tough. Only Endowment is directly the act of changing something like Cultivation it describes an act of change although a more indirect change. Ambition and Odium are emotional / cognitive motivations that can drive change, but aren't necessarily about change. 

I do like Ambition and Endowment together in the Create, Bestow category. These Shards are the personality traits of a creator god. One has to have a lot of Ambition to create all these solar systems and lifeforms and Endowment relating to the gift of life fits well. 

I realy like that Devotion + Dominion are in the bind/unite dawnshard since in Elantris we see thata in the planet they occupy the religions she-dereth and shu-korath are both about unity, one from love and one from control.