Origin of Usernames.

Mine is pretty obvious. I got Truthwatcher in the Radiant order test, and chose the power of an Archivist (feruchemical copper) because... Memory! I have a relatively good memory, and it's important to me. Since I didn't really have much internet life before joining the Shard, so I take that name with me to other places where people will never have any idea as to why I chose it. No better than my sister, who uses a combination of her two favorite characters as username in many places. In Hebrew speaking places I usually use another name - Galard, a name of a character of mine, because this one doesn't translate well.

I’ve had like four different usernames and the first two I had because I didn’t know what I was doing on the shard. The third one I made was (as some of you may recall) because of my succulent Maddie. I named her, Maddie the Succulent. then i decided to just make my account Maddie The Survivor. 

(also maddie is still alive, i think…)

• 2 weeks later...

"Eran" is very crude Elvish for something like "lone wanderer," Arcadia is the city in California where I served my LDS mission, and I got the idea to put the two together from the show "Joan of Arcadia." Which I've never seen. Nonetheless, I've been using this name all over the internet since 2004.

Edited by Eran of Arcadia

• 3 months later...

Just a Lifetime is a song by The Legendary Pink Dots (LPD), from their 1990 album The Crushed Velvet Apocalypse.

Dragons walked the earth again, and paraffin was free
A fire-eater went insane, and torched the final tree
And one fine day the planet crumbled, just 'cause someone sneezed
For this, for this... We waited just a lifetime

I like that it also works at a more meta level, since I am just a lifetime.

My 'Member Title' is a line from a different LPD song, The Ocean Cried 'Blue Murder'.  For the potentially curious, I'll mention that Amanda Palmer (whom some on this site may know best as Neil Gaiman's wife) has compiled a Spotify playlist of her favorite LPD songs.  I also see that their 2022 North American tour kicks off next week in Salt Lake City.

Edited by Just a Lifetime
Turn off syntax highlighting in lyrics

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I love Elantris, aons, and Brandon Sanderson, so I want to tell others about them!

Ergo, Telrao. And it sounds almost like something a cat would say like "tel-rraow?"

And, heh, it took me about a minute's contemplation to come up with :P 

• 2 weeks later...

My username comes from a weird niche indie author. You guys might have heard of him. His name is umm, Brandon Sanderson I think? :P

Well, I made an account in the first place so that I could get a manuscript of Aether of Night, so I didn't put much thought into my name. I liked alteration, and I liked mistings. Mr. Misting was born.

Edited by Mr. Misting

My username is a yugioh card. I wanted to see how many people would get it, but no one did. (I guess I kinda picked a random card) I'm pretty sure it means "storm dragon" in Japanese, but I didn't know that until after I made my account. My old pfp was actually the card illustration, but I changed it because the pic was so small you couldn't really tell it was a dragon. I almost did Ruby, which is a part of my author name, but that sounds too much like an actual person name, so I went with an obscure card game reference.

One day in seminary, one of my XC buddies was assigned to write people on the board for the devotional. He wrote nicknames to everyone and wrote me as Greg. It eventually kind of became a nickname to my close friends and some other friends from XC and I use it for usernames and stuff. Not creative, but I like the username Gregorio (or Gregoreo sometimes). 

• 2 weeks later...