Syl, to Kaladin, is constantly nakedish

Re-reading RoW and in chapter two Kaladin comments how Syl isn’t human or Vorin and doesn’t cover her safe hand. But given how awkward Shallan is about her hand on various escapades, it is fair to assume Kaladin sees Syl as at least a little naked at all times. 

I go back and forth on shipping Syladin but it’s kinda funny to think about how Kal just has this half naked fairy friend with him at all times. Especially because she seems to like him romantically, as in the same scene she talks about changing her dress for Kaladin with Adolins advice. 

thx for coming to my Ted talk

Covering the safehand is a right of passage and mark of maturity when Vorin girls reach age 12. I'd guess that to Kaladin, Syl's simple dress without the sleeve emphasizes her child-like nature, at least early on (kind of like how you just ignore the naked toddler sprinting down the street, sometimes with a stressed parent in hot pursuit depending on where you live). As seen with Navani and Dalinar, touching with the safehand can also be viewed as familial intimacy (can't remember if the hand was uncovered in that scene, but I'd guess that gesture isn't only for a couple). And yes, seeing the safehand can be as salacious as *gasp* catching sight of a girl's ankles using an old earth analog. There's three possibilities for how an unclothed safehand can be viewed to a Vorin man. Take your pick for which is your headcanon for Kal and Syl.

Growing awareness of the safehand custom is an indication in-world that Syl is maturing (or may be viewed as dress up). Further awareness that she isn't Vorin is another marker. If Kal and Syl start getting real awkward about Syl's hand, then we'll know what that means. 

4 hours ago, Duxredux said:

Covering the safehand is a right of passage and mark of maturity when Vorin girls reach age 12. I'd guess that to Kaladin, Syl's simple dress without the sleeve emphasizes her child-like nature, at least early on (kind of like how you just ignore the naked toddler sprinting down the street, sometimes with a stressed parent in hot pursuit depending on where you live). As seen with Navani and Dalinar, touching with the safehand can also be viewed as familial intimacy (can't remember if the hand was uncovered in that scene, but I'd guess that gesture isn't only for a couple). And yes, seeing the safehand can be as salacious as *gasp* catching sight of a girl's ankles using an old earth analog. There's three possibilities for how an unclothed safehand can be viewed to a Vorin man. Take your pick for which is your headcanon for Kal and Syl.

Growing awareness of the safehand custom is an indication in-world that Syl is maturing (or may be viewed as dress up). Further awareness that she isn't Vorin is another marker. If Kal and Syl start getting real awkward about Syl's hand, then we'll know what that means. 

It is also simply less of an overwhelming thing among the Darkeyes compared to the lighteyed aristocracy. Darkeyed women cant afford to hobble themselves with a sleeve all the time so they more often just were a glove, and consequently have less mystery around their safehand.  I think the analogy there women wearing pants rather than skirts or dresses in frontier times.  

On 5/23/2022 at 9:13 PM, i’m in the details said:

Re-reading RoW and in chapter two Kaladin comments how Syl isn’t human or Vorin and doesn’t cover her safe hand. But given how awkward Shallan is about her hand on various escapades, it is fair to assume Kaladin sees Syl as at least a little naked at all times. 

I go back and forth on shipping Syladin but it’s kinda funny to think about how Kal just has this half naked fairy friend with him at all times. Especially because she seems to like him romantically, as in the same scene she talks about changing her dress for Kaladin with Adolins advice. 

thx for coming to my Ted talk

I agree. It’s extremely risqué which is the sole reason my children aren’t allowed to read stormlight.