*insert accusations against Matrix’s Dice for being the only player to make a vote so far, and such an unfounded one at that, too*

*insert comment about being very surprised to see that I have the drop down color menu on mobile now*

Ooh Matrix’s Dice is a new one. Kinda like that. But you know just as well as I that your accusation is much more unfounded than mine, because mine doesn’t have a foundation and yours has a faulty one :P.

And you can thank the color menu to a thread from a few weeks ago, and Chaos.

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

*insert comment about being very surprised to see that I have the drop down color menu on mobile now*

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

And you can thank the color menu to a thread from a few weeks ago, and Chaos.

You have me to thank for that you mean.

What are people's thoughts on claiming roleless?

@Fifth Scholar, @Kasimir, can a copper ferring quote a person, then edit said quote to paraphrase?

Fun Fact: I have no idea how the rules work, and it's 2 AM! So I'm not going to do that right now. 
I'm actually not sure how active I'll be, I do work for most of the day, but hypothetically I have time both before and after work. So, hopefully I'll be responsible. 

49 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

What are people's thoughts on claiming roleless?

What do you mean? This feels like something an elim should ask their teammates xD I would say that as a rule of thumb, claiming early-game is bad. But this question just feels kinda like…forced contribution(?) The Unknown Novel 

Trying to work out whether I feel like Striker/Mat E/E based on that interaction.

4 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

*Rolls random number generator*

Steel

Are you voting or claiming?? :ph34r:

Still working through the rules, but I suggest caution when it comes to using the more aggressive generic abilities. RNG is a fickle mistress and if half of us decide wanton murder is the way to go, we could end up with entirely too many dead players.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

@Fifth Scholar, @Kasimir, can a copper ferring quote a person, then edit said quote to paraphrase?

Unless things have changed, it’s against SE rules to substantively alter the content of your posts in an edit—you can fix spelling/grammar things, add further content, or issue clarification on something you said which was vague or poorly typed which had the opposite meaning from what you wanted it to, but you cannot simply memory-hole what you did in a past post. This would extend to quoting and then changing to a paraphrase for the Archivists.

Edit: Regarding quote-boxes, please don’t tamper with those—if an Archivist uses one but paraphrases inside it, I’ll probably not look closely enough and assume that they’re quoting :P Also just generally not a great policy to claim to represent what someone is saying exactly and instead inserting your own summary, so this goes beyond Archivists as well :P 

Edited by Fifth Scholar

I like Stick’s TUN read. I don’t necessarily agree with it, but I like it.

Tbh I feel something similar about Elan asking caution; that’s definitely something a villager says but I gut read it as elim anyway :P.

Artwyn’s bones creaked as he rose to the morning light and set about his routine, such as it was. Boiled grain for breakfast, followed by a review of the day’s tasks. Folks didn’t seem to care as much about their furniture with murder in the air, so he had less of that to do, but there were always plenty of errands to be run.

A crowd had gathered toward the center of town, already discussing who might be a spy from the Inquisition. Artwyn assumed they’d settle down after a bit, but one thing in particular stuck out to him. A beggar known locally as Steel claimed to have no knowledge of Feruchemy. Now, that seemed either like a lie, or like plain foolishness, and neither would help settle things down. And while an agent of the Steel Ministry was unlikely to be foolish in fact, it could suit their purposes to appear as such.

I think rollover is a midnight for me, so don't expect much from me at EoD.

--Sooo we've got a hail Mary alignment scanner in the form of the Copper Ferring, but they're fairly catchable because their vote will get redirected, which over the minimum three turns it takes them to get fully charged up, will be fairly obvious even if no one quotes. It's possible that there's been a heavy distribution of vote manip to compensate though, so I suggest we avoid quoting for today anyway. Realistically, the only place they can hide is among frequent non-voters, so if describes you, feel free to help our potential Copper Ferring out by maintaining their win con.

--Members of the Synod should avoid claiming so that the elims can't use strategic NKing to gain control of the kill. If that ship has sailed, enforcing accountability is the next best option. At least make it awkward to blatantly seize control. I'd bank on there being at least one elim in the doc, but maybe not too many because villagers can easily misfire on their own just fine so why make it too easy? My preference on the mill's use would be to hang on to it as a threat to avoid an emboldened elim team. 

--I usually assume role madness in games like these, TUN, so if you want to disprove that, go ahead. But you're probably better off trolling if you're a vanilla. 
--RNG is for evil cowards yada yada don't like it
--This vote was not RNG: Araris

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

--I usually assume role madness in games like these, TUN, so if you want to disprove that, go ahead. But you're probably better off trolling if you're a vanilla. 

Why assume role madness? Most of these roles are pretty powerful given time, so increasing the chance of one happening could change the balance. Also, roleless can still put in actions in this game, so that makes them even more likely in my eyes.

9 hours ago, _Stick_ said:

What do you mean? This feels like something an elim should ask their teammates xD I would say that as a rule of thumb, claiming early-game is bad. But this question just feels kinda like…forced contribution(?) The Unknown Novel 

It's been a topic of discussion decently recently whether vanilla/roleless should claim. Roles claiming is generally a no no, but roleless goes back and forth.

I will say that I’d prefer vanillas not claim en masse in most games, as it lets people narrow down the people who have roles a whole lot. Not so much a point for this game, but I think it means that non-Feruchemists must be Synod members. So don’t claim that. (Also don’t claim non-Synod for similar reasons.)

@Araris Valerian, why did you say Steel didn’t know about Feruchemy?

4 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

He said he didn't understand the rules:

10 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Fun Fact: I have no idea how the rules work, and it's 2 AM! So I'm not going to do that right now. 

But Fifth specifically said in the writeup:

15 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

A reminder: If you wish to fill a metalmind, please, please, please PM us BEFORE posting. Some metalminds have fill conditions which you will accidentally violate if you post indiscriminately. Look at your role and description, and ask Kas or myself if you are confused. 

So either Steel was lying about not understanding the rules, or he was deliberately posting without understanding that it might affect his ability to store, or he didn't read the writeup and posted anyways. None of these are helpful to the village.

21 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

So either Steel was lying about not understanding the rules, or he was deliberately posting without understanding that it might affect his ability to store, or he didn't read the writeup and posted anyways. None of these are helpful to the village.

I hadn't read the rules, but I did check my GMPM before posting, so that is a possibility. 

I would like to point out that about half the people who’ve posted have already failed the Copper storing requirements. I don’t really want to find out who’s going Copper on Day 1.

As for Steel earlyposting… interesting, but I don’t know what I’d draw from it.

34 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

I will say that I’d prefer vanillas not claim en masse in most games, as it lets people narrow down the people who have roles a whole lot. Not so much a point for this game, but I think it means that non-Feruchemists must be Synod members. So don’t claim that. (Also don’t claim non-Synod for similar reasons.)

I’m pretty sure you can be a Feruchemist and a Synod member simultaneously 

29 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Hm I’ll admit this is a decent point, but my GM PM told me stuff about my role so it’s possible that Steel just went off the info in his GM PM? 

*insert Araris quote here*

He said, while reacting to my post. :P. 

*quote GM here*

XD. To respond to a moot point, when GMs come up with lots of fun roles, their first thought is usually how can I fit as many of these as possible into the game so I can see what happens with them? Which leads to a preference for role madness and role uniqueness when there's extensive rulesets.

TUN raises an interesting topic though by reminding us that generic abilities exist! (Hidden near the end of the doc...) And uhhhh, we can kill people? As villagers? Well one of us can. That feels important. It's lightly countered by the Protect ability, making it likely a village hindrance more than anything. We have to submit kills to keep the elims from doing it, but the elims know to protect each other, so even if we get it right, it might sputter anyway. So we need a mix of kills and protects to be submitted. Fun! Everyone go read those and panic about the pace of the game with me

To respond to Ash, at this point you're better off hiding your power role by intentionally failing your fillcon one Day and making it up with a double fill. The list is going to narrow very quickly. If someone wants to post a list of fillcons, that might help things. 

23 minutes ago, Archer said:

To respond to Ash, at this point you're better off hiding your power role by intentionally failing your fillcon one Day and making it up with a double fill. The list is going to narrow very quickly. If someone wants to post a list of fillcons, that might help things. 

That's definitely the best way to go about it. Though if you don't get the double fill you will be behind the elims who have nothing to fear. I will certainly go for the double fill next night and may or may not be filling today.

I think fills and fill strategy shouldn’t be a point of discussion at all, if we care about anonymity, though I like Archer’s idea of not quoting as a general rule. I think I still work for that? Maybe not, I tend to quote more often than not, but I’ve only opened this game on mobile so there’s a chance. Maybe I’m just doing the no fill -> Double fill strat :P.

My gut says TUN is village. Unsure about Araris, but if he found an actual point about Steel then that makes Jeral happy.

I believe Elandera misunderstood the way generic abilities work, falsely implying that 50% of people need to send in a Generic Kill order in order for it to go off, when that's actually more like how the Synod kill works. 50% is a relevant number to the generic kill because that's how much of the time it works with a low player count. Currently, it should always work if Kill is an approved action for that Night's list the GM makes up, with a random person's request being selected and used.

I think Araris reacting to a reaction test to say reaction tests don't prompt reactions shows a smidge of elim-like combativeness, but I actually like their reason for their Steel stab and am okay with them discussion driving with comments like that. 

Mat dissuading discussion is, conversely, a bad look. Actually no it might be to keep info from the elims. Mat, why'd you say that