what Shard would you choose?

The most recent Shardcast got me thinking about this...

Preservation is definitely the best fit for my personality (I dislike change and have a protective side, am deeply interested in the environment, etc.) but Preservation alone easily becomes harmful stasis, so that might actually be a bad idea.

Maybe Mercy?

Hm...I think either Whimsy or Invention would be what I would choose. For which one would fit me the best...I don't know, actually. Unless the last one somehow perfectly fits my personality, then I guess I'm just not really cut out for Shardhood. 

If I were to make up my own Shard to be, it would most likely be Knowledge or Intelligence.

This topic has come up before (pre-RoW) and my pick back then was Dominion on the theory that it broadly represents the desire for things to be orderly and hierarchical, on the further assumption that I could control that intent well enough to encourage the development of something closer to ancient Egypt or China (long-lasting and stable civilizations) as opposed to something repressively theocratic like Fjorden.

Since then we've gotten the rest of the Shards more or less sorted save one whose Intent we're still speculating on, so Virtuosity would probably take over my top pick based on what Brandon has said it represents, then Dominion, then probably Honor.

Honor or Dominion are definitely the ones for me. Mostly because if I hear someone break their word for any reason (even good ones), I immediately assume that they were in the wrong to break their word. I have virtually no forgiveness for it as a reader. I also really appreciate an ordered civilization that stays stable.  

I think a great hybrid shard would be Honor and Mercy. Hold people to their oaths and keep people accountable for the things they do / don't do. But then also be understanding of the circumstances and empathetic enough to let things slide when it is the right thing to do. I'm not sure what to call it though... maybe Wisdom (if that isn't one of the unknown shards already) or Balance? Could do Empathy and Compassion maybe too but they seem heavy on the mercy side maybe. Anyone else have ideas?

Devotion sounds like a safe bet. If not that, Endowment. 

If I can have two, then I choose Whimsey and Cultivation together. To have a whimsical creator guiding the evolution of a planet would be amazing. 

Edited by teknopathetic

• 2 weeks later...

Cultivation and Virtuosity! Although it's important to note that I wouldn't have picked Virtuosity based on my initial interpretation of it (something like Perfection). But then Brandon described it as the Shard of Artistry instead and that made it a no-brainer.

It's kind of surprising how easy this has become for me, given that there are 16 of them (well, 15 for now). When I first learnt about the Shards, I was certain it would be impossible to decide, but here we are.

I'd like to say Honor, Valor, or Virtuosity, but I'd probably go Odium and try to direct my hatred towards unjust things. (And then try to fuse with either Honor or Valor to create a version of Vengeance...and then create an Avatar that is Invested with an Invention-based magic system so I can be Batman...)

Edited by Use the Falchion

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.6.2022 at 4:29 AM, Johnny Silverlight said:

If there was a shard of Knowledge, that would be the one I would most want. Since there isn't, I would definitely choose Invention. My second choice would be Virtuosity.

The striving for knowledge seems to be a Cultivation thing. But yeah, Invention probably has similar tendencies, which is why I also like it a lot :)

• 2 weeks later...