Where did Hoid know Rayse from? Which book series?

4 minutes ago, Kaladin Protection Squad said:

what the title says ig...soemthing ive been wondering about for a while

Hoid was with all of the original Vessels on Yolen during the shattering and knew them. This story has not been published yet though and will be Hoid's origination story. The info we have on this is essentially all through Words of Brandon. Here are a few relevant ones in tags for length. 

Spoiler

Wyndlerunner

You said that Hoid knows all sixteen of the original Vessels. Was he ever involved in their little, "We're going to Shatter Adonalsium," thing?

Brandon Sanderson

Involved? Under loose definitions, yes.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

Hoid was once offered a Shard, but he refused it, right?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Was it right after the Shattering?

Yes. It was during the events. I wouldn't necessarily say "right after", it was during this process. I would say this is a RAFO before I finish writing at that time. (Not sure if I understood the last sentence right, but I think that's what he said)

Questioner (paraphrased)

And who took this Shard instead?

RAFO.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

Spoiler

Questioner

So, Hoid was there during the Shattering of Adonalsium. Odium is going around, like, destroying other Shards. We know that Hoid is collecting and has pieces of some of the other Shards.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Since Hoid was there at the original Shattering of Adonalsium. Is there an echo image of the original Adonalsium in Hoid?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, that's a RAFO. Here's your card. But it is a valid theory.

Questioner

I have a two-parter on that.

Brandon Sanderson

You can ask me the next part, but it is a RAFO.

Questioner

Is his end goal trying to join as many pieces of Adonalsium together to *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

Um, that, I will give a "that's a very good guess." And that is what the books seem to indicate is happening.

Salt Lake City ComicCon 2017 (Sept. 21, 2017)

As mentioned, Hoid is really really old and his origin story has yet to be properly written. A lot of what we know comes from WoBs but if you're just looking at the books you can piece together some of it from the clues dropped in Stormlight Archive. Oathbringer in particular has the conversation with Shallan where he says that he's so ancient that 'old' isn't even the right word for it; he was already merely old when the Heralds were babes in arms. That gives you an idea how long Hoid has been around even if you have nothing else to work with.

The other big source is the Letters that form part of the epigraphs for each book. The first letter is written from Hoid to Frost, the only individual known to be older than Hoid. In it, Hoid mentions five Vessels by name including Rayse, and states that the two have a long-running grudge. The second Letter is Frost's reply back and mentions Adonalsium and indirectly states that he, Hoid and Rayse were all there for the Shattering because he mentions that Rayse is "what we made him to be, old friend. And that is what he, unfortunately, wished to become". The third and fourth letters both mention that Hoid had the chance to take up one of the Shards himself but turned it down. Take all of those things together and you get the big picture of how Hoid and Rayse know each other.

All the clues I mention are found in Stormlight Archive. Frost only appears there (via the letter epigraphs), in a short piece Brandon read at an event and in the unpublished Dragonsteel Prime,; you can read some excerpts here. Oh, and we know from WoBs that he's a dragon, hence Hoid referring to him as 'old reptile'.