Opinions on Jasnahoid?

Opinions on Jasnahoid? [Poll]  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about Jasnahoid as a relationship?

• I like it!
    • I don't have an opinion.
    • I don't like it!
    • My feelings are complicated.

I'm definitely in the I do not like it camp, and while I have a couple different reasons, the largest is just that it makes me feel uncomfortable. I mean Hoid's age has to be counted in millennia and, unless something weird happens, Jasnah will be dust in what is a blink of an eye from his perspective. There is something about an ancient immortal falling in love with someone who's not even forty yet. That situation just feels unethical to me even if its not necessarily amoral.

Edited by HSuperLee

My biggest issue is that they disagree on a fundamental level and it can't be a casual thing because of Jasnah's personalities and sexuality. We know that Hoid would let Roshar be destroyed while Jasnah absolutely would not. That kind of disagreement can't really be compromised nor could of them just go along with the other's preferences. Plus, I think Brandon intentionally wrote the Jasnah POV scene to feel off because he's foreshadowing that they will break off resulting in Hoid taking over the hole filled by T's crew. 

I like it personally as I think it's nice for Hoid and Jasnah to have a partner

I do think that they will break it off eventually because of their overall conflicting goals related to Roshar, but it's nice to give her someone who doesn't feel threatened by her, is on her level, and can stand toe-to-toe with her intellectually as well as magically, and also gives a lot of outlets of information passage about the Cosmere

I enjoyed reading the Jasnah and Wit chapter because it lets us see an interesting new side to both characters, and it also makes sense that these two got together. Both of them are used to operating alone, and they took a rare opportunity to be close with someone who is on their level. Both of them can accept and understand the other’s quirks in a way that most people couldn’t. 

Having said that, I don’t expect their relationship will last long. Both characters are on different trajectories, so it would be hard for them to stay together. Also, both are planned to be main characters in the future, so if Brandon was planning a grand romance between them, I doubt so much of how they got together would be off-screen.

I don't expect them to stay together, but I don't think either of *them* expects that either. Jasnah must now know that Hoid is ancient and from off-world, and Hoid couldn't really be looking at this as a "forever" relationship unless he has a plan to make Jasnah immortal or nearly so.

(Well, I guess the latter isn't really that implausible, Hoid could be planning to visit Nalthis once this war is over and get 2000 Breaths, or maybe he knows where another Dawnshard is...)

6 hours ago, RedBlue said:

Both of them are used to operating alone, and they took a rare opportunity to be close with someone who is on their level. Both of them can accept and understand the other’s quirks in a way that most people couldn’t.

Yeah, exactly. I think Jasnah is one of the very few people who has gotten to a point where she can talk to Hoid as an equal, within a normal human lifetime. Not in knowledge, surely, but in depth of self-understanding and so on.

But I think they both also see pragmatic benefits in the relationship. Jasnah, as queen, is able to accomplish things Hoid otherwise couldn't, and Hoid has knowledge Jasnah couldn't otherwise obtain.

(Which doesn't mean they don't care about each other - they do - but I think both are the kind of personalities who are very aware of the pragmatic side as well.)

Edited by cometaryorbit

I voted for the “My feelings are complicated.” Because I think it was a good author choice by Brandon (it feels like a thing that the characters would do) but I don’t have to like it. I don’t think they’re good together. If that makes any sense.

I absolutely love it. In Oathbringer I first thought that they should be together, and I was very happy to see that they were. The age difference and the intelligence and knowledge that comes with it is one of the reasons why Jasnah---dare I say---loves Hoid, and her... stability, (paranoia...,) intelligence, complexitiy, beauty, and her difference from the people of her time are the reasons why Wit likes her. I honestly love the relationship---I made a whole topic about it..........---and they are perfect for each other. We are able to see what these characters are like on another level, and I think their relationship has a lot of potential.

Like, world-taking-over-and-worldhopping potential.

Hm, I wrote this all in italics. Whatever.