Give Lift an Honorblade, can she use 3 Lights?

Duxredux

I found this:

Questioner

Let's say Lift got a hold of Szeth's Honorblade? Would she become a [Windrunner], or would she be both [Windrunner] and Edgedancer?

Brandon Sanderson

Both.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

My question is if she got access to an Honorblade, could she utilize Stormlight to fuel her Surges in addition to metabolizing food into Lifelight? From there, could she figure out how to internally mix and/or separate the power into Towerlight with the right intention? Maybe she just eats a prism to separate it?

I'm imagining something on the back 5 where something goes wrong with the Sibling and Lift just jams herself into the workings and makes it work anyway. At any rate, having a Radiant on standby at Urithiru that can be directly fueled by the Sibling and Bondsmith could be really useful. Sure Dalinar can open a perpendicularity and eventually Navani will be able to as well I assume, but making it so Lift is doing funky stuff that only Bondsmiths do would be... fitting and hilarious. I still don't know how she was sneaking into Dalinar's visions.

Thoughts?

This seems like it could actually happen. Like, if Lift already has lifelight, and then gets stormlight, she very well might be able to join the two.

6 hours ago, Duxredux said:

Sure Dalinar can open a perpendicularity and eventually Navani will be able to as well I assume,

A little off topic here, but isn’t the reason Dalinar can open a perpendicularity and recharge spheres because he’s bonded to the Stormfather, not because he’s a Bondsmith? I’m not sure though

No need for an honorblade. Lift is a radiant, so she can already use stormlight. She just has lifelight as her backup (or go-to) resource on top of that.

Edit: I was mistaken, as has been pointed out below.

Edited by Olmund

18 minutes ago, Olmund said:

No need for an honorblade. Lift is a radiant, so she can already use stormlight. She just has lifelight as her backup (or go-to) resource on top of that.

Per the Coppermind:

Lift also has a rare and possibly unique ability to convert food to Lifelight through consumption.[6] While this may seem a great blessing, she lacks the ability to gather Stormlight from gemstones and other sources,[7] though it is unknown if this is also true for spheres containing Lifelight.

I think this is best demonstrated at the end of Oathbringer directly after Dalinar opens the Perpendicularity, she still needs to go find some food to eat to fuel her Surgebinding.

1 hour ago, Olmund said:

Lift is a radiant, so she can already use stormlight.

She can't, actually.

Laryyl (paraphrased)

[Can Lift] get Stormlight from spheres like normal or if it's just from food for her.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

She can only get it from food.

Laryyl (paraphrased)

Which [is it] related to her boon or her curse?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

RAFO.

Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing (Nov. 29, 2016)

Questioner

Why does Lift need Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

Lift went to see the Nightwatcher, and got a Blessing and a Curse in that she can metabolize food to turn into Stormlight, but she can't use regular Stormlight. And there is something else, as well.

Questioner

So they have the same surges or different surges for Cultivation?

Brandon Sanderson

She uses the same surges, but they are powered differently.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

That said, the ability to use Stormlight and Lifelight would not necessarily imply the ability to use Towerlight. She might be able to produce it without being able to use it.

Huh. That's surprising -- thanks for the correction you two. I don't really like it, since Lift's boon/curse feels like it should be something totally separate from the Nahel bond (which grants everyone else the ability to inhale stormlight), but I suppose I'll trust that Brandon's got a decent mechanical explanation for it.

Given that her old magic blocks her ability to use stormlight through the Nahel bond, I somewhat doubt an honorblade would override that -- the Nahel bond is normally much more efficient at holding stormlight.

7 hours ago, rosharian_cat said:

This seems like it could actually happen. Like, if Lift already has lifelight, and then gets stormlight, she very well might be able to join the two.

A little off topic here, but isn’t the reason Dalinar can open a perpendicularity and recharge spheres because he’s bonded to the Stormfather, not because he’s a Bondsmith? I’m not sure though

Navani could

Mage

Could Navani open a perpendicularity when she got far enough in her oaths?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible.

Dragonsteel Mini-Con 2021 (Nov. 22, 2021)