Club for those who can't smell

Just now, CalanoCorvus said:

1. i've been directly exposed in the highest ways TWICE, and I didn't get it. this is not an option.

2. already had allergies. beef, eggs, dairy. that's half the food in the world i don't have seasonal allergies bc god said food allergies were enough.

3. no.

I know, it was mostly a joke and a small compiliation of ways to lose your sense of smell :P

23 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Yet you wish to join. There are three ways:

1. Lose smell to covid

2. Gain allergies to remove all sense of smell 

3. Be born with it

The loss of smell from COVID is so weird. My nose wasn't even stuffed when I had it, but I couldn't smell. That was my little whiff (or rather lack thereof) of true anosmia.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, The Wandering Wizard said:

Can you taste anything?

I can differentiate between sweet, sour, and spicy, but that's about it.

Yeah, I can taste just about everything except some of it might be dulled? I have no comparison, but everything has a taste to it. I can't always distinguish between spices or certain candy flavors (me realizing that most fruit candies are supposed to taste different from each other and people going 'ah yes this has [specific distinct spice or herb that isn't like, salt or pepper or maybe garlic] in it' is a real thing people do outside of stories: what. hey what) but I think my sense of taste is more unaffected that many people assume after hearing that it and smell are connected. People are always like "your opinions on food are invalid because you can't taste it" and I'm like "DO YOU WANT TO THROW DOWN" :P 

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2022 at 6:22 PM, Ookla the Crow said:

already had allergies. beef, eggs, dairy. that's half the food in the world i don't have seasonal allergies bc god said food allergies were enough.

I wish. . .

Closest I can recall is when I saw the allergist (way back in the 80s - I was 9-10ish) I reacted about 90 of the 108 samples tested. 

Environmental allergies? Check. Seasonal allergies? Check. Food allergies? Check. 

The easiest summary is nearly every plant pollen (trees, grasses, flowers - and things made from it like candles and perfume), the usual mold and dust, animal dander (cats are the worst, but I even have some reaction to my two GSDs and need to wash after touching them), shellfish, fish oil and some berry/seed oils (like strawberries, raspberrries, etc.)

The weirdest is when I react to something like perfume or candles and I can't quite smell what's causing the reaction, but I can feel it in my eyes and sinuses.