Hopes and dreams for Obi Wan Kenobi

In about two weeks, the first two episodes of Obi Wan Kenobi will premiere, and right now we currently have two trailers. So what are your hopes for the show? What are you excited to see? What is something you don't want to happen?

For me, this is one of the most excited, but also worried, I've been for a Star Wars show. Obi Wan is such an awesome character and he was one of the few bright spots of the prequel trilogy, so I'm excited to see him once again. However, I'm also worried, because if they get this wrong, it could ruin the franchise for me. 

So here are my hopes for the show:

• Please no cameos. I'm sorry, I love luke and Ashoka and all them, but this show needs to be about Obi Wan, not about how Luke or somebody else shows up in the very last episode.
  • Get the Obi Wan vs. Vader correct. It's been confirmed that there's gonna be some showdowns between Obi Wan and Vader, so please get those right. Don't force anything, make sure it's all natural and that it flows with the story
  • Bring back the awesome lightsaber fights of the prequel trilogy. If there was anything the prequels did right, it was making legendary lightsaber duels (i.e. Darth Maul vs Obi Wan and Qui Gon, Obi Wan vs. Anakin/Darth Vader). The Obi Wan show needs to recapture the magic of those duels
  • Have a clear plot. Let's be honest, Book of Boba Fett didn't really have a clear plot, at least not from the start. Obi Wan needs to fix this. There needs to be a clear reason for what he is doing. From what we've seen in the second trailer, there seems to be more of clear plot, so hopefully this happens

Well, what to you guys think?

Obi-Wan is my favorite Star Wars character, so I'm just really excited to have a show where he is the main character.

I think all of your points are good ones, and things that we should hope for. I can't think of anything really specific that I want to see, plot-wise, because we frankly have no idea how the story is going to go. But I do really hope that the plot is clear and makes sense.

I hope they do a good job of tying together Obi-Wan from the prequels and Obi-Wan from the sequels. Frankly, we already have most of Obi-Wan's story. We see his (sort of) origins as a padawan and his death, plus many of the other important things he does in his life. So really, the only thing this series needs to do is show how Obi-Wan gets from Episode III to Episode IV. 

I know you said that there shouldn't be a cameo, and that makes sense generally, to me. But I am hoping for Easter eggs of some kind. With all the Inquisitors running around, maybe there will be some kind of reference to Jedi: Fallen Order, or scenes that somehow tie this story to what happens to Obi-Wan in Rebels or The Clone Wars. I just like these little nods, and they don't have to be huge, but I think I would enjoy the show a tiny bit more if we saw them.

13 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

I know you said that there shouldn't be a cameo, and that makes sense generally, to me. But I am hoping for Easter eggs of some kind. With all the Inquisitors running around, maybe there will be some kind of reference to Jedi: Fallen Order, or scenes that somehow tie this story to what happens to Obi-Wan in Rebels or The Clone Wars. I just like these little nods, and they don't have to be huge, but

Yeah no I'd be ok maybe with some references to fallen order, but I don't want a big cameo from someone important to the franchise, like Luke. Mainly because the cameo of Luke in Mando season 2 changed the show from being about Mando to being about Luke. The same thing happened in Book of Boba Fett, with the Luke/grogu cameo. Despite all that, I'd still enjoy any Easter eggs and small nods they make to other characters or events

8 minutes ago, Kvothe the Bloodless said:

Yeah no I'd be ok maybe with some references to fallen order, but I don't want a big cameo from someone important to the franchise, like Luke. Mainly because the cameo of Luke in Mando season 2 changed the show from being about Mando to being about Luke. The same thing happened in Book of Boba Fett, with the Luke/grogu cameo. Despite all that, I'd still enjoy any Easter eggs and small nods they make to other characters or events

If Luke's not in it at least a little, I'd be disappointed. He's the one Obi-Wan's protecting, after all.

7 minutes ago, Nameless said:

If Luke's not in it at least a little, I'd be disappointed. He's the one Obi-Wan's protecting, after all.

I was just using Luke as an example. In this case, Luke definitely needs to be present a little bit because protecting him is Obi Wan's purpose at the moment

Just now, Kvothe the Bloodless said:

I was just using Luke as an example. In this case, Luke definitely needs to be present a little bit because protecting him is Obi Wan's purpose at the moment

Yeah. I get what you mean though, this needs to be Obi-Wan's story, not anyone else's. We don't want another Mandalorian season 2.5 Book of Boba Fett situation. I liked Luke's cameo in Mando season 2, but BoBF was about Mando and Grogu at least as much as it was about Boba.

From the trailers I am cautiously optimistic. I was extremely hyped after the first Mandalorian season and thought the second was really good as well and excited where Disney was going. This was all ruined with Book of Boba Fett which the Mandalorian take over towards the end was the only bright side of that show. Seemed like they just completely gave up on this being a stand alone series and decided to make it a preview for Madalorian season 3. I completely agree with @The Bookwyrm hopes and hope this is exactly what they do. I think they have a better shot at this as there is already a beginning and an end we know so it is just filling in the blanks instead of resurrecting a character everyone thought was long dead and gone. 

5 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

This was all ruined with Book of Boba Fett which the Mandalorian take over towards the end was the only bright side of that show. Seemed like they just completely gave up on this being a stand alone series and decided to make it a preview for Madalorian season 3.

This is exactly what I'm hoping star wars and disney will avoid. And I agree, this show should be easier to get right than Boba Fett

1 hour ago, Kvothe the Bloodless said:

This is exactly what I'm hoping star wars and disney will avoid. And I agree, this show should be easier to get right than Boba Fett

This will also have the advantage of having a good actor. After Book of Boba Fett I think the fan popularity around him was based in part on the fact he never really talked lol. I'm not saying he is terrible but no where near the caliber as Ewan McGregor. I'm looking forward to it and really think it has the potential to be really good. 

Edit: Btw Kvothe when is the next book about you coming out? :P

Edited by StormingTexan

My issue with Disney's star wars work is that they retconned 99% of the original canon, then went and replaced it all with terribly told stories. My hope is that the show includes some of this retconned stuff, the so-called Legends or Expanded Universe.

On 5/11/2022 at 5:29 PM, StormingTexan said:

Edit: Btw Kvothe when is the next book about you coming out? :P

Please, I don't know. Patty Rothfuss needs to learn a few things from brando sando about writing books quicker, cuz it's been more than ten years since TWMF. There's been barely a whisper of any release date or news. I can't wait though :D 

My issue with Disney's star wars work is that they retconned 99% of the original canon, then went and replaced it all with terribly told stories. My hope is that the show includes some of this retconned stuff, the so-called Legends or Expanded Universe.

I don't really know much about Legends and all that, but I do understand how controversial its been to the general fandom

Edited by Kvothe the Bloodless