[Discusion] Row spoilers

So I was thinking about spren death and started to wonder what happens to the investiture when the spren die. I found the following WoB.

Spoiler

James Clifford

Science question!

Brandon Sanderson

Ohh science. Is it real science, or fake science?

Adam Horne

It is Brandon science.

Brandon Sanderson

Fake science!

James Clifford

With the discovery of anti-Investiture in Rhythm of War, would the correct form of anti-Investiture be usable to clear up the mess in the Sel Cognitive Realm. If so, would this completely destroy a splintered Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

*laughs, coughs, and is otherwise stunned* That would not be a good idea. So why would that not be a good idea? So no, this would not clear up the problem. The problem that's going on in the Cognitive Realm in Sel is that a bunch of Investiture that should be in the Spiritual Realm has been packed into the Cognitive Realm instead, through a very weird circumstance of events. If you were to introduce a bunch of anti-Investiture of the right type there, you would just generate an explosion that would be a very bad thing. Matter cannot be created or destroyed, Investiture can't be either, so it's actually changing forms. It's going from Investiture into energy! Which you know, does not leave the system. So the investiture would eventually make its way back around, you can't destroy anything in the Cosmere, just like you can't destroy anything in our universe. But you can make it change forms. And so, what's going on there is just this hope by a certain individual that what has happened there will prevent the power from becoming self-aware.

It's basically Odium being like "alright I just murdered you people, I don't wanna have to come back and do it again". So he's trying to figure out a way to make this happen. As it currently stands (again, these things can change when I write future books), it was partially happenstance that he took advantage of rather than something that he was able to set up very intentionally from the beginning, but he was definitely a part.

YouTube Livestream 32 (June 3, 2021)

So, if investiture can't be destroyed or created only changed (conservation of energy) then if enough spren died would they end up forming honor or would something else happen?

I would think that maybe the spren, or at least the investiture of the spren go to the spiritual realm, maybe? It might be different for spren, since they are more part of the cognitive realm than the physical realm, so I'm not sure if they are able to reach the spiritual realm upon death.

So, if investiture can't be destroyed or created only changed (conservation of energy) then if enough spren died would they end up forming honor or would something else happen?

As for reforming Honor, I don't think that would be enough investiture. Shards have basically infinite investiture, so even all of the investiture from spren won't be enough.

Just now, The Wandering Wizard said:

Could someone utilize the bulk in the spiritual realm and reform honor if they had enough investiture? As I think it would reform honor with enough investiture.

Possibly. Honor is splintered, and we don't really know if that can be reversed or not. You would need a lot of investiture though.

28 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Theoretically it can be reversed as the cosmere follows cosmere laws of science and one is that investiture can't be created or destroyed only change forms.

Maybe. I mean, it's all magic anyways, but it's as possible that the Splintering can't be reversed as that it can. The Investiture still exists either way.

• 2 weeks later...

I think undoing Splintering might be more an issue of Identity than anything else.

The Investiture is all in the location-less Spiritual Realm, so maybe Identity is what makes the difference between many Splinters and one Shard.

Intent may be involved too... if you held a bunch of Splinters with the right intent you might be able to merge them (Mistborn Era 1 spoilers)

Spoiler

This seems to have been involved in merging Ruin and Preservation to Harmony.

But I don't know that you can "hold" a sapient Splinter like a Radiant spren in that sense, just bond to it.

--

Does Investiture go back to the Spiritual on spren death, anyway?

It seems that normal dead spren stay in the Cognitive, just non-functional... but Anti-Investiture deaths? Do they convert Investiture to energy (like a matter/antimatter reaction) or send the Investiture into the Spiritual?

11 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

It seems that normal dead spren stay in the Cognitive, just non-functional... but Anti-Investiture deaths? Do they convert Investiture to energy (like a matter/antimatter reaction) or send the Investiture into the Spiritual?

Anti-Investiture reactions definitely cause explosions (like the sphere in RoW), but the mechanism for Investiture seems to be that even when it causes a Physical action, it still eventually bleeds back into the Spiritual Realm. So I think it's both, really, unless Anti-Investiture reactions truly consume the Investiture a la Nightblood.