Hemalurgic Nose

Duxredux

Okay, I'll admit, this line of thinking came from the Hemalurgic Beaver thread from someone suggesting giving Steelsight to a snail.

Does the spike placement in the eyes of Steel Inquisitors actually improve their Steelsight? I figure that normal Steelsight doesn't actually need vision to work, but it seems that even a single spike through one eye grants Inquisitor level Steelsight. That implies to me that it's not just the mind compensating with the lack of a single sense with heightened awareness in others, but that the spike itself can give that sight. So the train of thought is that perhaps sensory apparatus as a Hemalurgic bind point allows better cohesion/connection/processing/whatever when transferring unconventional senses to the Hemalurgist through existing sensory pathways. This led me to wondering if you could steal a Seeker's ability and then spike yourself in the nose and if it would be more effective than just normally granting them Seeking. Then the Inquisitors could "smell" out the Mistings they were hunting. This of course is RAFO territory, and probably a lot of things are possible if you are an expert Hemalurgist, but something in me would find it really funny if this was a known bind point, but they just never used it because it looked too dumb. Steel spikes driven through the eyes are inhuman and intimidating. A bronze spike through the nose? It just doesn't give the same effect.

If this thread actually ends up being a serious discussion, then I'll change the topic to "Hemalurgic Senses" 

8 minutes ago, Duxredux said:

Okay, I'll admit, this line of thinking came from the Hemalurgic Beaver thread from someone suggesting giving Steelsight to a snail.

Does the spike placement in the eyes of Steel Inquisitors actually improve their Steelsight? I figure that normal Steelsight doesn't actually need vision to work, but it seems that even a single spike through one eye grants Inquisitor level Steelsight. That implies to me that it's not just the mind compensating with the lack of a single sense with heightened awareness in others, but that the spike itself can give that sight. So the train of thought is that perhaps sensory apparatus as a Hemalurgic bind point allows better cohesion/connection/processing/whatever when transferring unconventional senses to the Hemalurgist through existing sensory pathways. This led me to wondering if you could steal a Seeker's ability and then spike yourself in the nose and if it would be more effective than just normally granting them Seeking. Then the Inquisitors could "smell" out the Mistings they were hunting. This of course is RAFO territory, and probably a lot of things are possible if you are an expert Hemalurgist, but something in me would find it really funny if this was a known bind point, but they just never used it because it looked too dumb. Steel spikes driven through the eyes are inhuman and intimidating. A bronze spike through the nose? It just doesn't give the same effect.

If this thread actually ends up being a serious discussion, then I'll change the topic to "Hemalurgic Senses" 

:blink: I'd question your sanity, but I realize I'm posting here, and I know that I'm insane.

You could make it a small steel spike, like a nose ring.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

I could swear that there's a WoB somewhere that says steelsight isn't something you need a spiked eye to do, but I haven't been able to find it.

I'm not sure where it is, but I think I know which one you're talking about. This isn't so much a question of whether it's possible to have Steelsight without a spike (which I believe is possible for a normal Coinshot that simply practiced and changed how they perceived the world), rather it's a question of if the placement in the eye socket enhances Steelsight or otherwise makes it easier to adapt to using it. Marsh was able to see barely days after he was made an Inquisitor, or at least I assume he could see when fighting TLR.

Normal sanity probably left the table if you're considering shoving a railroad spike up your nose, especially if a simple nose ring would be just as effective.

A Bronze spike through the ear might work for Allomantic Bronze. I dunno.

29 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

ear? or is something not translating properly?

Yes, I meant ear.

The thing not translated properly is that "hear" ans "ear" are only differ by one h in english.

4 hours ago, Nameless said:

I could swear that there's a WoB somewhere that says steelsight isn't something you need a spiked eye to do, but I haven't been able to find it.

I got you fam

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

By the way, you probably remember form book one the way that Inquisitors see. They have such a subtle touch with Steel and Iron, and their lines, that they can see via the trace metals in everyone's bodies and in the objects around them.

The thing is, any Allomancer with access to iron or steel could learn to do this. Some have figured it out, in the past, but in current times, nobody–at least, nobody the heroes know–is aware of this. Except, of course, for Marsh.

And he chose not to share it.

The Well of Ascension Annotations (Nov. 11, 2007)

On 5/9/2022 at 9:33 AM, mathiau said:

Bronze makes you able to hear investiture so it'd be the hear

Actually, as I think about it, there is a precedent for piercing the ear as an A-Bronze bind point, and that's Vin. The question then is would you always have Seeking going if you were spiked into the side of the head? I've been unsure if Inquisitors need to be burning Iron or Steel to have their Steelsight active.

Now I just need an Investiture sense based on smell...

Edited by Duxredux

While ironsight/steelsight is possible without Hemalurgy, Inquisitors learning it so quickly might well be a specific Hemalurgic thing- perhaps part of what makes them a "Hemalurgic construct" or species rather than just a human with spike-granted powers.

I imagine they still need to burn metals to see, though I don't know if it is explicitly stated - still, Kar's PoV late in book 1 calls it "a command of Allomancy so subtle, so detailed" and I think it wouldn't be an Allomancy power at all without burning metals- it'd be more like Blessing of Awareness senses for a kandra, or Blessing of Potency/koloss strength - a pure Hemalurgic power.