Explain the Children of the Light to me

Gray to

So I've been listening to the Wheel of Time series for the first time with audiobooks so idk how to spell anyone's names

I've been really enjoying the series and I just started book 4 the Shadow Rising.

The one plot line im confused about is with The Children of the Light. I can't seem to remember who is who, their rank, and their relationships. So could you guys help me keep them all straight?

Also I've only read up to the prologue of Book 4 so please don't share any info that's revealed after that.

I know there's one Child who kidnapped Perrin and Egwene in Book one after they met Elaidas but I can't remember his name.

I know there's one who is in charge of them all. Book 3 prologue was from his POV and he's plotting something but I can't remember. I know that Padan Fain is with him trying to manipulate things under a different name.

I think Padan Fains alias is Moredeeth?

I know there's a Child who is secretly a Dark Friend and hates Perrin. That was revealed in the Book 3 prologue when a half man talked to him

I know there's a guy who died on Almoths Plain at the end of Book 2 and his son is trying to avenge him. I think his name is Bornhold?

I dont really get what their goal is? Are they just killing anyone they think is against the Light? What is the Commander scheming? 

Again I'm only on the prologue of Book 4 so please no spoilers after that point. Just stuff I had forgotten before this point. Thank you!

On 5/6/2022 at 5:17 PM, Gray to said:

So I've been listening to the Wheel of Time series for the first time with audiobooks so idk how to spell anyone's names

I've been really enjoying the series and I just started book 4 the Shadow Rising.

The one plot line im confused about is with The Children of the Light. I can't seem to remember who is who, their rank, and their relationships. So could you guys help me keep them all straight?

Also I've only read up to the prologue of Book 4 so please don't share any info that's revealed after that.

I know there's one Child who kidnapped Perrin and Egwene in Book one after they met Elaidas but I can't remember his name.

I know there's one who is in charge of them all. Book 3 prologue was from his POV and he's plotting something but I can't remember. I know that Padan Fain is with him trying to manipulate things under a different name.

I know there's a Child who is secretly a Dark Friend and hates Perrin. That was revealed in the Book 3 prologue when a half man talked to him

I know there's a guy who died on Almoths Plain at the end of Book 2 and his son is trying to avenge him. I think his name is Bornhold?

His name is indeed Bornhold

I dont really get what their goal is?

Their goal is to mostly about converting other nations to the Light as they see it. They use armies, persuasion, and other methods to convert countries.

Are they just killing anyone they think is against the Light? What is the Commander scheming? 

Again I'm only on the prologue of Book 4 so please no spoilers after that point. Just stuff I had forgotten before this point. Thank you!

They mostly kill anyone they think is against the Light. Think of darkfriends like the red scare or the salem witch hunts as they will accuse basically anyone of being a dark friend. Also the Commanders plan is to unite the nations against the Dragon Reborn as he thinks he is a false Dragon.

Edited by The Wandering Wizard

On 5/6/2022 at 6:17 PM, Gray to said:

I dont really get what their goal is? Are they just killing anyone they think is against the Light? What is the Commander scheming? 

Glad to hear you're enjoying WoT! The audiobooks rock - we get to correct people on pronunciation, they get us on spelling XD

Geofram Bornhald is a Lord Capitan of the Children (one rank below the highest rank, Lord Capitan Commander, currently Pedron Niall).  He and his party capture and hold Perrin and Egwene in book one.  He is, as you correctly guessed, the Capitan who got absolutely smashed on Toman Head.  His son, Dain, is now driven against Perrin.

Yup!  Thats an alias of Fains

You'll soon learn that a lot of the Children have very different ideas on what it means to keep people walking in the light, if you will.  The purpose of the organization is stopping Darkfriends and evil, but something something about a few bad eggs can spoil the bunch

• 1 month later...

The other one who hates Perrin is Byar (I’m also an audiobook guy so my spelling is suspect as well). The dark friend one from the prologues of both books two and three or maybe it’s two and four is Jachim Caridan. He’s a questioner which is another branch of the Whitecloaks that does interrogation. I think.