Mental Health Awareness Month 2022

Tesh

Well.

It's that time of year again.

Somehow.

AP testing! :DDD

Just kidding.

As some of you may know, for the last four years I've posted a thread around May 1st for mental health awareness month. In this thread I discuss some of my reasons for this being important to me, and encourage people to change their profile picture green for the month.

So... Yeah. Mental illness is really prevalent in my family, and honestly, in many of the communities I'm a part of, including this one. I know many many people to whom mental illness is a defining factor in their lives. This includes everything from depression to OCD to eating disorders. And it's affected my life in ways that I can't even really explain.

For me, personally, I've dealt with some depression, anxiety (mostly social anxiety), and constant derealization. However, I've also learned that I'm aroace and on the autism spectrum (and I'm diagnosed now!!!) and finding these key parts of my identity has been so incredibly helpful for my mental health. I'm doing very well, and have been for a while now.

However, so many people are really really struggling. For many people each new day is just a new battle. 

I know a lot of these people, and I love many of them very dearly. And there are even more who I don't know. 

You are not alone.

I invite anyone who feels comfortable to share their experiences. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, just know that you aren't alone, and that there are people here who are willing to support you.

And even if you aren't dealing with any mental illness, remember to take care of yourself and your needs. You are important too. 

I'd also like to invite anyone who wants to change their pfp to something green, as green is the color for mental health awareness.

Each and every one of you is loved and appreciated, even if it doesn't feel like it.

Happy mental health awareness month!

Side note: although often during this month the focus is on mental illness, feel free to ask me any questions about autism. Autism is not a mental illness, it is a developmental disorder (although I don't particularly like that wording either), as is ADHD. People who have either or both of these are known as being neurodivergent. I've done extensive research on autism, especially on how it presents differently in AFAB than AMAB people, and I'd be more than willing to answer any questions.

I know that there are some green versions of the old 17th Shard logo floating around from previous years, and we could probably make some for the new logo as well. I can also change the color of symbols and the things such as that if anyone would like. 

THIS IS THE LINK TO THE NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE'S WEBSITE. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out through a call or text. These people are trained to help people in crisis, and can point you towards more long-term resources. 

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Edited by Tesh

1 hour ago, Tesh said:

on the autism spectrum (and I'm diagnosed now!!!) 

DID YOU SAY THIS AND I MISSED IT OR IS THIS NEW :o 

For anyone who wasn't around last year, hi, I'm Ene, I have diagnosed depression, social anxiety, and OCD, as well as ADHD. 

What I just want to say this year is that no matter what's going on, no matter what you may personally be dealing with, things CAN get better. With treatment they've gotten so much better for me. This stuff doesn't just go away, but if you work at it, it can stop impacting your life quite so severely and you can live happily. It's not out of reach. It is worth doing. And it won't be easy, but it is possible. You have the capability in you to win this. I believe that completely. 

<3 

Happy Mental Health Awareness month!

I struggle with... a lot, as anyone who knows me well is aware of, depression and anxiety most prominently. I also have OCPD and non-verbal learning disorder. 

I'll start with anxiety. I've been an anxious wreck my whole life, but until I was about 14, I just thought I was simply weak and should toughen up, even if that hurt like all Mal. I remember three years ago, in fact, reading the mental health awareness thread and feeling unworthy to post here because I supposedly didn't have anything wrong with me. I was wrong. If you're reading this and feeling like me, please, please talk to someone. Your problems are worth getting help for. Getting diagnosed was life changing for me, and even though I still have a long ways to go, that first step was crucial for me to start the path to healing. Anxiety is not weakness; it is as real as any physical illness and you are not any lesser for it. In fact, I would venture to say that you're all the stronger for having to deal with it day by day. 

As for depression... It is very real, and very debilitating. Even on meds, I still have very low lows, and I would not say that I like my life enough to truly want to keep it. That said, I do believe that better days are coming. I have tasted happiness, and I will taste it again. For anyone else struggling with depression, my heart goes out to you. If I could only say one thing, it is that you are loved, your pain is real, and that better days are coming. That last one might be hard to hear, but look back, and you'll see; you've been through this before a million times. and you're still here. What's one more day? You never know what happiness might await. In the words of Raskolnikov from my beloved Crime and Punishment, "Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on this earth." Think about Kaladin and how much we all love him for what he's been through and how he continues to fight. You are as much a warrior as he is. :)

Happy Mental Health Awareness Month!!!

I struggle with severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, OCD, misophonia, and body dysmorphia.

I’m not in a position to really offer much help because I’m still in a terrible place with my… stuff. But I’m always free to talk.

Hello all! Happy mental health awareness month! As some of you know I'm Nathrangking or Nath as many of you have come to know me. I think that the most important thing for me as far as mental health is concerned is to admit that I'm not always fine. To this point I have not shared this with anyone, but I have in the past and even still struggled/struggle with episodes of depression. Thankfully, I have managed it, but at times they really do fill me with darkness. This was not helped in the past year by events that multiplied the darkness. I never acted on my pain, but I have suffered in silence.

If not for the support of the shard and a few real world friends who likely suspect that my stoic attitude is a facade I would be so much worse than than I am now. There are too many of you to thank, but let me just say thank you to every friend I have made over the years thank you. You are all so awesome and helped me so much in simply dealing with my burdens. I could never repay you properly for all that you have done. As Hoid said I will be warm again. We all will be no matter what we go through. It is sometimes so hard to imagine and the isolation is so palpable, but it will happen. We must only take the next step at a time and look toward the horizon until the warmer day arrives.

Edited by Nathrangking

1 hour ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I figured I'll get a better answer here than just puzzling it out in my head: At what point would you say something is a mental health struggle?  Is it anything that one is struggling with or does it have to reach a certain point beyond the norm?

Okay so... (Personal thoughts) I'd say it's when it interferes with your daily functioning. That's kind of the big thing when it comes to mental illness, although there are three other boxes to check off for that. 

So basically: if it's affecting you living your life, it's a mental health struggle. But if it's something like stress for a large project that's negatively affecting you by causing a regular amount of stress, that's not quite a mental illness.

(This is taken directly from my psychology notes). For something to be abnormal behavior (AKA a mental illness/disorder), it needs to meet four requirements. These are life impairment (illness prevents a person from living a normal life), maladaptive behavior (person cannot cope with daily stress in an appropriate manner), psychological dysfunction (thought process and/or emotions are not logical or rational), and socially deviant (person struggles to live within the rules of society). 

I hope that was worded all right, let me know if I need to clarify on anything.

Hello!

Trutharchivist here. I'm pretty sure I'm fine, mentally, though I do have better terms of servitude in the IDF due to a mental clause - I get two nights at home every week, and the reasoning to that is related to some of my experiences here, theoretically related to my mental health. I don't argue, but I don't think I have a really serious problem.

I still emphasize with people who have to deal with mental illness. My pfp is there since Mental Health Month from the previous year, so I didn't change it.

Hello!

I have never been diagnosed with anything, so I would hesitate to officially label myself as somebody with mental illness. However, I've struggled with suicidal thoughts, and attempted it once. I offer all my help and support to anyone who is dealing with mental illness; it's not easy, but you can get through this. I love you and I want you to be happy, okay?

Cheers,

Robin.

8 hours ago, Tesh said:

Okay so... (Personal thoughts) I'd say it's when it interferes with your daily functioning. That's kind of the big thing when it comes to mental illness, although there are three other boxes to check off for that. 

So basically: if it's affecting you living your life, it's a mental health struggle. But if it's something like stress for a large project that's negatively affecting you by causing a regular amount of stress, that's not quite a mental illness.

(This is taken directly from my psychology notes). For something to be abnormal behavior (AKA a mental illness/disorder), it needs to meet four requirements. These are life impairment (illness prevents a person from living a normal life), maladaptive behavior (person cannot cope with daily stress in an appropriate manner), psychological dysfunction (thought process and/or emotions are not logical or rational), and socially deviant (person struggles to live within the rules of society). 

I hope that was worded all right, let me know if I need to clarify on anything.

Thank you.  That helps me understand some things a little better.

Happy MHAM!!!!

Most of my friends suffer from anxiety, or depression, or ADHD, or a billion other things that seem to be so prevalent in teens (bruhh)

But I support them! We all should support them! My friends and so many other people are a blazing light in the dark void of this world. Their amazing people and I'm grateful they, as long as all of you, exist.

So happy MHAM!! And have a great month!

12 hours ago, Robin Sedai said:

Hello!

I have never been diagnosed with anything, so I would hesitate to officially label myself as somebody with mental illness. However, I've struggled with suicidal thoughts, and attempted it once. I offer all my help and support to anyone who is dealing with mental illness; it's not easy, but you can get through this. I love you and I want you to be happy, okay?

Cheers,

Robin.

Kay just wanna say I’m 99 percent sure you have mental illness if you have suicidal thoughts and have attempted. So. 

13 hours ago, Robin Sedai said:

Hello!

Cheers,

Robin.

21 minutes ago, Vapor said:

Kay just wanna say I’m 99 percent sure you have mental illness if you have suicidal thoughts and have attempted. So. 

Umm... Yeah.

I would highly highly highly recommend you reach out to someone and try to get some help, be it a family member, a teacher, a therapist, or a hotline.

This is the link to the national suicide prevention hotline.

There are people who can help you. There are many different hotlines that you can call or text to receive help, and please do so. You don't have to be alone in this.

Also, if anyone would like, please feel free to PM me (or honestly anyone on here) and I'd be more than willing to find some more resources for you, if that is better than asking on a public forum. My psychology teacher is also the head of a suicide prevention group on campus, and I could ask him for more resources as well. 

I'm been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. I also have ADD and...probably other stuff I haven't been diagnosed with.

I can say that talking to people about my feelings is both the hardest thing to do and the best way (that I know of) that makes my depression better. It really helps to both talk to professionals who have helped me to understand how my brain works and why I feel the way I do, and to those I love that reaffirm that I actually am loved and aren't a failure.

Love you all <3

Also I'm always open to PMs and will am open to talk (or just listen) anytime anyone needs it.

As most people here are saying, I just want to remind you, if you're struggling with anything talking to a close friend or family member is probably the best option, but we're also here if you need an ear. That's what the green pfp means after all, you see one you know you can talk to them whenever you need.

And if you're scared to bring it up, think your problems are not worth talking about or that the people close to you will judge you negatively for it, please don't be. Opening up is always scary but it's the first step for things to get better. A single moment of courage to talk to someone can be the start of a better life.

Hi!

I...do not have depression or anxiety or anything that really threatens my mental health, but if any of you ever need support or help with anything, I'd love to lend an ear and try to help you out! (Queen is wearing green in my pfp, by the way, if you can't tell.)

Edited by DramaQueen

4 hours ago, Vapor said:

I'm pretty sure as well <_< A better phrasing: I think I'm mentally ill, but don't want to claim a specific label like depression or bipolar disorder until I can get diagnosed. You guys are honestly the first people I've ever told, and I'm so grateful to have found this wonderful friendly place.

4 hours ago, Tesh said:

Umm... Yeah.

I would highly highly highly recommend you reach out to someone and try to get some help, be it a family member, a teacher, a therapist, or a hotline.

This is the link to the national suicide prevention hotline.

There are people who can help you. There are many different hotlines that you can call or text to receive help, and please do so. You don't have to be alone in this.

Also, if anyone would like, please feel free to PM me (or honestly anyone on here) and I'd be more than willing to find some more resources for you, if that is better than asking on a public forum. My psychology teacher is also the head of a suicide prevention group on campus, and I could ask him for more resources as well. 

It's a complicated situation so I don't want to talk to strangers about it, but thank you for the offer!

Edited by Robin Sedai

Hiya friends, got some ADHD over here. It doesn’t really affect me as much as most mental illnesses affect most people, so I do hesitate to post here as I definitely have not had nearly the major struggles many people have had with mental illness. Mostly I have a really hard time focusing on certain things, I can never remember what I’m going to say in conversations so I have to interrupt people to get a word in edgewise, and I get random intruding thoughts all the time that are completely off topic. Oh yeah and also (probably unrelated to the ADHD) I feel like a complete failure on a daily basis but I’m working on that, so all in all really not too bad. I’m also lucky in that I have a really amazing support system with friends and family irl and online. Glad to be here and I want y’all to know I’m here for you :)

First 17th Shard MHAM I've been to, so hi! I'm not sure how Tesh has done this in the past, but I totally believe that we'll get a lot of people who struggle with mental illness here, since many of us see ourselves in Brandon's work and felt something.

I got a diagnosis for dysthymia, chronic low level depression, years ago. Not really knowing what life is like without it but comparing myself to other people, I'd say that it's like being a Drab among normal Nalthians, everything's just muted (I probably don't have the compromised immune system though). I'm very stable emotionally in that I usually don't experience emotional extremes, but I am usually tired and have felt tired for what feels like decades. Probably not normal, but again, not sure what it looks like outside of my head. There are times when I look around, see people happy, and am not sure why or how they feel that way, and those are the times that feel like I'm disconnected to people, alone in my head surrounded by people I don't understand. Being an introvert doesn't help with the feeling of disconnect either.

I'm now married with a little toddler, and my life has felt brighter for being able to be with my wife. I don't by any means want to imply that "true love is the answer" or "you just gotta get hitched and your mental health goes away" because it totally doesn't, at least not for me or my wife. You see, my wife has depression too, and she describes her emotions as a rollercoaster in contrast to my flat line. Because we both have mental health struggles, we balance each other out. I provide stability that she doesn't have to worry about kicking me into a spiral by telling me what's going on, and because she cares about so many things, I can see the variety in life when I see her get excited or even disappointed about things. For perhaps one of the first times in my life I didn't hate the way I felt (or didn't feel) because the way I was broken made me a better match for my wife. There's also something that feels really healing or validating to be able to finding meaning and connection by helping someone who has suffered like I had. Again, this isn't to encourage this topic to become a dating forum or to seek out a soulmate, but finding someone that you can talk to and can understand what it's like can be a huge support. My wife and I try to pick up each other's depression symptoms and compensate (like I'll send her to take a nap or read a book if watching the toddler is too exhausting and she stops using punctuation in texts, which is one of her tells).

I guess my thought is that just because you feel broken, doesn't mean that other people can't find beauty and strength in you because of your flaws. I'll admit, The Dog and the Dragon made me cry, imagining this dog who tries so hard, fails so often, gets ridiculed, and dives into darkness and because of his failures and dreams saves a child. I salute you who feel you walk in darkness and still stop to help those around you. 

Happy Mental Health Awareness Month!
So, some of you may not know this, but I do have depression, granted I’m not diagnosed with it. Though, I have felt it and know it’s there. I have done some things I know I shouldn’t have because of it, and I felt sad all of the time.Then, I was reading Brandon’s Works. I don’t know even how to explain this, Brandon Sanderson’s works have made me change. Brandon does an outstanding job (in my opinion) of writing about Mental health in his books. 
So, I guess what I’m trying to say is, thank you Brandon! Your books have gotten me through hard times. I do think the character who makes me feel better is Kaladin. I realize I don’t have depression as bad as some people. But, the stories Hoid tells Kaladin, are like, (trying to figure out a way to explain) helpful? They made me have hope when I was reading the books. 

I still do feel it, but I’ve gotten some of the help I needed, and it’s better!

Spoiler

As a side note: if this is offensive to anyone, it didn’t mean it in any form.

EVERYONE!! Just know you are not alone! There are people who love you! I love you guys! 

Edited by Maddie The Survivor

umm...

I disagree. Or at least...I feel like this is one of the greatest misconceptions that people with mental heath problems have. Yes, the condition you have will likely never go away, but that implies that it's impossible to overcome it. And yes people aren't choosing to be depressed, or whatever it is. You can't just up and walk away from it. But I know from personal experience that it is possible to get to a point where the mental health doesn't rule over you and rather you rule over it. 

Wow. I didnt know this was a thing. 

Happy mental health awareness month everybody! 

So i have had sucidal thoughts and i still do have sucidal thoughts though i havent ever attempted it. 

I probably have a variety of mental health disorders . Some of which i suspect are depression, anxiety, adhd, OCD, PTSD. I've also had dissociative episodes for as long as i can remember. 

On 5/10/2022 at 1:00 PM, Experience said:

umm...

I disagree. Or at least...I feel like this is one of the greatest misconceptions that people with mental heath problems have. Yes, the condition you have will likely never go away, but that implies that it's impossible to overcome it. And yes people aren't choosing to be depressed, or whatever it is. You can't just up and walk away from it. But I know from personal experience that it is possible to get to a point where the mental health doesn't rule over you and rather you rule over it. 

Sorry it was never my intention to say one can never get better.  I link it with the nature of diabetes or something of that sort.  Sure you can improve and feel better and such like that but then at any moment you can feel that darkness trying to get out again.  Those without the mental health issues seem to link it more towards a sprained knee.  At least from my experience.

Edited by Binkery