The KOTLC Club

Do you like Keeper of the Lost Cities?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Keeper of the Lost Cities?

A KOTLC Fan's Lament.

I used to love KOTLC. I read all the books the moment they came out and pre-ordered them months in advance. With Unlocked, I started to dislike the premise. It started getting repetitive, and I began to like other books more. When Stellarune came out, I didn't get it.

A while ago, a friend started KOTLC. We had a chat about it, I hinted some of the plot twists, good stuff.

Looking back, I can thank KOTLC for three things:

1. It's what caused my love of fantasy.
  2. It was one of the first actual lore-intensive series I've read. I thank it for setting me up for the Cosmere and Grishaverse.
  3. It taught me how to make cute couple names {Insert Hooty meme here}.

I guess I'm writing this as a farewell to the series that I spent so long a fan of. As I'm officially leaving the fandom, I'd like to put out my last words on the topic of KOTLC ships.

I originally started out as a Fitzphie fan, and I'm fervently against Keefe to this day. After hearing a bit about what happened in Stellarune, I suppose that I'll have to drop Fitzphie as well.

My official opinion is that nobody in Sophie's friend group, Sophie included, is emotionally mature enough to be in a committed relationship with another character. This is the sort of relationship drama that tears apart friend groups.

But if I'm forced to pick a side...

Linhphie. As in, Linh X Sophie.

DEAL WITH IT.

*Leaves the fandom*

*Is never heard from again*

2 hours ago, Edgedancer1174 said:

I usually say kotolk or kotlik

Yes. Yes. Yes

GO KEEFE

Just so you know, you're not supposed to post multiple times in a row. If you want to quote multiple posts, you can use the "Multiquote" button (It looks like a plus sign) next to the quote button. It's no big deal, but some people will get upset and it clutters the forums.

18 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

A KOTLC Fan's Lament.

I used to love KOTLC. I read all the books the moment they came out and pre-ordered them months in advance. With Unlocked, I started to dislike the premise. It started getting repetitive, and I began to like other books more. When Stellarune came out, I didn't get it.

A while ago, a friend started KOTLC. We had a chat about it, I hinted some of the plot twists, good stuff.

Looking back, I can thank KOTLC for three things:

1. It's what caused my love of fantasy.
  2. It was one of the first actual lore-intensive series I've read. I thank it for setting me up for the Cosmere and Grishaverse.
  3. It taught me how to make cute couple names {Insert Hooty meme here}.

I guess I'm writing this as a farewell to the series that I spent so long a fan of. As I'm officially leaving the fandom, I'd like to put out my last words on the topic of KOTLC ships.

I originally started out as a Fitzphie fan, and I'm fervently against Keefe to this day. After hearing a bit about what happened in Stellarune, I suppose that I'll have to drop Fitzphie as well.

My official opinion is that nobody in Sophie's friend group, Sophie included, is emotionally mature enough to be in a committed relationship with another character. This is the sort of relationship drama that tears apart friend groups.

But if I'm forced to pick a side...

Linhphie. As in, Linh X Sophie.

DEAL WITH IT.

*Leaves the fandom*

*Is never heard from again*

Nerdy, you just expressed pretty much my entire sentiment of the series as a whole. Stellarlune was pretty good, i guess. It definitely wasn't the worst I've read, but it was far from the best. I don't like Sophie with anyone. And this is coming from a huge Keefe fan :P But 90% of the storylines were very similar and I was getting sick of it. So I'm taking a several year break. I might go back, I might not.

My favorite relationship is....

TIANA!!!!! 

(Tam X Biana)

It's happening. You can't stop it.

EDIT: never mind, I'm just blind :P 

Edited by Being of Cacophony

I literally read the series just for Keefe. Sophie's main character development seems to be getting more powers and injuries, and it annoys me a little bit. I also don't like how it makes humans pretty useless. I'll read the books as they come out, but I've kinda lost hope for this series.

3 hours ago, Ranryu said:

I literally read the series just for Keefe. Sophie's main character development seems to be getting more powers and injuries, and it annoys me a little bit. I also don't like how it makes humans pretty useless. I'll read the books as they come out, but I've kinda lost hope for this series.

I agree. It was a good series for me for a while, and I can't let myself just not finish a series, but there are a lot of repetitive plot lines and such that annoy me

Edited by Witless of Shinovar

4 hours ago, Being of Cacophony said:

My favorite relationship is....

TIANA!!!!! 

(Tam X Biana)

It's happening. You can't stop it.

I LOVE TIANA SO MUCH. IT IS THE ONLY REASON I WILL CONTINUE READING THESE BOOKS.

Sophie has no character development. She's a perfect little angel who is the most classic "female main character" the world has ever created. Beautiful, but thinks she's so ugly. She has a literal reverse harem. A fan club. Tons of magic. Like three separate families. She goes to the best school. She has the best boyfriend. Please don't tell me she wasn't made perfect. I hate that so, so, so, so, so much. Yet it's not enough for her and she sacrificed helping the world to find her biological parents. I used to be blind to things like this, but now that my eyes have opened, I know that she's the worst.

Edited by SymphonianBookworm

6 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Just so you know, you're not supposed to post multiple times in a row. If you want to quote multiple posts, you can use the "Multiquote" button (It looks like a plus sign) next to the quote button. It's no big deal, but some people will get upset and it clutters the forums.

Oh, thank you for the warning

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, SymphonianBookworm said:

I LOVE TIANA SO MUCH. IT IS THE ONLY REASON I WILL CONTINUE READING THESE BOOKS.

Sophie has no character development. She's a perfect little angel who is the most classic "female main character" the world has ever created. Beautiful, but thinks she's so ugly. She has a literal reverse harem. A fan club. Tons of magic. Like three separate families. She goes to the best school. She has the best boyfriend. Please don't tell me she wasn't made perfect. I hate that so, so, so, so, so much. Yet it's not enough for her and she sacrificed helping the world to find her biological parents. I used to be blind to things like this, but now that my eyes have opened, I know that she's the worst.

Okay, this is completely your opinion, and I respect that, but I can't bring myself to agree. Sophie is lacking character development a bit, but the truth is that she just isn't perfect. But the fact that she chose her parents proves that she isn't. She has vulnerabilities.

There is so much emotions attached to this series, and I love it so much. I haven't gotten to read stellarlune yet, but from what I have read I can see that, yes, she has so much, but that also means she has more to lose. There's an intricate plot and tons of different feelings; it's awesome.

You can still have your opinion though.

10 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

I think that the entire series is kind of dumb.

I can understand why people like it, though, I suppose.

And it's a lot of fun to mock.

why do i read these...

I'm not caught up with the series but I'll probably get there. Eventually. When I can find the mental stamina.

I'm just like 'Ug, end it already!' but I stared it so have to finish it... but Keefe is also fun, but now he's gonna OP and useless like Sophie. Like, how many time could they have beaten the Neverseen if she just used her dang powers?

On 4/17/2023 at 11:25 AM, That1Cellist said:

why do i read these...

I'm not caught up with the series but I'll probably get there. Eventually. When I can find the mental stamina.

I agree with everything you said. EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

On 4/17/2023 at 9:25 AM, That1Cellist said:

why do i read these...

Yes! I started out actually liking it because I started at 11 or 12, which is I think the target audience. Now that I am older, I agree with all of this. So dumb. So funny!

• 1 month later...

*smile*

Fitz: Nothing in life is free. 
Dex: Love is free. 
Sophie: Knowledge is free. 
Jensi: Friendship is free. 
Biana: Self-respect is free. 
Keefe: Everything's free if you don't pay for it. 
The Squad: ... 
Sophie: Keefe, that's illegal- 
Fitz: No, let them finish! 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

*smile*

Fitz: Nothing in life is free. 
Dex: Love is free. 
Sophie: Knowledge is free. 
Jensi: Friendship is free. 
Biana: Self-respect is free. 
Keefe: Everything's free if you don't pay for it. 
The Squad: ... 
Sophie: Keefe, that's illegal- 
Fitz: No, let them finish! 

:lol::lol::lol:

So true 

• 1 month later...

Oh brother 

I used to read these

i ended up hating them 

I stopped around book 5 or 6

but the books do have everything 

magic, fantastic beasts, school, whiny annoying teenagers, extremely possible impossible love, hospital visits, amnesia (I think), tragedy, romance, torture (to the reader), etc etc etc…