The KOTLC Club

Do you like Keeper of the Lost Cities?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Keeper of the Lost Cities?

6 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

Hmm. I'm not sure what I think of KOTLC. It was enjoyable while I read it, but I kinda got tired of them being defeated by the Neverseen. I mean, can't we get one victory? I still enjoyed them, though.

Sorry(ish) about that annoyednesss.

each is entitled to their own opinion.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2022 at 5:09 AM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

No Joke! I have to wonder how the elves discovered Light-leaping. most of their other abilities I could see them discovering pretty easily, but light leaping? not so much.

I bet one of the elves cut a crystal into a leaping crystal, held it up to the light somehow and stepped into it. 

On 5/3/2022 at 7:39 PM, The Bookwyrm said:

This is is exactly what happens to me. It ends up becoming a bunch of other magic systems that have kind of blended together into a weird portfolio of powers that's specific to me. (Especially when you get the same effects from different magic systems, Like Pyrokinesis and Firebending from Avatar: The Last Airbender.)

It's really fun to imagine explaining Shardblades (and basically anything else) to people from other dimensions. The nice thing about being a Windrunner is that it turns your eyes blue when you summon your Shardblade, so while my eyes are naturally brown, the elves don't notice that because I routinely summon my Shardblade in secret when no one is looking.

I also enjoy comparing the Eragon version of telepathy and mental powers to the kind we see in KOTLC, and imagining how an elven Telepath would gain advantages if they were trained by someone who was well skilled in Alagaesian mental techniques.

(This is devolving into a mash up of book series that might not belong here, so I'll change the topic again...)

Ooh, this is an interesting idea... I suppose she is, considering what happened to her.

I just was remarking that in the beginning of book one, someone mentioned that Sophie would make an incredible Keeper because of her impenetrable mind. And then that brief mention was never really built upon. We see Sophie come to play a very important role in the Lost Cities, but she was never really identified as an official Keeper...

It just makes me wonder, because it's the title of the series, so it must be important, but there isn't really anything in the books (yet) that denotes why exactly this is the title.

In an interview shannon said she had a super hard time coming up with a title. Originally she wanted to call the first book Catching Everblaze, but her editor said it sounded too much like a story about a horse. Shannon and her agent both came up with list after list of names for the book before she finally asked her nieces to help her come up with a title for the book. One of them came up with the name Keeper of the Lost Cities.

On 8/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, FlowerGirl said:

In an interview shannon said she had a super hard time coming up with a title. Originally she wanted to call the first book Catching Everblaze, but her editor said it sounded too much like a story about a horse. Shannon and her agent both came up with list after list of names for the book before she finally asked her nieces to help her come up with a title for the book. One of them came up with the name Keeper of the Lost Cities.

I didn't know that! That's really cool 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, FlowerGirl said:

Ok, I just read a few of the books, and when does Sandor sleep? He's always awake, and I couldn't find a single mention of him sleeping. Is there an explanation I missed or does Sandor just never sleep?

I don't know, as I don't remember getting an explanation. Though I believe he has to sleep sometime.

21 hours ago, FlowerGirl said:

Ok, I just read a few of the books, and when does Sandor sleep? He's always awake, and I couldn't find a single mention of him sleeping. Is there an explanation I missed or does Sandor just never sleep?

I'm sure sandor would say that he never sleeps when his charge is in danger.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 0:05 PM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Yes, It is. Though, given its limitation on only finding registered things, there may be a reason. Also, can you hear anything through it?

Regardless of whether or not Fitz dies, he should not get to be with Sophie until he has become waaaay more mature.

he shouldn't be with her at all

On 9/26/2022 at 1:44 PM, SHARD OF VALOR said:

he shouldn't be with her at all

I feel like… I haven’t picked a ship really. I’m just watching. To see what happens.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, FlowerGirl said:

Forkle specifically says that he only based Sophie's DNA off the alicorns and didn't actually use alicorn DNA. Personally I think it's Elwin 

That theory is AMAZING. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, FlowerGirl said:

Not really. She's a really good person, but she still screws up. I don't mind her character, but can see how you would. She doesn't really have anything bad about her.

Yeah, but you have to admit, that doesn't leave much room for a character arc.

It also annoys me how elves are supposed to be so much smarter than humans, but I can still see plot twist before they can.

Spoilers for book 3, I believe. (Is it four? I can't remember.)

Spoiler

Keefe's Mom. That was VERY obvious.

And how their medicine is supposed to be so much better than ours, but they still have scars. And their prosthetic limbs aren't much better than ours. And why do the gates at Everglen glow? They're supposed to suck in all of the light so no one can light leap in, but then they should be like black holes. Shouldn't it be really dark? Can't people light leap using the glow from the gates? Also, I'm still a little confused by the "you're super rich when you're born" thing. I feel like there would be a lot more elves who just decided they didn't need a job because they already had more than enough money. But NO. Their economy is JUST FINE! There are no shortages of ANYTHING! And why, if they haven't interacted with humans for so long, do they use such modern language? Another question, why aren't there billions and billions of elves? Sure, they don't have a ton of kids, but death is SUPER rare, so the population should just keep growing and growing. Also, the recurring "Tolkien came to the Lost Cities" thing REALLY annoys me. For one thing, if he did, WHERE ARE THE NOLDOR? THE SINGING? Plus, orcs. Orcs are mutant elves, right? SO WHERE ARE THE ORCS! (Basically, elves from LotR and the Silmarillion are WAY different than elves from KotLC) And where do their powers come from? Technology: Something that makes life better. So therefore, magic is technology, so they DO probably use magic. (It's the only logical explanation for the Talents.) 

Sorry. I like the series in some places, it's fun, Keefe is great, gnomes are AdORaBle, goblins are cool, there are probably jackalopes, but others are... lacking. I'm probably just spoiled by Brandon. If you can answer any of my questions, I would be very thankful. 

Edited by Rabbit Unmade

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Unmade said:

Yeah, but you have to admit, that doesn't leave much room for a character arc.

It also annoys me how elves are supposed to be so much smarter than humans, but I can still see plot twist before they can.

Spoilers for book 3, I believe. (Is it four? I can't remember.)

Reveal hidden contents

Keefe's Mom. That was VERY obvious.

And how their medicine is supposed to be so much better than ours, but they still have scars. And their prosthetic limbs aren't much better than ours. And why do the gates at Everglen glow? They're supposed to suck in all of the light so no one can light leap in, but then they should be like black holes. Shouldn't it be really dark? Can't people light leap using the glow from the gates? Also, I'm still a little confused by the "you're super rich when you're born" thing. I feel like there would be a lot more elves who just decided they didn't need a job because they already had more than enough money. But NO. Their economy is JUST FINE! There are no shortages of ANYTHING! And why, if they haven't interacted with humans for so long, do they use such modern language? Another question, why aren't there billions and billions of elves? Sure, they don't have a ton of kids, but death is SUPER rare, so the population should just keep growing and growing. Also, the recurring "Tolkien came to the Lost Cities" thing REALLY annoys me. For one thing, if he did, WHERE ARE THE NOLDOR? THE SINGING? Plus, orcs. Orcs are mutant elves, right? SO WHERE ARE THE ORCS! (Basically, elves from LotR and the Silmarillion are WAY different than elves from KotLC) And where do their powers come from? Technology: Something that makes life better. So therefore, magic is technology, so they DO probably use magic. (It's the only logical explanation for the Talents.) 

Sorry. I like the series in some places, it's fun, Keefe is great, gnomes are AdORaBle, goblins are cool, there are probably jackalopes, but others are... lacking. I'm probably just spoiled by Brandon. If you can answer any of my questions, I would be very thankful. 

this is mostly due to the gnomish vegetables and work. also, yes the world has cracks. I do want to see if Shannon can resolve them, such as where is the record of the first elf? and Tolkien didn't come to the lost cities, he just met an elf with tall tales. They just hype the medicine. Most elves probably think that humans are around WW2 era tech. I also think that alchemy is another thing that only elves can do, like light-leaping. 

49 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

this is mostly due to the gnomish vegetables and work. also, yes the world has cracks. I do want to see if Shannon can resolve them, such as where is the record of the first elf? and Tolkien didn't come to the lost cities, he just met an elf with tall tales. They just hype the medicine. Most elves probably think that humans are around WW2 era tech. I also think that alchemy is another thing that only elves can do, like light-leaping. 

Okay... (The Tolkien thing still REALLY annoys me.) Have we ever seen a human try to light leap? Do we know humans don't have enough concentration for it? Does it ever say they can't? Couldn't they use a nexus or something until they learn?

I like KOTLC, but it does have some holes. And Fitz is a terrible person. You will never change my mind. I also recently found out that Shannon spent a year world building. Hahaha. The Stormlight Archive is waaaaay better. But maybe I'm just annoyed at the cliff hanger in the last book. Man, that was terrible.