Wither-hunt - The Fight for Mendahar

Zephrun’s Imperium

6 hours ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

"Rose," Nyx repeated. "Don't remember you."

Rose laughed slightly. "Well, I don't blame you. I don't remember much from when I was five years old, either."

Jahr closed his eyes. He just needed to rest for a moment...

6 hours ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

Well, in Masquerade-era Mendahar, it would imply that she's the torturess. However, I think she could simply be an older woman good with herbs that people perceive to be a witch. 

Hmm. I don't think she's much of an herbalist.

Edited by xinoehp512

The ritual mostly involves a series of mystifying-ish movements with your torches. Think how you can write in the air using a sparkler at night: something mesmerizing like that.

Plus there's plenty of spoken things, like "o devil, bear us no hatred. By the power of the stars, we call you back home!" or summat like that.

50 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Rose laughed slightly. "Well, I don't blame you. I don't remember much from when I was eight years old, either."

Jahr closed his eyes. He just needed to rest for a moment...

Nyx stared at the bandage distastefully, moaning. “Supposed to hurt,” she explained. 

1 hour ago, Zephrun's Imperium said:

Nyx stared at the bandage distastefully, moaning. “Supposed to hurt,” she explained. 

Rose frowned. "Supposed to hurt? What do you mean?"

--

The flood of withergeists seemed to have slowed now, and they were responding to the Hunters' bright lights. The humans had the upper hand.

Just now, Zephrun's Imperium said:

"Nyx was bad," she explained. She raised her bandaged arm. "Have to... punish... always."

"Stars, child!" replied Rose. "I'm sure nothing you did deserves that." She hugged Nyx. "You don't have to punish yourself here, okay?"

13 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"What you were trained to do, by blazes!"

Ilektchi kicked up gravel, one torch crossed over his chest and the other hanging behind him. No withergeist would be coming out of his shadow today. The street was glowing golden in the sunlight, the same old shade as the clouds and fields this time of day. Against all that, even his torches seemed like little more than a distant star against the moon.

Dozens? More? Blast... to think he had nothing more than a bundle of soft-skins to take them out today. His old men would struggle with this.

"Keep to your pairs!" Letch ordered. "No man takes a 'geist alone!"

He skirted about a shadow, targeting one withergeist. Scraping up gravel and kicking up dust, Ilektchi switched trajectory and ran at it. That shadow was mostly alone, so it couldn't very well go anywhere: trapping it between him and the new kid would work plenty.

Training? Nerevat had almost no training, less than a month in fact. But he was a quick learner, that much was true. Watch the shadows, he thought, even your own. 

Letch seemed to be going after one black spot in particular. Nerevat watched as the captain sprinted at the shadow and chasing it...right towards Nerevat. Oh scorching Mal. Bracing himself, Nerevat set his feet and kept a tight grip on his torch, waiting for the shadow to hopefully be trapped between himself and Letch. "C'mere you burning devil! I'll send you back to the Void myself!"

"Darn right." Letch muttered, slashing his torch across the air in front of it. The withergeist shied away, hissing and fuming. It was far more timid than most: a mark of weakness. It wouldn't take long to defeat it here.

"Wider movements, kid!" Letch darted inward, each shove of the torch only mere moments behind the 'geist's movements. The devil tried to find a way of escape--but Letch wouldn't let that happen. It was tending towards the new kid's torches rather than his own. If the sun wasn't there, it would've escaped by now. "Stop acting like you're swingin' your first axe and start fighting like a stars-cursed warrior already!"

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

Stars, he's right. Nerevat took a deep breath, and suddenly felt much calmer than he had been all day. He broke into motion, circling the shadow and darting in and out, using his torch to keep the thing contained. Whenever the shadow seemed to have a way out of Letch's torch-swinging, Nerevat was there, giving it no room to escape. This isn't so bad, he thought. I don't even know what I was afraid of earlier. But then he saw them. Two more withers, in the shadows, coming towards Nerevat and Letch. "Uhhh, captain? We've got a problem" Nerevat called out.

3 hours ago, Kvothe the Bloodless said:

Stars, he's right. Nerevat took a deep breath, and suddenly felt much calmer than he had been all day. He broke into motion, circling the shadow and darting in and out, using his torch to keep the thing contained. Whenever the shadow seemed to have a way out of Letch's torch-swinging, Nerevat was there, giving it no room to escape. This isn't so bad, he thought. I don't even know what I was afraid of earlier. But then he saw them. Two more withers, in the shadows, coming towards Nerevat and Letch. "Uhhh, captain? We've got a problem" Nerevat called out.

One of the withers seemed... different. It had plates on its appendages and head that looked more solid than they ought to be.