The Waiting Room

Scarletfox

Welcome to The Waiting Room RP! The setting is (drumroll please) A WAITING ROOM!! But a waiting room for what? I hear you asking, well now that's where the fun begins. This is a communal universal waiting room, managed by Kalli, the spindly immortal clerk of the universe. As you wait for your appointment (dentist appointment, therapy appointment, mafia appointment, Skaa rebellion meeting appointment, etc.), you can converse with the others in the waiting room until your character's time comes (as decided by you), at which time Kalli calls your character's name, and she leads them through the Door of Eternity to their appointment. 

I have spent an unfortunate amount of my life in waiting rooms, and I know that just the craziest conversations happen in these strange places, but are often cut short - at any point, you may take control of Kalli only to call the name of your character and eject from the rp. This is intentional, because sometimes crazy life stuff happens and you can't respond to the shard for several weeks, and this is a way you can easily get out of it

Here are some basic ground rules/clarifications

1. No godmodding of other characters besides using Kalli only to call your character's name to gosh knows where

1a. Kalli is technically my character otherwise

1b. Kalli is also immortal, she cannot die

2. Any existing character from any rp may come spend time in the waiting room, and any character that has spent time in the waiting room and has been called may return to wait for something else (any new characters can join in no problem)

3. Please don't post random one-stand posts

Kalli:

Kalli pushed her giant round spectacles up against her rough pale skin, looking at her clipboard, then looking up at the empty waiting room, then back at her clipboard. None of the people she was supposed to retrieve were here. She heaved a sigh, running her hand through her thin gray hairs (working as a clerk for the universe for centuries did that to a person), and spun around leaving through the door of eternity, slamming it behind her. Hopefully someone would show up soon. This job was boring enough as is, she wanted someone to eavesdrop on. 

Rena:

Rena walked into the waiting room and coughed nervously, glancing around. There was nobody here, perfect! This would give her all the time to figure out what haircut she was going to get, because honestly, she had no idea. She strode over and plopped down onto one of those cushy small couches, grabbed the worn hairstyle catalogue that was sitting on the small side table, and began to leaf through it. A third of the pages were ripped out, a third had been utilized as miniature art canvases by what appeared to be several monsters with melted crayons for hands, and remaining third alternated between Chad and Karen looking cuts. Rena sighed. This was going to be interesting. 

Edited by Scarletfox

Gerald was a posh man. Or so he thought. He had everything a posh person is supposed to have, Britishness, a nice suit, a monocle, a fancy accent, and a love for tea. Not only was he posh, but he would consider himself the poshest. Or would of course, if he didn't spend his nights street racing. Of course, who's to say that sitting behind the wheel, ready for the countdown, and then burning rubber isn't posh. He was confident there was some culture that would appreciate it, somewhere, but not here. He was currently having a nice sip of tea, looking out his window at the town below. He sighed, life is way too slow.

***3 Days Later***

Well, he admitted, that was unexpected. Usually, the authorities let them do their races, as long as they make sure it's safe enough for bystanders. Something changed last night. The authorities arrived, and now, well, now he had a court summons. Of course, with with the brilliantly stupid thing he did, it makes perfect sense that they were arrested. Fantastic. Just what he needed on an awful Thursday morning. It's not like it could get any worse. "Stephen, I'm heading out!", He called to his butler. He made his way to the elevator and was listening to the awful music. Someone really needed to replace the speakers. These were broken so much they were incomprehensible. Ding, he reached the first floor. He stepped into the lobby. Hmmm... this was odd. He wasn't sure where he was. The elevator did take him to the first floor, yes? He looked around, seeing an unfamiliar waiting room. He frowned. The elevator behind vanished into the wall. This was quite peculiar. There didn't seem to be an attendant anywhere, only a lady on a couch. "Excuse me, miss, where are we?"

11 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

Well, he admitted, that was unexpected. Usually, the authorities let them do their races, as long as they make sure it's safe enough for bystanders. Something changed last night. The authorities arrived, and now, well, now he had a court summons. Of course, with with the brilliantly stupid thing he did, it makes perfect sense that they were arrested. Fantastic. Just what he needed on an awful Thursday morning. It's not like it could get any worse. "Stephen, I'm heading out!", He called to his butler. He made his way to the elevator and was listening to the awful music. Someone really needed to replace the speakers. These were broken so much they were incomprehensible. Ding, he reached the first floor. He stepped into the lobby. Hmmm... this was odd. He wasn't sure where he was. The elevator did take him to the first floor, yes? He looked around, seeing an unfamiliar waiting room. He frowned. The elevator behind vanished into the wall. This was quite peculiar. There didn't seem to be an attendant anywhere, only a lady on a couch. "Excuse me, miss, where are we?"

Rena looked up from the beat-up haircut catalogue to see the posh-iest man she had ever seen stride in. She coughed nervously, but she was kind of glad someone had come to wait with her, because she still had no idea what haircut she was going to get. 

"Hi!" She said perkily, "This is The Waiting Room, don't you know? I'm waiting for a haircut, what do you think I should get?" Rena ruffled her frizzy, thick black hair that fell nearly to her waist. As she looked down, she realized how underdressed she felt now - sweatpants and a taco bell T-shirt... ah well, the best way to cover up insecurity was to smile and nod, so she looked back up at the man and gave him a big smile!

12 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

A man wearing a black-gemstone studded gauntlet walked into the room carrying a box covered in buttons.

Another one walked in and Rena's smile wavered as it was replaced with an expression of curiosity and puzzlement as she inspected what was in the newcomer's hands.

A boy in his mid teenage years walks in. He is wearing a simple outfit consisting of a blue T-shirt, jeans, black sneakers, blue glasses, and a very large backpack that looks like it's filled with books. A small leather pouch is tied to his belt. He looks around the room in interest, then sits in a nice comfy chair and pulls a computer out of his backpack. Though he seems to be focused on typing on the computer, he often looks around the room, as if analyzing it and those inside.

2 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Rena looked up from the beat-up haircut catalogue to see the posh-iest man she had ever seen stride in. She coughed nervously, but she was kind of glad someone had come to wait with her, because she still had no idea what haircut she was going to get. 

"Hi!" She said perkily, "This is The Waiting Room, don't you know? I'm waiting for a haircut, what do you think I should get?" Rena ruffled her frizzy, thick black hair that fell nearly to her waist. As she looked down, she realized how underdressed she felt now - sweatpants and a taco bell T-shirt... ah well, the best way to cover up insecurity was to smile and nod, so she looked back up at the man and gave him a big smile!

Another one walked in and Rena's smile wavered as it was replaced with an expression of curiosity and puzzlement as she inspected what was in the newcomer's hands.

Gerald was puzzled. "The courthouse gives haircuts now, does it?"  Surely it didn't. He didn't even confirm it was the waiting room for the courthouse. What a mistake. He steps aside for the people entering as he ponders. "And what are you two here for?" He then looked at his watch, he was going to be late if he couldn't find where he needed to be.

Rena laughed nervously. These were obviously newbies to The Waiting Room... "So this is actually a universal communal waiting room run by an immortal clerk," she paused, then quickly added, "if you didn't already know, that is." She smiled again, and hoped there were was no one from the mafia here today

Edited by Scarletfox

4 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

"I'm actually waiting for a flight, believe it or not," the boy says, looking up from his computer. "I was unaware that airports had secluded waiting rooms like this. Very interesting..."

"I'm in an airport! That's rather disturbing. I should be in the lobby beneath my penthouse." He frantically rushes towards the counter. "Hello! anyone there!"
At this time, he hears Rena's explanation. "So I'm in an insane asylum, perfect." He runs his hands through his hair as he paces around. He hated not knowing what was happening. And if it was somehow true... Nah, it couldn't be true. GERALD, GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF. Be posh, not not posh. No, that was a terribly phrased sentence. Oh well, he calmed himself and found a seat.

20 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

It was difficult to determine, although it seemed to exude an aura of danger.

7 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Rena laughed nervously. These were obviously newbies to The Waiting Room... "So this is actually a universal communal waiting room run by an immortal clerk," she paused, then quickly added, "if you didn't already know, that is." She smiled again, and hoped there were was no one from the mafia here today

"Ah, I see..." The boy said. "That makes sense. I've heard of this place before."

He turned to the man in the strange gauntlet. "What appointment are you waiting for, out of curiosity?" He asked politely.

1 hour ago, Chasmgoat said:

"I'm in an airport! That's rather disturbing. I should be in the lobby beneath my penthouse." He frantically rushes towards the counter. "Hello! anyone there!"
At this time, he hears Rena's explanation. "So I'm in an insane asylum, perfect." He runs his hands through his hair as he paces around. He hated not knowing what was happening. And if it was somehow true... Nah, it couldn't be true. GERALD, GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF. Be posh, not not posh. No, that was a terribly phrased sentence. Oh well, he calmed himself and found a seat.

Rena sighed, slightly amused, she had a similar reaction the first time she had an appointment at The Waiting Room.

52 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"I'm going to blow up a universe," the man replied.

Rena half coughed-half laughed (her usual response when she didn't know how to respond), standing up. "You're going to what now??"

36 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

The boy hesitated. "It's a good thing there's more than one, then. May I ask why?"

He paused, then added: "And may I also suggest that you don't? Universes are usually pretty amazing places. I would hate to see one obliterated."

"I second that," Rena added.

1 hour ago, The Bookwyrm said:

The boy hesitated. "It's a good thing there's more than one, then. May I ask why?"

He paused, then added: "And may I also suggest that you don't? Universes are usually pretty amazing places. I would hate to see one obliterated."

The man shrugged. "I would know how good it is, I've never been there. I'm getting paid to do it."

Gerald decided to completely give in to his madness and not expect anything unsurprising.
"Destroying a universe is a rather odd thing to do on a Thursday, even for money. Unless of course, you already had your tea for the day."

"I would say destroying a universe is a rather odd thing to do on any day," the boy said. "Who's paying you? Do you know why?"

He thought for a moment. "More importantly, how? What method or magic or device is giving you the capability to do this?"

He gestured to the man's gauntlet. "Is it that? Because if it is, it's incredibly dangerous and should probably not exist." He looked around. "Who's in charge of this place, anyway?"

Edited by The Bookwyrm

28 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

Gerald decided to completely give in to his madness and not expect anything unsurprising.
"Destroying a universe is a rather odd thing to do on a Thursday, even for money. Unless of course, you already had your tea for the day."

"It's always a good day to destroy a universe."

12 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

"I would say destroying a universe is a rather odd thing to do on any day," the boy said. "Who's paying you? Do you know why?"

"Don't know, don't care."

12 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

He thought for a moment. "More importantly, how? What method or magic or device is giving you the capability to do this?"

The man hefted the box. "This."

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

"It's always a good day to destroy a universe."

"Don't know, don't care."

The man hefted the box. "This."

Rena sighed, she was going to have to talk someone out of universe-destruction, again. Why did stuff like this always seem to happen the days Rena actually had stuff to do while in the waiting room?? Ah well, trying to save some random universe was arguably more important than her choice in hair cut. "So tell me, good sir, how much is this employer paying you?"

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Oi, y'all..." Fadran reached back behind his head, scratching his scalp. "Where in the frick am I here?"

Rena glanced over at the new comer, and realized how she could make this all work out for her. She promptly tossed that abomination of a haircut catalogue at him saying, "pick me a new haircut while I'm busy, will ya?"

Watching Rena walk over to the man with the gauntlet and the buttoned box, the boy (Who was named Darrin Meyer) thought to himself:

Huh. I guess I won't have to be the one to talk him out of destroying a universe. It relieved him, in a way. His work generally pertained to the conflicts within universes, not random ones that threatened universes themselves.

But who is this man? And what's in his box? And who's in charge of this mysterious pocket dimension?

"May I look at the box?" asked Darrin, gesturing to the strange container covered in buttons.

1 hour ago, Scarletfox said:

Rena sighed, she was going to have to talk someone out of universe-destruction, again. Why did stuff like this always seem to happen the days Rena actually had stuff to do while in the waiting room?? Ah well, trying to save some random universe was arguably more important than her choice in hair cut. "So tell me, good sir, how much is this employer paying you?"

"They will perform a service that I am in dire need of," replied the man. "Namely, extricating this." He held up the gauntlet.

15 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

"May I look at the box?" asked Darrin, gesturing to the strange container covered in buttons.

"I can't really stop you from looking," the man replied.