What to read before Rhythm of War?

Iredomi

So I just finished Oathbringer after a three year break from reading any fantasy and it was fantastic! I was wondering what would be best to read before Rhythm of War, the Cosmere I haven't read yet are, White Sand Graphic Novels, Dawnshard & Bands of Mourning. Would it be best to read these before getting into Rhythm of War? 

In general, especially with something like the Cosmere works which contain easter eggs or more overt hints across series, for best effect... Read them in published order.

For example, you don't have to have read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance; but if you have, there's this one scene at the end of WoR that suddently becomes a whole lot cooler :D

As for Bands of Mourning before Rhythm of War... Remembering that chronologically, the events of Mistborn Era 2 happen AFTER the "first five" of Stormlight Archive means it's not a spoiler for "stuff that happens", but I still think it would be more in line with the "reveals to the reader as intended by the author" to read them in that order. I can think of one or two things like that.

On 27.4.2022 at 10:38 PM, robardin said:

In general, especially with something like the Cosmere works which contain easter eggs or more overt hints across series, for best effect... Read them in published order.

But that would mean reading Alloy of Law between Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, and Shadows of Self plus Bands of Mourning between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer. Also Oathbringer between White Sand volume 1 and 2, which is even more incoherent.

I don't think it's a good way to go about it. In fact, I think that those who join in only now are privileged to get to read the series in one piece instead of jumping between them like Brandon does when writing them (and we do when he releases them).

@OT: You should be fine with where you are now. White Sand is definitely not required for anything at all. Finishing what we have of Era 2 right now might be kinda cool, but not really important.