Studio Ghibli RP

Channelknight Fadran

The Setting, ctnd  

13 members have voted

1. 1. The Final Decision

• Laputa-era war, with wizards wielding powerful crystal magic and taking over the world in the name of their Castle in the Sky
    • Steampunk-era war, with nations all over yeeting wizards and bombs at their enemies
    • Spirit-era war, with spirits and humans finally deciding that they hate each others' guts enough that death is the only solution

Put simply: we're gonna RP in a cute little Ghibli world! I'm not sure which time period / movie / setting it'll be in. At this point in time I actually know nothing.

But I needed to make this thread. Man oh man do I love Studio Ghibli, and it's about dang time there be an RP for it.

So... I guess I'll make a poll to decide what tone / setting / etc this'll be in, and then we'll go from there. Do bear in mind that a lot of these are compatible with each other, which is why I made it multiple-choice. (Disclaimer: I'm only putting down the movies that I've seen because I'm like that).

Edit: Here's the setting and such

Spoiler

Premise: All the kingdoms and nations of the world are going to war, as kingdoms and nations often do. They've employed all the wizards and witches in their regions to fight with their powers as human weapons. In theory you could be an OP wizard man/woman, but thus far the characters have been mostly normal. I guess if you want to be OP, just run it through your wonderful game master (me).

Character Sheet:

Spoiler

Name:

Witch/Wizard:

Skills:

Personality:

Appearance:

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

There was that one thread years ago with the theory that all Ghibli movies happen in the same world. That could be useful here.

I'll leave it here just in case anyone's interested. Really love the idea btw.

Edited by Eluvianii

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN

Howl's Moving Castle won by a landslide, and Princess Mononoke took close-ish second. Spirited Away was decently popular, and everything else was voted equally except My Neighbor Totoro (for some reason).

So here are some variables that seem to be popular:

• Steampunk (I concur. Steampunk is good)
  • Wizards (M a g i c)
  • Battles and explosions and war (more on the epic side than the cutesy side) 

I have a few ideas that could work. In other words, we're doing another poll:

• The Laputa era, featuring wizards wielding crystal magic as well as extremely powerful technology. This would be more sci-fan than steampunk.
  • Howl's Moving Castle era, featuring a number of nations competing in a grand war. They're all employing wizards into their armies to attack airships, destroy towns, and other things. This would also include nobility and military intrigue.
  • Spirits and Humanity are at war once again, and that's kinda bad for all concerned parties. Likely this would be more sword-y and magic-y than gun-y and steam-y, but ain't nuffin' wrong with that.

(Imagine this being said by the voiceover guy from Princess Mononoke)

Once, generations ago, it was said that the three great kingdoms were all but brothers in their thoughts and ways. All the world prospered under the guidance of their kings, trading about all things one could want or need for the sake of happiness and unity. The earth itself, even, seemed content with the tilling of its soils and breaking of its stones. Grand cities and sprawling farmlands covered the nations.

But no peace, it would seem, was meant to be.

Tina dove into a trench with a desperate shout, shoving her back to the wooden edge at the side. She clutched a muddy rifle to her chest, breathing in gasps. Sweat soaked her uniform and matted her hair, rolling down her face like tears.

The grenade exploded, blasting fire and iron shrapnel into a blazing mushroom cloud. Tina shrieked and pulled her head into her legs, clamping her hands to her ears. That didn't do anything to silence the crashing, blasting, and screaming.

A half-charred, blackened person was hurled into the trench not three inches from here from the blast. Tina clamped a hand to her mouth, eyes gone wide. Blood soaked through what remained of the body's uniform, leaking into the mud. Not a single breath heaved or broke the man's chest.

"Prepare to charge!" The colonel cried, firing a bullet into the air with his pistol.

Her breath caught. Suddenly the air stung her throat, chest, stomach, lungs: like acid on an open wound.

"We'll take the fortress today! I don't care if it means the death of every last one of you! Today you fight for the honor of Abralia!"

Tina keeled over and dropped her rifle. No no no no--WAIT--

Acid and phlegm barreled out her throat, spewing all her rations and water into the ground. Tina fell to all fours, gasping and shivering. The panic tried to cough up more, but there wasn't anything left to eject. Instead she began dry retching, coughing, sweating...

"READY--"

Spoiler

Name: Tina Alison

Profession: Wizard's Apprentice in a small town. She was learning how to brew potions before being enlisted into the army. (And now she's in the army. That's her new profession).

Witch/Wizard: In training

Skills: Basic alchemy, cooking, repairing clocks, and playing with kids. She's a sure shot with a rifle, but certainly not under fire.

Appearance: Barely out of teenagerhood. Fluffy brown hair, black eyes, freckles all over the place; kinda cute, in a childlike sorta way. I'll get to doodling her at some point.

Personality: Generally pretty fun and social, but right now everyone's getting exploded, so none of that really matters.

Also I'm currently trying to throw together a playlist of epic Ghibli music for the folks here who desperately need music to write. I know that I can't do a good action scene without some hot beats, so I've been cycling through each movie's OSTs to find the good ones.

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

Coniffine looked over at a small girl heaving her stomach out. The poor thing.

Looking through her medicine bag Coniffine found a pill she had made for battle sickness.

"Here, eat this dear." Coniffine told the girl. "It will make you feel better."

Spoiler

Name: Coniffine Williams

Profession: Botanist, with active millitary duty

Witch: Yes.

Skills: Botany, medicine, cooking, sewing, knitting.

Personality: Botanist witch Grandma.

Tina took the pill without so much as a glance, still retching and coughing into the mud. She stuck it in her mouth and unclasped the waterskin, swallowing the liquid, the pill, and the remnants of her stomach's old contents. The gulp made her shudder and cough, then take in a gasp of air as soon as her throat was clear again.

"Th--thank--"