Moon Knight

Anyone else watching Moon Knight? What do you think so far (I have only watched the first two episodes)? This was never a character I was really interested in back in my comic reading days but I like the premise of a super hero with Dissociative Identity Disorder. I also think they cast this great with Oscar Isaac. 

• 2 weeks later...

The ending was very confusing, I agree, but for most of the episode I think I understood what was happening.

Spoiler

Except maybe inside the tomb, with the weird priest dissecting people. Also, I was surprised about the Alexander the Great thing - he tried to merge with every culture he encountered, what was pharaoh-ish about him more than Persian?

8 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

The ending was very confusing, I agree, but for most of the episode I think I understood what was happening.

Reveal hidden contents

Except maybe inside the tomb, with the weird priest dissecting people. Also, I was surprised about the Alexander the Great thing - he tried to merge with every culture he encountered, what was pharaoh-ish about him more than Persian?

He claimed to be the son of Amun. He fused Amun with Zeus thus keeping the greek flavor. 

Episode 5 was so dark and yet so satisfying. 

23 hours ago, Scarletfox said:

What do you guys think about episode four? I like how (through all the episodes), it can be a little confusing, and you aren't ever sure quite exactly what's going on, which I think is intentional

I had no idea what was going on here lol. The next episode explains it though. 

22 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

Episode 5 was so dark and yet so satisfying. 

Yes very dark but this one has been my favorite episode since we kinda learn what has been going on. 

Spoiler

So is this the end of the Steven persona? I was really glad to see that the persona was created before becoming Moon Knight even though the reason behind it was pretty dark. 

38 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Yes very dark but this one has been my favorite episode since we kinda learn what has been going on. 

Reveal hidden contents

So is this the end of the Steven persona? I was really glad to see that the persona was created before becoming Moon Knight even though the reason behind it was pretty dark. 

I agree. If your spoiler is right, that would be so fascinating. I loved seeing Marc's past and how the Steven persona stemmed from that. I'm excited to see his other persona now. 

1 minute ago, Morningtide said:

I agree. If your spoiler is right, that would be so fascinating. I loved seeing Marc's past and how the Steven persona stemmed from that. I'm excited to see his other persona now. 

Yes! I have a sneaking suspicion we have seen glimpses of the third persona so far but guessing they will come to the forefront soon. Everything makes a lot more sense now (well not everything haha) after the last episode.  

1 minute ago, StormingTexan said:

Yes! I have a sneaking suspicion we have seen glimpses of the third persona so far but guessing they will come to the forefront soon. Everything makes a lot more sense now (well not everything haha) after the last episode.  

I agree. I wonder if we will have reveals for times he was in the third persona but we thought he was in one of the other two. 

I’ve been enjoying it. Definitely hoping we meet the third persona that seems to be foreshadowed.  I know nothing about this character so it has been really interesting for me. The thing that kind of blows my mind is that the Egyptian gods are MCU canon. I mean so are the Norse ones with Thor, but they have more of an explanation. What are they!? Though I did like the Black Panther reference this episode. 
I’m also definitely curious about Khonshu and his intentions. Seems like no one likes him much, but he seems better than Ammit…

I'm not sure how they'll tie everything up in the final episode, seeing it's supposedly around 45 minutes and I've heard there isn't going to be a second season.

Spoiler

Steven apparently being dead, Ammit supposedly being freed and presumably only unpowered Layla being able to help from the world of the living, it looks like there's going to be some serious Deus Ex Machina to get out of it in a decent way.

If it wasn't supposed to be set post Blip, I would have thought that the souls reaching the Duat were all the casualties of the Snap. 

How likely do people think it is that they're telling the truth about not requiring intimate knowledge of the wider MCU?

Spoiler

As some theories say, Gorr the God Butcher butchering the Egyptian gods at the end of the series seems like the kind of tie-in they would go for.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:14 AM, jamesbondsmith said:

I'm not sure how they'll tie everything up in the final episode, seeing it's supposedly around 45 minutes and I've heard there isn't going to be a second season.

Hide contents

Steven apparently being dead, Ammit supposedly being freed and presumably only unpowered Layla being able to help from the world of the living, it looks like there's going to be some serious Deus Ex Machina to get out of it in a decent way.

If it wasn't supposed to be set post Blip, I would have thought that the souls reaching the Duat were all the casualties of the Snap. 

How likely do people think it is that they're telling the truth about not requiring intimate knowledge of the wider MCU?

Hide contents

As some theories say, Gorr the God Butcher butchering the Egyptian gods at the end of the series seems like the kind of tie-in they would go for.

Agree there is a lot to wrap up in one episode and I can only imagine that it will tie into something else at this point with the new Dr Strange movie being the most likely candidate. 

Okay. I am satisfied with that ending. Wrapped what seemed to be the main story up pretty nicely, told us just a bit more to bait us for what is next. I still have a few questions. 

Spoiler

This didn’t really show us how this will ultimately tie into the MCU at large. It is supposed to right? 

Did Khonshu really release Marc as his avatar? Trying to figure this out. Steven seemed to by default be his avatar by virtue of also being Marc. So I feel like with Jake seemingly being Khonshu’s avatar now, it still technically applies the same way. Khonshu is just trying to hide it.

I would still love some more info about who/what the Egyptian gods are. The Asgardians as Norse gods have been explained. But how is who goes to the Egyptian afterlife determined? I know this is slightly nit picky, but it is like they just dropped multiple “right” belief systems in (especially with the nod to the Black Panther afterlife) so from a “mechanics” standpoint I want answers. From a story standpoint I can deal and ignore it.

As a non comics reader, here are some more of my thoughts. 

Spoiler

I like how they presented Marc’s backstory and explained his multiple personalities. I think this would technically be considered Dissociative Identity Disorder correct? I think both Steven and Jake make sense. One personality to have a somewhat normal, non traumatic life. And one that is, for lack of better words at the moment, punishing others or, as aligns well with Khonshu, seeking vengeance because of Marc’s trauma. Both the aggression, and the hiding seem like valid trauma responses.

I also liked that many of the characters seemed morally grey. Khonshu was working to stop Ammit, but he is manipulating and taking advantage of Marc/Steven/Jake/etc. I would be really curious to know more of Harrow’s history as Khonshu’s avatar. Releasing Ammit is pretty darn bad, but what trauma did Harrow have to lead him to that? And what is up with the rest of the Egyptian gods? Did they just go full 17th shard non-interference?

Editing to add that I’m going to create a thread in the Stormlight section on some thoughts I had about this story and some characters in that story. If anyone cares to go check that out.

Edited by Philomath

As expected the ending felt a little rushed but all in all I enjoyed it and it felt like a satisfying conclusion. I am a little bummed there is not a second season planned but hope to see Moon Knight as a cameo in some of the other series coming up. This is probably one of the MCU characters I knew the least about going in. Never read the comics so I no comparison to how this all panned out compared to the comics but he is a very interesting character.