Castled frowned, but otherwise didn't respond to Scarred's story about 'Willem'. The Forests often held superstitions of Shades like that, specters who could think, who could remember their past lives. None of those tales ended particularly well.

A newcomer approached, and Castled watched the Shade - Willem - try to block him from entry. It was bizarre to say the least. Shades didn't have thought, they didn't have goals, like warding people away. They were animals. If they wanted you dead, they'd kill you. Otherwise, they'd wander aimlessly among the oaks. Willem was doing neither.

He focused his attention to the newcomer. They looked young, new. Inexperienced. On the other hand, they didn't seem nearly as afraid of Willem as Castled had been. That had to count for something.

Nervous that someone might get hurt before the expedition even started, Castled tried doing the thing he'd seen Scarred do.

"Willem," he called out to the Shade. "Stop."

Hesitantly he looked to Scarred, unsure what (if any) impact it would have on the Shade. Perhaps it only listened to Scarred.

Edited by I think I am here.

9 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Castled frowned, but otherwise didn't respond to Scarred's story about 'Willem'. The Forests often held superstitions of Shades like that, specters who could think, who could remember their past lives. None of those tales ended particularly well.

A newcomer approached, and Castled watched the Shade - Willem - try to block him from entry. It was bizarre to say the least. Shades didn't have thought, they didn't have goals, like warding people away. They were animals. If they wanted you dead, they'd kill you. Otherwise, they'd wander aimlessly among the oaks. Willem was doing neither.

He focused his attention to the newcomer. They looked young, new. Inexperienced. On the other hand, they didn't seem nearly as afraid of Willem as Castled had been. That had to count for something.

Nervous that someone might get hurt before the expedition even started, Castled tried doing the thing he'd seen Scarred do.

"Willem," he called out to the Shade. "Stop."

Hesitantly he looked to Scarred, unsure what (if any) impact it would have on the Shade. Perhaps it only listened to Scarred.

Willem watched as Mourning pulling the kid away. Does that mean he's alright, or does that mean Mourning's making him leave? Willem narrowed his eyes, watching very carefully, not reacting at all when that other kid, Castled, told him to stop.

I'm honestly not sure how much you can see of Willem's reactions.

11 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Yeah. That's me." Jami put on another smile. "Who're you?"

“He’s Scarred,” Castled said, eyeing the newcomer. “As in, his name is literally ‘Scarred’. Not that he is scarred. Which he is. But that just so happens to be his name as well.”

He shook his head and thumbed at himself and the Shade. “I’m Castled. That’s Willem. I think with you here, the crew’s complete.”

The boy looked pretty young. Castled narrowed his eyes. “Say, how many jobs like this have you been on?”

20 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“He’s Scarred,” Castled said, eyeing the newcomer. “As in, his name is literally ‘Scarred’. Not that he is scarred. Which he is. But that just so happens to be his name as well.”

He shook his head and thumbed at himself and the Shade. “I’m Castled. That’s Willem. I think with you here, the crew’s complete.”

"Scarred is a nickname, actually, but I've been called by it for more of my life than I have my given name."

"Actually we've got one more kid coming. Goes by Dallikar. Weird name if you ask me."

17 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Umm... this'll be my first." His smile didn't falter at all.

"Shades," he muttered. No wonder Adonalsiumwillrememberourplighteventually didn't want him talking about the last trip. Couldn't get anyone useful as it was. He put on a false smile, even though it was distorted more to a grimace by his scar. "Great place for experience, right?"

Tani, would Willem look different in the cognitive realm than other shades?

Edited by The Unknown Novel

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Tani, would Willem look different in the cognitive realm than other shades?

I'm not sure. Maybe? Probably? He's more aware of the physical than other shades, definitely more interactive with it, but also able to easily interact with other shades. 

Just different works for me.

Dallikar walked through the forest, mentally reminding himself to slow down. Well, he would have reminded himself if Quartz wasn't telling him every time his pace quickened the slightest bit. "I'm aware of the need to walk slower. I'm aware the Shades will attack if I run. I'm not stupid, Quartz."

"That is true. You are not stupid, nor are you Quartz. I am Quartz, and you are Dallikar."

The conversation was interrupted when Dallikar realized he was almost to the designated clearing. He stopped, and peeked into the Cognitive Realm briefly to check for Shades. There was... something. Whatever it was, it was no normal shade. When he walked into the clearing he looked at the Shade, and said, "Hello." He looked around, "And hello to all of you as well.

Scarred stepped forward. Another young man. "Are you Dallikar?" He proffered his hand.

nevermind disregard what was here previously I missed TUN's post

1 hour ago, The Unknown Novel said:

He stopped, and peeked into the Cognitive Realm briefly to check for Shades. There was... something. Whatever it was, it was no normal shade. When he walked into the clearing he looked at the Shade, and said, "Hello."

Something was different about this new kid. Willem decided to keep an eye on him, in case it was a dangerous different. He was polite though, so Willem waved back.

Now I'm done with this post. (I apologize for the inconvenience.)

Edited by Tani

Dallikar tilted his head slightly, like an Axehound would. He had said hello on a guess, it obviously had more intelligence then a normal Shade.

"Yes. Is this everyone? Seems like a pretty small group to be transporting something this valuable." He hadn't been here long, but it was clear silver was very valuable. Made sense, considering Shades were hurt by it. 

@Tani @I think I am here. @Channelknight Fadran

Edited by The Unknown Novel

On 16/4/2022 at 3:00 AM, The Unknown Novel said:

“Yes. Is this everyone? Seems like a pretty small group to be transporting something this valuable." He hadn't been here long, but it was clear silver was very valuable. Made sense, considering Shades were hurt by it. 

“Might as well have five good hands than twenty useless ones,” Castled remarked, crossing his arms and leaning against the carriage. ‘Dallikar’ was a weird name, but wasn’t like any of them could judge.

“Should we set off?” he asked, suddenly anxious to get moving. He looked to Scarred. “The further we get before nightfall, the better, right?”

12 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Might as well have five good hands than twenty useless ones,” Castled remarked, crossing his arms and leaning against the carriage. ‘Dallikar’ was a weird name, but wasn’t like any of them could judge.

“Should we set off?” he asked, suddenly anxious to get moving. He looked to Scarred. “The further we get before nightfall, the better, right?”

"I suppose. Guess we're the only ones they figured wouldn't steal it. How would you steal this much silver anyways?"

Scarred nodded. "Yes." He walked forward and jostled the ox to get it moving at a fairly slow pace.

@I think I am here. @Channelknight Fadran

Quiet approached Jami. "Hey kid. You don't look like a Forester, how long have you been out here?"

Dallikar jumped onto a slight out jutting on the carriage. He closed his eyes, definitely awake, but seemingly unaware of the world.

Scarred concentrated on walking the ox forward, falling into an old habit.

14 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Ehhh... 'bout three hours?"

"Funny joke, kid. It would have been more believable if you had said a couple days."

Dallikar watched the cognitive realm, it was odd here, different from the spheres and fiery lights of his home. There were no spren here too. "Hardly no danger at all." He didn't realize he had spoken until Quartz responded.

"I do not think the shades would take to it you if they saw you. The one that resides with these humans is... different. You saw how it manifested earlier."

"He manifested. That shade was a person once. Do not dehumanize him for some likely small mistake."

Castled kept a close eye on the Forrests outside. To him, the carriage couldn’t move fast enough. With nothing to do but think, he brought out his book before he could dwell on darker thoughts.

Something Dallikar said made Castled look towards the boy, but Dallikar hadn’t been talking to him.

“You’re from far East, aren’t you?” Castled asked the young man. He’d never been. “By the coast. I hear they live differently there.”

It was the only explanation Castled could come up with at the oddness of the boy. Perhaps he was crazy. Castled didn’t mind that. They were all a little bit crazy.

On 26/4/2022 at 1:08 AM, The Unknown Novel said:

Dallikar exited the cognitive realm. "Uh, ya, sure, you could say that."

@I think I am here. @Tani @Channelknight Fadran

“Tell me,” Castled said, leaning back, melding into the sway of the carriage. If they were going to be riding for the next few days, he could at least get to know his colleagues.

“How is over there? The East? Where…”

He waved his hand vaguely. “Wherever you come from, anyway.”