The theory of Kaladin's gliph and SA5

Jerfier

Hello.

English isn't my native language. Actually i'm just learning so I hope I can explain my theory properly. 

According to my theory, somehow Odium will be released in the fifth book. And our characters will have to make a new oathpact for to save time. And it will be 5 new Heralds on the new oathpact.

As for the starting point of my theory is the Kaladin's chapter gliph.

There is 10 scratchs being erased and 5 spears on the Kaladin's chapter gliph. I think 10 scratchs being erased represent the old Herald and 5 spears represent the new Heralds.

If my theory is true who do you think will be the new 5 Herald?

I think they will be 

Kaladin (because it's his gliph),

Jasnah, Lift (they will be main characters in Era 2) (I don't think Renarin will be),

Adolin (Need someone non-Radiant),

Shallan (I'm not sure. I added to fill in the blank)

G

bir tasarımcı reklamı

In RoW there was a lot of almost religious rhetoric concerning Kaladin, not only from the humans in Urithiru, but even from Moash ("the only hand that can kill Kaladin Stormblessed is his own"). I dont have any other specific quotes right now, but to me it felt a lot like he was seen as some sort of divine being. Killing him off would make absolutely 0 sense after his book 4 arc. For these reasons i can certainly see him becoming a Herald, basically taking on Jezrien's role.. the only issue i have with it is that his mental state doesnt seem stable enough (yet) to take on this burden. 

Adolin i think would be a great candidate, same for Jasnah. With regards to Shallan i see a similar problem to Kaladin. Being a Herald is a huge burden, and I can't (at least right now) see these characters endure the torture and agony that come with it 

12 hours ago, Frustration said:

It should be noted that the Oathpact does not bind Odium just the Fused.

Odium is bound by something else Honor did much earlier.

I think by the end of the fifth book Odium will get rid of the Rosharan system.

1 hour ago, Torol Sadeas said:

In RoW there was a lot of almost religious rhetoric concerning Kaladin, not only from the humans in Urithiru, but even from Moash ("the only hand that can kill Kaladin Stormblessed is his own"). 

I noticed this and this is what makes me think that Kaladin will die in a blaze of glory and be remembered as a legend or almost like a myth. I feel like he's destined to become a Rosharan patron saint of the downtrodden, soldiers on the battlefield and the mentally ill. 

We've seen this trend in some of Sandersons other work where characters we love who die become the centre of a religion, or almost mythological. I feel like this is Sandersons way of keeping them alive in the Cosmere for the fans who love the characters so even centuries later they are still involved in the Cosmere long after they are dust. 

Imagine reading the Mistborn era 4 and a character does something ridiculous and doesn't die and  somebody says "By Stormblessed's nuts"

16 minutes ago, AerionBFII said:

I noticed this and this is what makes me think that Kaladin will die in a blaze of glory and be remembered as a legend or almost like a myth. I feel like he's destined to become a Rosharan patron saint of the downtrodden, soldiers on the battlefield and the mentally ill. 

We've seen this trend in some of Sandersons other work where characters we love who die become the centre of a religion, or almost mythological. I feel like this is Sandersons way of keeping them alive in the Cosmere for the fans who love the characters so even centuries later they are still involved in the Cosmere long after they are dust. 

Imagine reading the Mistborn era 4 and a character does something ridiculous and doesn't die and  somebody says "By Stormblessed's nuts"

Perhaps you are right. But wouldnt such a death make a lot more sense if it happened in RoW? 

I dont know how you feel about it, but to me it would be extremely unsatisfying to see Kal just die after he finally made some progress at the end of RoW. Idk i think it would just be bad writing to have such a large arc about his mental health with almost no reward.

A sacrificial death would be the absolute worst way to end his story in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Torol Sadeas said:

Perhaps you are right. But wouldnt such a death make a lot more sense if it happened in RoW? 

I dont know how you feel about it, but to me it would be extremely unsatisfying to see Kal just die after he finally made some progress at the end of RoW. Idk i think it would just be bad writing to have such a large arc about his mental health with almost no reward.

A sacrificial death would be the absolute worst way to end his story in my opinion. 

Oh I agree, I don't want Kaladin to die hahaha he is my favourite SA character but I think by the end of book 5 he will die, that's just what I feel will happen.
I think the pay off from the mental health arc will end up being that Kaladin will move on from what has been holding him back and he will learn to grow and forgive himself.

But the more I think about Stormlight 6-10 I am struggling to see where Kaladin fits into it, he seems to become more and more mythical by the day and he is revered by the end of ROW. I can't see how he'd be sat back letting others be in the limelight or in danger without having a major role. I mean it would be difficult to tell the story of these more minor characters without Kal overshadowing them.

I think Kaladins legacy on Roshar will consist of overcoming adversity and being an example to others.

My ideal Kaladin ending is him traveling the Cosmere and taking a break

Mistborn era 1 spoilers

Spoiler

I didn't want Vin and Elend to die in mistborn era 1 but it happened.

Elend particularly had learned to grow into being an emperor and he was doing a great job but still somehow Spook ended up being emperor? I was always baffled by that decision to be honest. I thought Elend had virtually no pay off.

2 hours ago, Torol Sadeas said:

Being a Herald is a huge burden, and I can't (at least right now) see these characters endure the torture and agony that come with it

That's exactly the problem I have with all those 'the oathpact will be restored' theories. IIRC Sanderson has promised some level of closure after SA5. For me, knowing some characters I like will be tortured for the foreseeable future certainly isn't any sort of closure, even if they are mentally stable at the outset and do it willingly, no matter what greater good they accomplish. A meaningful sacrificial death would be much easier to bear - not only for them, but for me as a reader.

What, send even one of the old heralds back to what has broken them so badly in the 'first round'? And / or send our favorite heroes on the same road? I wonder that aspect takes so little room in these discussions.

With regard to the theory, I think it is very interesting. The 10 marks being erased, and the five spears. Others have mentioned Kaladin needing to keep healing before taking on another burden. I agree. But what I can see happening is you have a bunch of Honor's power in one place. One of the blades, the Stormfather, the ancient daughter, and Kaladin who may swear the fifth ideal. The religious way in which people have faith in Kaladin leads me to believe he will ascend and then take the Honor blades, reforge them into 5 spears, and give them to the new Heralds. Those Heralds could be current Radiants, but they could also be the best 5 members of Bridge 4 (if Kaladin ascends likely to include Moash). I'm not sure how long after death a Shard can resurrect someone, but Teft could still be hanging out in the cognitive realm (even though when he died he was certainly at peace). So going out on a limb. For the other Heralds, Hoid might help out some of the monarchs by smuggling some Breath for them, that way leadership is not constantly changing. Dalinar, Nevoni, Jasnah

Honor=Kaladin (You can divide up the attributes however you'd like).