AonEne

The Magnus Archives

11 posts in this topic

With so many of us who've gotten into it, I'm surprised this wasn't a thing! I suppose because most of the fans I know were on Discord and we all liveblogged there. Anyway - let's tag spoilers past season one, perhaps, as I know we have a bunch of people currently making their way through. 

Season 3 spoilers: 

Spoiler

What's everyone's favorite fear entity? 

YESSSSSS I WAS GOnna start this and call it "Magnus Archives Cult" but you beat me to it :P

Gonna tag some fellow TMA fans: @Elf @Robin Sedai

S3 spoilers:

Spoiler

Hmmm, favorite is different from most terrifying, so i'd say favorite is The Spiral but only because of Michal.

Here's some of my tma wisdom:

- listen on spotify because there they have awesome bonus content!

- if you ever want particularly good TMA animations, i have so, so many so just ask! TMA's artsy fanbase is truly incredible.

- Tim is the best character and you can't change my mind

While I am not done with the series as of yet, I greatly enjoy the Eye. Not because I generally fear being observed, but because in all honesty if I discovered all these entities exist...let's just say it wouldn't be long before the institute got my application.

At the pace I'm going I should expect finishing sometime in the next 10 years, but I do listen to it. This podcast scratches some itches that are difficult to find in any story. 

6 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

While I am not done with the series as of yet, I greatly enjoy the Eye. Not because I generally fear being observed, but because in all honesty if I discovered all these entities exist...let's just say it wouldn't be long before the institute got my application.

Seconding this.

I highly recommend the podcast Archive 81 Season 3 (and its short story Left of the Dial) for those who loved the Magnus Archives.

Don't worry about Season 1 & 2, they are good too and the main characters of the first two seasons do appear in season 3 but it follows new people. The magic system idea is amazing as is the characterization. Also, has lesbian (S1 & 2) and gay (S3 & LotD) main leads.

Other great podcasts are Night Vale (in the same vein as Archive 81 & Magnus) and Wolf 359 (sci-fi). There's also the Left-Right Game which has an amazing concept and execution, though its ending was a bit disappointing.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, Szeth's Facepalm said:

Tim is the best character and you can't change my mind

But consider: I love Jon 

On 4/3/2022 at 0:29 PM, TheWanderer said:

That's totally fair, though as attractive as Elias is, I gotta admit I would not want to work for the Institute for spoilery reasons. Maybe if I could ally with S3 

Spoiler

Beholding in some other way, ideally with the main cast, or S5 

Spoiler

Annabelle because I can't trust her, but I'd rather not have her as an enemy, 

or the Vast? S4 

Spoiler

I like Simon alright, and from what little I remember of Mike Crew he seemed mostly chill? 

S5 

Spoiler

The Spiral would be an option for sure, Michael's okay, and Helen is also okay though I would stick with Jon and Martin over her, so. 

I'd also take Hunt if I had to, honestly I'd take a few of them if I had no choice, but I would prefer to stay mostly in my own headspace and I dunno if I'd be able to with the Hunt. It sounds like it alters the way you think more intensely than the others, or it can if you let it, and I worry that I would. 

Then again I would absolutely fall to Web or Eye mindsets as well so...*shrugs*. I just trust myself a little more with those. (Probably shouldn't, I'm sure I'd be twisted badly by it, but hopefully I could do about as well as Jon as an Avatar.) 

S4 

Spoiler

Staying away from the Lonely, though. Storm you Peter. You're very funny but storm you. (And no offense meant to Martin, you were trying your best, honey.) 

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, AonEne said:

But consider: I love Jon 

That's totally fair, though as attractive as Elias is, I gotta admit I would not want to work for the Institute for spoilery reasons. Maybe if I could ally with S3 

Reveal hidden contents

Beholding in some other way, ideally with the main cast, or S5 

Reveal hidden contents

Annabelle because I can't trust her, but I'd rather not have her as an enemy, 

or the Vast? S4 

Reveal hidden contents

I like Simon alright, and from what little I remember of Mike Crew he seemed mostly chill? 

S5 

Reveal hidden contents

The Spiral would be an option for sure, Michael's okay, and Helen is also okay though I would stick with Jon and Martin over her, so. 

I'd also take Hunt if I had to, honestly I'd take a few of them if I had no choice, but I would prefer to stay mostly in my own headspace and I dunno if I'd be able to with the Hunt. It sounds like it alters the way you think more intensely than the others, or it can if you let it, and I worry that I would. 

Then again I would absolutely fall to Web or Eye mindsets as well so...*shrugs*. I just trust myself a little more with those. (Probably shouldn't, I'm sure I'd be twisted badly by it, but hopefully I could do about as well as Jon as an Avatar.) 

S4 

Reveal hidden contents

Staying away from the Lonely, though. Storm you Peter. You're very funny but storm you. (And no offense meant to Martin, you were trying your best, honey.) 

Attractiveness of staff does not factor into my decisions. More that reading through an archive of magical horror stories and perusing relics is strangely a semi dream job for me.

Edited by TheWanderer

On 4/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, TheWanderer said:

Attractiveness of staff does not factor into my decisions. More that reading through an archive of magical horror stories and perusing relics is strangely a semi dream job for me.

Didn't mean to imply it did, sorry XD Yeah, it'd be interesting for sure! 

8 hours ago, AonEne said:

Didn't mean to imply it did, sorry XD Yeah, it'd be interesting for sure! 

No worries, merely a jest in my part.