ShardlessVessel

SP4 Exact Words

14 posts in this topic

Quote

AdelRD

Should we assume that Sigzil’s Dawnshard is the same that Hoid used to have?

Brandon Sanderson

Sigzil, at one point, held the same Dawnshard that Hoid used to have. I phrased that very intentionally.

Secret Project #4 Reveal and Livestream (March 29, 2022)

(emphasis mine)

I don't have much to elaborate here, but I want to draw attention to this word: held.

One does not hold a Dawnshard. One becomes a Dawnshard. Brandon's statement that he "phrased that very intentionally" seems to imply that Sigzil is not a Dawnshard or Dawnsliver.

I've seen speculation that the First Gem, Hoid's topaz, housed a Dawnshard like the mural Rysn finds in her novella. Perhaps Sigzil has held the First Gem, but didn't become the Dawnshard within.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have jumped the gun a bit. I haven't finished the stream yet, but Brandon seems to use the term "hold" for Dawnshards quite liberally, and all but states that Nomad actually was the Dawnshard.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 4/1/2022 at 10:32 AM, ShardlessVessel said:

(emphasis mine)

I don't have much to elaborate here, but I want to draw attention to this word: held.

One does not hold a Dawnshard. One becomes a Dawnshard. Brandon's statement that he "phrased that very intentionally" seems to imply that Sigzil is not a Dawnshard or Dawnsliver.

I've seen speculation that the First Gem, Hoid's topaz, housed a Dawnshard like the mural Rysn finds in her novella. Perhaps Sigzil has held the First Gem, but didn't become the Dawnshard within.

I think you are correct, he sets it up as someone becomes a Dawnshard in the novella and if he's being careful with his wording like he says then Sigzil holding the Dawnshard means he wasn't a Dawnshard like Hoid was and Rysn is. 

It would be funny if he literally picked Hoid up when he was a Dawnshard or they hugged and that's what counts as "held". 

At one time Brandon said a person becomes a Shard and it's still used in the books somewhat. The Vessel's go by their Shard names in most cases, but he did introduce Vessel as a distinction between the Shard and the person who picked it up.  We'll see if he stays consistent with Dawnshard. 

Edited by Child of Hodor
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Brandon was emphasizing the fact that Sig doesn't have the Dawnshard anymore. That he held it in the past, but does not hold it in the present.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I think Brandon was emphasizing the fact that Sig doesn't have the Dawnshard anymore. That he held it in the past, but does not hold it in the present.

This is how I took it as well. Which "presently" in the case means in the future of the Cosmere so possible he held it all the way through the back five of SA but we will have to see. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2022 at 11:40 AM, Nameless said:

I think Brandon was emphasizing the fact that Sig doesn't have the Dawnshard anymore. That he held it in the past, but does not hold it in the present.

You can hold a position, like the office of POTUS, and you ARE the POTUS, so I really think this is the same thing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

What if Sigzil “held” Rysn as in they were romantically involved at some point, since she is a current dawn shard.

Edited by Arclomedarian
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arclomedarian said:

What if Sigzil “held” Rysn as in they were romantically involved at some point, since she is a current dawn shard.

I doubt that would give him immortality or any of the other benefits and downsides of holding a Dawnshard. And Ryns's Dawnshard doesn't seem likely to give a no-killing effect anyways.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Nameless said:

I doubt that would give him immortality or any of the other benefits and downsides of holding a Dawnshard. And Ryns's Dawnshard doesn't seem likely to give a no-killing effect anyways.

Yeah, "Change" someone from alive to dead. :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How does a Dawnshard change owner/carrier?
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Onironte said:
How does a Dawnshard change owner/carrier?

Probably similar to Shards. Either someone drops it and a compatible person picks it up, or the previous Dawnshard directly grants the status of Dawnshard to someone else somehow. I assume the way Rysn became the Dawnshard That Is Not Actually Called Change is the former.

But Brandon has been tight-lipped about Dawnshards so far. I'm hoping we'll know more about them in SP4 or Stormlight part 2, but I could see them being left in mystery until Dragonsteel or even Era 4.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2022 at 11:22 AM, Nameless said:

I doubt that would give him immortality or any of the other benefits and downsides of holding a Dawnshard. And Ryns's Dawnshard doesn't seem likely to give a no-killing effect anyways.

Brandon has said that someone who can wield Investiture would gain more benefits and powers from a Dawnshard than someone who cannot. Rysn was not Invested when she became the Dawnshard, but Sigzil is highly Invested as a Knight Radiant. He would probably have more effect on him than her.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Johnny Silverlight said:

Brandon has said that someone who can wield Investiture would gain more benefits and powers from a Dawnshard than someone who cannot. Rysn was not Invested when she became the Dawnshard, but Sigzil is highly Invested as a Knight Radiant. He would probably have more effect on him than her.

I definitely agree. Sigzil holding the Dawnshard is not the scenario I was responding to there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.