[SA5 Prologue reading] A certain Ardent's "surname"

Ixthos

... Did Gavilar give Rushu's surname (or second name) as Khriss? If that is what Gavilar said rather than my mishearing her name, does that mean Khriss is masquerading on Roshar as Rushu, or that Rushu is her daughter or a descendent? Of course, I could have misheard that, but if not, that lends itself to three possibilities:

• Rushu is Khriss
  • Rushu is related to Khriss (perhaps as a relative who relayed to Khriss what has happened with the development of anti-Investiture
  • Rushu has no relation to Khriss, but has a similar surname

The section of audio in question, transcribed:

Gavilar strode to the bookcase, where one of the new heating fabrials had been delivered to him by the scholar, Rushu Khriss, just earlier in the day. He took it from its clock casing, weighing it.

timestamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IAXaDWdKU&t=35m5s

7 minutes ago, Bnaya said:

that was Rushur Kris, the artist and master artifabrian. When had he arrived? Who had invited him.

RoW prologue. Its probably him.

Ahhh, okay, I'd forgotten about him. Thanks :)

Okay, new theory - Rushur Kris is a descendent or relative of Khriss, and may be one of her contacts on Roshar, especially considering his speciality in the local and at the time of the prologue primary Rosharan arcane art of fabrial construction.

Just now, Nathrangking said:

Just replied to @Bnaya's response which likewise corrected me, but thanks :) I really should have checked the coppermind first! My new theory, salvaged from the old, is that Rushur Kris is Khriss's contact and relative. Let's not let coincidental name similarities be ignored!

Just now, Ixthos said:

Just replied to @Bnaya's response which likewise corrected me, but thanks :) I really should have checked the coppermind first! My new theory, salvaged from the old, is that Rushur Kris is Khriss's contact and relative. Let's not let coincidental name similarities be ignored!

True. Brandon, does not believe in them.

19 hours ago, RShara said:

Don't forget Rushu, the pretty ardent. Also, Lin, Lyn, and Lirin.

And "Kenton Street" in Luthadel that led to the Square of the Survivor, where Allriane and Vin have a dress-shopping spree at one point, had nothing to do with the Sand Master of Taldain, either.

Well, not in-world. I guess since he'd written but not yet published White Sand when writing Mistborn: TFE, he could have just had the name rolling around in his head.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:29 PM, robardin said:

And "Kenton Street" in Luthadel that led to the Square of the Survivor, where Allriane and Vin have a dress-shopping spree at one point, had nothing to do with the Sand Master of Taldain, either.

Do we know that? Khriss and Baon did both make it offworld, and Trell the foreman might've too, so there's a lot of future worldhoppers in his circle... Might actually come from him some way or another, though I'm not quite sure how.

7 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Do we know that? Khriss and Baon did both make it offworld, and Trell the foreman might've too, so there's a lot of future worldhoppers in his circle... Might actually come from him some way or another, though I'm not quite sure how.

It seems pretty unlikely, but I guess if Khriss is visiting Scadrial by at least Secret History, I suppose why not Kenton? Still, getting a street named after you in The Lord Ruler’s own city probably required getting in good with him or at least ranking members of the Steel Ministry going some years back, and most worldhoppers seem to keep a relatively low profile (unless, like Felt in SA, they “go native” and marry and take employment and whatnot on a new planet, settling in for a reasonably long term versus just passing through).

Another example of name crossing in the Cosmere would be Zu - definitely different people despite the shared name, as one is a male Captain of the guards in The Emperor’s Soul (the main one who hates Shai), and the other a female Iriali Stoneward in Rhythm of War who is one of the Radiants who accompanies Adolin and Shallan to Lasting Integrity.

Just now, robardin said:

Still, getting a street named after you in The Lord Ruler’s own city probably required getting in good with him or at least ranking members of the Steel Ministry going some years back

It'd definitely be a wild tale, that's for sure lmao. My current headcanon is that maybe he was a figure in early Trelagist theology or something, and perhaps the street was named by people of that heritage who might have at the time still had mythologized stories about him even if the Lord Ruler ensured actual worship was stamped out. But there's literally no evidence for that, based entirely around "what if it is named after him" and "maybe Trell really liked sand masters after he got saved".

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

Another example of name crossing in the Cosmere would be Zu - definitely different people despite the shared name, as one is a male Captain of the guards in The Emperor’s Soul (the main one who hates Shai), and the other a female Iriali Stoneward in Rhythm of War who is one of the Radiants who accompanies Adolin and Shallan to Lasting Integrity.

Yeah those really can't be the same people, agreed. For that matter there's also three different Reds, and three unrelated shash glyphs (with one on an entirely different planet from the other two), and Ati the Aon and Ati the Vessel are probably unrelated (and probably not even pronounced the same).

I believe most times in the Cosmere there'll be a in-universe logical (albeit perhaps loose or only in the back of Brandon's mind) reason for similarity in names or naming conventions. Obviously, coincides are also a possibility, but where is the fun on that?:P

On 4/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, robardin said:

It seems pretty unlikely, but I guess if Khriss is visiting Scadrial by at least Secret History, I suppose why not Kenton? Still, getting a street named after you in The Lord Ruler’s own city probably required getting in good with him or at least ranking members of the Steel Ministry going some years back, and most worldhoppers seem to keep a relatively low profile (unless, like Felt in SA, they “go native” and marry and take employment and whatnot on a new planet, settling in for a reasonably long term versus just passing through).

Not really sure how that would work but @LewsTherinTelescope seems to have a pretty decent sugestion. I just think that knowing how relevant Trell is/will be/has been? to Scadrial and the very palussible possibility that he might be 

Spoiler

an avatar of Autonomy, thus relating him to Taldain

we can't afford to discard any possible connections between this two planets.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, robardin said:

So, I don't know if you are offering this as an example of similar names in the Cosmere being coincidence or having actual relevance to the larger Cosmere plot. My 2¢ would be that is rather likely the Iriali had been to Sel (perhaps even originated on Sel and/or are the OG Elantrians 'cause the similarity in metalic hair/skin -though golden instead of silver...for...ehmm.. reasons [seen a coupple of theorizing in this direction in several diferent posts]) Anyway, I guess that in that case the name could still be common after visiting other lands.

As for the main topic of the thread I have to admit when Brandon read Rushur Kris, I thought of both Rushu the ardent and Khriss, our beloved horldhopping scholar. Then I remembered, this is probably just the artifabrian Navani mentions in her PoV Prologue as being someone she admires on whom Gavilar had taken a sudden and inexpected interest. I still think is a weird choice of name, but can't seem to be able to see any weird revelations there.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:31 PM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Yeah those really can't be the same people, agreed. For that matter there's also three different Reds, and three unrelated shash glyphs (with one on an entirely different planet from the other two), and Ati the Aon and Ati the Vessel are probably unrelated (and probably not even pronounced the same).

Can't seem to remember the different shash glyphs. Could you remind me? I would very much appreciate it.:D

Also, yeah, the Ati thing has been mentioned by Brandon as just a coincidence (I think but couldn't find a WoB that said so) but I still feel like that's gonna be the exception and not the rule.

Edited by Shardsplinter
Typo

4 hours ago, Shardsplinter said:

Can't seem to remember the different shash glyphs. Could you remind me? I would very much appreciate it.:D

Sometimes Brandon seems to just get sounds in his head he likes for a given type of thing, lmao

• 1 month later...