Discuss the Stormlight 5 Prologue Here

2 minutes ago, Infinity Sliver said:

ok,maye not elhokar,but kaladin right? And even if he wasn't a good match,apparently he close enough to be able to soon bond him,so breathing stormlight isnt too farfetched

Kaladin, yeah. But it doesn't look like Gavilar is at that point yet.

Just now, Nameless said:
  Hide contents

Sigzil's knight was the one that forged the connection. Yes, they had a pre-existing connection, but my point was that it is possible to strengthen a pre-existing bond without physically touching someone.

Spoiler

Ok, that point is valid.

The point that VR calls are easy, less so.

1 minute ago, Nameless said:

Kaladin, yeah. But it doesn't look like Gavilar is at that point yet.

Have we ever seen anyone other than Kaladin breathe in Stormlight prior to the first oath? IMO there's pretty clear evidence he's special in other ways so maybe this isn't something others are capable of.

Edited by FiliusHonoris

1 minute ago, mathiau said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ok, that point is valid.

The point that VR calls are easy, less so.

Spoiler

They're easier than stealing the Stormfather and forcing him into a bond against his will.

Just now, FiliusHonoris said:

Have we ever seen anyone other than Kaladin? IMO there's pretty clear evidence he's special in other ways so maybe this isn't something others are capable of.

Yes. Dalinar fed on stormlight on the battlefield.

5 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Er... Hoid is a Duralumin Compounder

We do NOT know that.

We know Hoid is mistborn and that he has, among his many Invested possessions, unsealed metalminds. We don't fully know how unsealed metalminds work - there's no guarantee that Hoid could burn an unsealed duraluminmind, or that he could use it to make other metalminds to compound.

2 minutes ago, Nameless said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They're easier than stealing the Stormfather and forcing him into a bond against his will.

Spoiler

While the power comparison between Hoid and Ishar is far from obvious, you're probably right

1 minute ago, FiliusHonoris said:

Ah, you just said that, my bad.  Is it possible she was a Squire?  I don't recall at what point she breathed in Stormlight.

At the moment the Lightspren tried to bond her

Just now, ShardlessVessel said:

We do NOT know that.

We know Hoid is mistborn and that he has, among his many Invested possessions, unsealed metalminds. We don't fully know how unsealed metalminds work - there's no guarantee that Hoid could burn an unsealed duraluminmind, or that he could use it to make other metalminds to compound.

We perfectly know how unsealed metalminds work (except for their creation). If he has an unsealed Nicrosilmind that can store the investiture of a Connector, and it'd be surprising if he did not, then he can compound Duralumin.

Edited by mathiau

1 hour ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

We do know that connections have different levels of strength in the cosmere? I don't get what you are talking about

We do not know that the way they are manipulated is different

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

There is a difference between the connection between Kaladin and Moash, and the connection between Moash and the ruler of Azir.

Yes, but manipulating them is the same.

42 minutes ago, FiliusHonoris said:

I'm a firm believer that it was the real Stormfather but I was thinking and wouldn't the mere existence of Squires be an example of Connection by proxy?  The Radiant's bond/connection to their spren gives them access to the surges, but it's not like Squires have bonds to their Radiant's spren.

Could totally be off-base, just thought I'd throw that out there.

You do have a good point there.

35 minutes ago, Nameless said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Proof?

11 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Could be nothing, as Brandon said first draft and all, but anyone else notice that the type of script used to denote when the stormfather speaks changed when he said goodbye to gavilar?

I noticed this but I think when the SF bonds you,he speaks in italics but to the ones that are unbonded,he uses the small caps

Just now, Frustration said:

Proof?

Spoiler

Sigzil does not have Bondsmith levels of power.

Additionally, connection medallions give knowledge of language. We see multiple tiers of connection manipulation, with Bondsmiths at the top.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

Yes, but manipulating them is the same.

No it's not, because one of them allowed Odium to give Kaladin visions, and one of them is completely irrelevant.

Just now, Nameless said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Additionally, connection medallions give knowledge of language. We see multiple tiers of connection manipulation, with Bondsmiths at the top.

No it's not, because one of them allowed Odium to give Kaladin visions, and one of them is completely irrelevant.

If the voice is to be believed, they never had a bond:

"I am not your errand boy. We have no Bond. You are my tool Gavilar."

Just now, teknopathetic said:

If the voice is to be believed, they never had a bond:

"I am not your errand boy. We have no Bond. You are my tool Gavilar."

They were connected enough for Gavilar to get visions outside of Hightstorms.

3 minutes ago, Nameless said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Those are different types of Connection manipulation, not different methods required by the same user.

Connecter ferrings don't need to store different Connections in different ways, why should a Bondsmith have to manipulate them in different ways.

1 minute ago, Nameless said:

They were connected enough for Gavilar to get visions outside of Hightstorms.

Or the Stormfather could always do that and simply won't anymore.

Connecter ferrings don't need to store different Connections in different ways, why should a Bondsmith have to manipulate them in different ways.

They can also only manipulate connection in one way. And I'm not saying Bondsmiths have to do things in different ways, but that there are certain types of bonds that are more powerful, and thus take more effort to manipulate.

They did it with Gavilar, so it is possible.

You need to have a connection to somebody to give them a vision. Even Odium needed a connection to Kaladin for that. The Stormfather normally gets that from the Highstorm, but with Gavilar, he must have been connected enough to do so without it.

24 minutes ago, Infinity Sliver said:

I noticed this but I think when the SF bonds you,he speaks in italics but to the ones that are unbonded,he uses the small caps

Sorry maybe I should clarify. The entire prologue that the stormfather speaks is in italics EXCEPT when he says goodbye to gavilar. See below:

The biggest fool of them all, the Stormfather said. And the thing that has miscalculated. GOODBYE, GAVILAR. I HAVE SEEN A GLIMPSE OF WHAT IS COMING. AND I WILL NOT PREVENT IT.

“What?” Gavilar demanded, stepping forward. “What is coming?”

YOUR LEGACY.

i also included a screen capture because it shows the change more starkly.

Screenshot_20220331-141433_Gmail.jpg

Edited by Pathfinder

Just now, Pathfinder said:

Sorry maybe I should clarify. The entire prolonged that the stormfather speaks is in italics EXCEPT when he says goodbye to gavilar. See below:

I know exactly what you meant,this was the scene i was imagining as well. To me,when that shift happens,it seemed more like the SF we knew before Dalinar bonded him so i found it strange too

4 minutes ago, Infinity Sliver said:

I know exactly what you meant,this was the scene i was imagining as well. To me,when that shift happens,it seemed more like the SF we knew before Dalinar bonded him so i found it strange too

It also comes short after Gavilar says "What are you?", which I think is another indication that there has been some hoodwinking going on.