How to become an OP Seeker

ShardlessVessel

Suppose you are an unscrupulous Seeker who is looking to dramatically increase their power. I have a recipe for you, and it will take at most three murders.

We know from WOBs that it's possible to store unconventional senses, including Allomantic senses, so you'll need to spike a Windwhisperer.

To compound your tin, you'll spike a Tineye.

For extra Copper-piercing, you'll spike a Seeker.

I wouldn't advise going beyond three spikes, as that lets Harmony control you.

How to make use of your ill-gotten powers should be self-evident, but here's the plan anyway:

1. Burn bronze
  2. optionally, burn tin, which may or may not improve the efficacy of your bronze
  3. fill a tinmind with Seeking
  4. burn the tinmind
  5. rinse and repeat

Now you should have near-infinite Seeking power. You may start displaying strange powers as you tap more and more tin and start being capable of sensing static Investiture (assuming that's within the capabilities of Allomantic bronze).

I'm not completely certain whether you'd need to burn bronze at the same time as tapping tin, as I'm not sure that you can tap senses you don't currently have.

• 2 weeks later...

This has me wondering what the Seeker would be detecting. I'm looking at this WoB:

Argent

Mechanically speaking, how does steelsight work? The scientific definition of "metal" gets a little murky in the middle of the periodic table-

Brandon Sanderson

It does.

Argent

-and we see that powerful enough Allomancers can see more than just metals.

Brandon Sanderson

Yep.

Argent

Are Connection and perception significantly involved here?

Brandon Sanderson

To an extent, but the science of it also is. I feel like the stronger steelsight is getting, the more it is detecting things like electromagnetic bonds and even, you know, the strong and weak force and some of these sorts of things that is just in everything, right? And I do think that in strongest applications, Allomancy is going to be moving beyond metals and moving toward things like fundamental forces. So there you go.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 3 (Dec. 16, 2021)

I imagine you would get massive information overload, and you'd have to practice Spook's lesson on using Tin, that it's not about what you can sense but what you can ignore. If you can get to Savant levels of compounded Allomantic senses... well we see what Spook pulls off as a Tin Savant.

Edited by Duxredux
clarity

5 hours ago, Duxredux said:

What this has me wondering is what this Seeker would be detecting. I'm looking at this WoB:

I imagine you would get heavy duty information overload, and you'd have to practice Spook's lesson to Vin on using Tin, that it's not about what you can sense but what you can ignore. If you can get to Savant levels of compounded allomantic senses... well we see what Spook pulls off as a Tin Savant.

I'm wondering if you'd just start hearing the Connection between two things as a tone and rhythm... Those are pretty fundamental, right?

37 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I'm wondering if you'd just start hearing the Connection between two things as a tone and rhythm... Those are pretty fundamental, right?

If we start getting to some really fundamental aspects of sensory input, sight and hearing are basically differentiating between various wavelengths and amplitudes of light waves and air pressure, right? If the analogy persists to tones and rhythms, then someone could train their "Allomantic ear" to pick up really detailed information. Take electromagnetism, with enough sensitivity and understanding, it may not be an exaggeration for this OP Seeker to say, "I can hear you thinking." Neural impulses are probably on the large scale if you can hear subatomic forces. Again, looking at Spook, if you get to Savant level, it could be really wonky and dangerous.

17 minutes ago, Duxredux said:

If we start getting to some really fundamental aspects of sensory input, sight and hearing are basically differentiating between various wavelengths and amplitudes of light waves and air pressure, right? If the analogy persists to tones and rhythms, then someone could train their "Allomantic ear" to pick up really detailed information. Take electromagnetism, with enough sensitivity and understanding, it may not be an exaggeration for this OP Seeker to say, "I can hear you thinking." Neural impulses are probably on the large scale if you can hear subatomic forces. Again, looking at Spook, if you get to Savant level, it could be really wonky and dangerous.

Given the metaphysics of the Cosmere, I would not be surprised if telepathy via Seeking were possible.

Depending on how exactly Allomantic bronze works (it may be picking up on cognitive or spiritual signals, for example), the cognitive activity in someone's mind could be picked up by a sufficiently sensitive Seeker. In the Cognitive Realm, you can basically do that by just touching a person in the Physical.

... but could they send thoughts to someone else, or only listen?

18 hours ago, ShardlessVessel said:

Given the metaphysics of the Cosmere, I would not be surprised if telepathy via Seeking were possible.

Depending on how exactly Allomantic bronze works (it may be picking up on cognitive or spiritual signals, for example), the cognitive activity in someone's mind could be picked up by a sufficiently sensitive Seeker. In the Cognitive Realm, you can basically do that by just touching a person in the Physical.

... but could they send thoughts to someone else, or only listen?

Fairly sure if this was possible it would be only hearing. You can’t exactly send pulses to someone unless they’re also burning Bronze, or if you use emotional allomancy. Perhaps doing some similar method to this for Zinc would result in a sending method.