What's your favorite through least favorite secret project?

Amira

My favorite is #2, I loved the voice. Can't wait to read more of this!

Second favorite is #4, I liked the action, and the MC has flare.

Next is #1 curious to see the character development.

My least favorite is #3. I liked the wroldbuilding, but the characters were too passive/resigned for me.

How about you?

Four was my favorite by far, wasn't even close. The secrets of the Cosmere being teased here are just too much.

Three came next, really love the world, and the magic. These planets they are likely going to be very important in the future, I could easily see them being a regional power.

One was pretty good, but the only thing I care for here are the Aethers.

Two was the bottom of the barrel by quite a long ways, not that it's bad, but that simply by virtue of being Cosmere novels the other three are just too far ahead for it to ever hope to keep up.

Edited by Frustration

sigzil!!!! sigzil!!!!!!! im definitely an action kinda guy, and the whole feeling of him being on the run and exploring new magic systems in a do or die kind of fast-paced series is way way way up my alley. so so so incredibly excited for the sunlit man! i genuinely cannot wait 

I love the worldbuilding of one and three, but three edges out one for me just on vibes alone. painter's world with the neon lights, the darkness and most importantly, Design (side note: DESIGN!!!!!!) hit all the right beats for me. Yumi's world with reminds me of children of the whales and the vibes there have the potential to be spectacular.

i really love the idea of SP2, and so far has me really excited, so I would say SP1 and SP2 are about the same for me.

Incredibly excited for all of them though! man, December 2023 just can't come fast enough.

Edited by melaan enjoyer

SP3 was my favourite, followed by SP1, and then SP4 as the last. I didn't really wanna spoil myself on SP2.

SP3 and SP1 made me feel inquisitive in the sense that I was hunting for easter eggs so the Design stuff was great, but it still feels like a new thing. Whereas SP4 was a story I'm familiar with about a character I'm honestly not super interested in, so I'm going to need to be won over on it because I just don't feel this intense completionist drive about the continuity if that makes sense. As far as it goes if we're talking about Stormlight spin offs I probably would've preferred the Rock novella, the Nighblood book, a book on Ashyn etc.

Edited by Proletariat

Sp#4 -I'm super interested at the cosmere story as a whole. So if I need to pick only one, I will pick this, even if the story itself is less entertaining.

Sp#3- Yumi and Painter are great. Love stories about talented guys without a backbone.

Sp#1- the story itself won't win sp#2, but the aethers are just so interesting!

Sp#2- realy great story, love the exploration, but in the light of the other secret projects, this is my last.

9 hours ago, Frustration said:

Four was my favorite by far, wasn't even close. The secrets of the Cosmere being teased here are just too much.

If I may ask, why? If you go by that standard aren't aethers, who are ancient entities, a larger secret?

3 hours ago, Bnaya said:

Sp#3- Yumi and Painter are great. Love stories about talented guys without a backbone.

What? If he had fled, I'd understand. But that is specifically what he did not.

22 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

What? If he had fled, I'd understand. But that is specifically what he did not.

Yes, but he is scared of social relationships, and he is doing all day things he dont want to. You're right he is brave in other things like confronting nightmares, but I mean social backbone. 

Edited by Bnaya

S1 - possibly Brandon's best prose writing yet in my opinion, also a very interesting atmosphere and I adored the dialogues. Had the vibes of a Song of the Sea style animated feature film. I love it and am super stoked!

S4 - One idea that I myself once had for a story was a chosen hero starting their typical journey, then late in the game becoming immortal and spendig the whole last act on an eternal battle over hundreds of years while his entire group of companions and everyone he originally fought for are long dead and he's all alone. This story seems to be basically that, and I am still fascinated with that idea. Of course, the Cosmere-centric stuff is kinda nice as well (although I first and foremost want a good story - I think I'm not as obsessed with these details as a lot of people on here). We'll see if Brandon manages to make a story with this much action not fall flat on the long run. The Hoid scene was my favorite scene of the four samples!

S3 - I had a hard time imagining what Yumi's planet is supposed to look like, but Painter's story is cool, and Brandon going full-on anime (after having had a lot of anime tropes since forever) is also very interesting. It's hard to really say what this story will actually be about at this point though, since we basically got two half beginnings instead of one full one. The noodles scene was fantastic, ha ha.

S2 - I still like it and it seems like a lot of fun. But it's not on the last place just because it isn't Cosmere, but because I feel that Brandon's writing when he does goofy action can be a bit cringy and on-the-nose (also what I didn't like about Reckoners). I love the dry humor of the guidebook inserts though, and am very much looking forward to those!

I am excited for all of them, that's for sure. But most of all, I am just excited that these are going to exist. The Cosmere has already grown so much through the sample chapters alone, and that's just beautiful to witness.

Edited by Elegy

3 - I love everything about these worlds we've been shown and the contrast between them, and as someone who has come to love all form of art, I love the idea of seeing magic systems based around forms of art, and can't wait to see more about how it all works.

2 - Man I miss stand-alone books. I read so many series that sometimes its nice to have a story that can just stand on its own.

1 - I'm a sucker for well written love stories, and I think this one has the potential to be a really good one. I really like the characters, and so its nice to have a book that I can be excited to get to as a character reader rather than a plot reader, which is so often my primary approach to the Cosmere books.

4 - Its not that I'm not excited for this one. Its just that it being so Cosmere aware means that I won't be able to read the book for itself and just enjoy it for what it is, but have to be looking for all the connections (little c) and references to other books and series, which while fun, is giving me a slight sense of apprehension.

4- This seems so cosmere aware and involves a lot of exploration into different worlds and secret groups. Nomad is a badass and I look forward to the hints it gives in Stormlights future  

3- This seems a pretty cool book, interesting worlds/magic, Design gets a chance to shine (unintentional rhyme there) 

1- I’ve always been a sucker for a good Hoid story  

2- Meh. I’m a native of England so the title was a surprise but I’m more interested in Cosmere antics  I won’t be skipping it though  

SP4- I found this one the most interesting and the action really got me in to the story. 

SP3- The world building on this one puts it just slightly behind SP4. Plus Design! 

SP1- Really mainly interested in this one because of the Aethers.

SP2- This one may potentially rank higher after reading the entire book. I loved Perfect State and this kinda gives me the same vibes just wasn't blown away with the preview chapters. 

29 minutes ago, Amira said:

Wow, everyone has such different takes!

Yet they are not random. So far we have 8 answers.

SP#1 is the mediocre book. For 7 of 8 it is on position 2 or 3.
SP#2 is the polarizing book. For 7 of 8 it is either the best or the worst.

1. SP1, I am in love with the tone. "A jawline so straight it made men question if they were", come on people some of the lines in this are gold. 
2. SP 2, only reason it's not 1 is cause I really like the broader world aspect of cosmere books (i.e. the Iriali Cup)
3. SP 3, just a really cool idea I'm interested in seeing how it'll play out
4. SP 4, while I am keen this is definitely the one that peaks my interest the least out of all of them. Sure it'll give us a lot of really cool cosmere tidbits but I feel it'll be the one I enjoy reading the least.

12 hours ago, Elegy said:

S4 - One idea that I myself once had for a story was a chosen hero starting their typical journey, then late in the game becoming immortal and spendig the whole last act on an eternal battle over hundreds of years while his entire group of companions and everyone he originally fought for are long dead and he's all alone. This story seems to be basically that, and I am still fascinated with that idea. Of course, the Cosmere-centric stuff is kinda nice as well (although I first and foremost want a good story - I think I'm not as obsessed with these details as a lot of people on here). We'll see if Brandon manages to make a story with this much action not fall flat on the long run. The Hoid scene was my favorite scene of the four samples!

oh mann that sounds so cool! also yeah totally agree with you on the hoid scene, it was such a different side of him that we haven't seen anywhere else, which really drives home the significance of it all

I liked SP1 a lot, I also liked SP2 which I was not expecting, as it was non-Cosmere. I thought I would just feel impatient for SP3 but I ended up really liking it. SP 3's worlds were awesome, Painter and Yumi and Design were great and I look forward to more. 1-3 are pretty close to one another in how much I enjoyed them. They're pretty much tied in my mind but if I had to put one on top, I guess it would be SP3.

I didn't really enjoy SP4 all that much, I was just interested in the Night Brigade and figuring out what was going on and who the main character was. The setting was fascinating but the story itself wasn't really all that enjoyable for me. I still like it, but not as much as the preceding stories.

While the 3 cosmere books are pretty neck in neck for me, if i had to choose it would be:

SP4, it seems  to be the most "mainline" of the 3. It's also the one that hooked me the most.

SP3 and SP1, really fun worlds with interesting concepts, I'm also loving the Hoid narration.

SP2, Sanderson's non-cosmere books tend to be hit or miss for me. As a cosmere fan, i know I'll get something out of the others even if i don't love them. This one's pretty much a wild card.

Edited by A25O

Definitely 4, 3, 1, 2 for me. 
4 just sounds amazing. I love the interconnectedness of it. It’s almost a Hoid-lite story. Powerful magic user that’s using multiple sources of magic, and can get “fuel” from ANY investiture and power his magics with it. We’re going to get so much info about how Investiture actually works. His oaths “ended” but his spren isn’t a deadeye, though still dead. Threnody connections. 
3. This just seems like a fascinating set of worlds, and odd magic systems. Not sure we will get much that matters cosmerically, but it should be a fascinating read. 
1. it’s cosmere. It’s aethers, so it WILL be relevant, but for whatever reason I just can’t get excited about aethers. They just don’t do anything for me. I LOVE Hoids voice in this one though, and the dry wit and one-liners (“jawline so straight it makes men question if they are” is just brilliant). It’ll at least be a super fun read. 
2. This one seems fine. It’s interesting. Seems fun. It’s a book I’d read in between books that I WANT to read. I’m a series guy, so a one-off fantasy book doesn’t really do it for me.