Last shard - survival shard

phoenix2563

I'm not trying to imply that, though, the staring of shardic life may be great enough to turn more than one to that path.

4 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

Which is why we know it was so called survival  Shard that everyone thinks Brandon Sanderson was talking about.  Brandon Sanderson clearly said that the not "survival" shard  Has discovered that survival is not desirable ( Which is why I'm confused why anyone thought this was a survival shard)  Given that it makes sense that this shard committed suicide. From What Brandon Sanderson described it sounds like she just gave up on life. 

I'm having trouble understanding, could you rephrase this for me? Thanks.

5 hours ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

I'm not trying to imply that, though, the staring of shardic life may be great enough to turn more than one to that path.

I'm having trouble understanding, could you rephrase this for me? Thanks.

Brandon Sanderson has state that the shard that fans call the survival shard is suicidal so this fits with virtuosity comity suicide.

33 minutes ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

When had he said that?

Paleo (paraphrased)

Is Wisdom a Shard? If so, how bad does it want to survive?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a Shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.

When you conclude survival is undesirable we call that suicidal. 

5 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

Paleo (paraphrased)

Is Wisdom a Shard? If so, how bad does it want to survive?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a Shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.

When you conclude survival is undesirable we call that suicidal. 

The "Wisdom" shard and the Survival shard are not the same.

6 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

Read the original post

What am I supposed to see?

There is a shard that just wants to hide/survive

Spoiler

Chaos

Give us the name of a Shard's intent we have not seen before.

Brandon Sanderson

There is one who just wants to hide and survive.

General Signed Books 2011 (Nov. 8, 2011)

Since this shard just wants to live, they cannot be Virtuosity.

Additionally Brandon has never stated that it is the same shard as the one who is close to "Wisdom". Fans just assumed that with no evidence.

I might have missed something, but isn't it still possible that Mercy is the "Survival Shard"?

On a side-note, I still tend to believe that the non-Whimsy Shard that Brandon was alluding to in the stream is Autonomy because of the similarities between Taldain and Lumar he stressed. So there would be an avatar of Bavadin on the planet in that case.

22 hours ago, Frustration said:

What am I supposed to see?

There is a shard that just wants to hide/survive

Hide contents

Chaos

Give us the name of a Shard's intent we have not seen before.

Brandon Sanderson

There is one who just wants to hide and survive.

General Signed Books 2011 (Nov. 8, 2011)

Since this shard just wants to live, they cannot be Virtuosity.

Additionally Brandon has never stated that it is the same shard as the one who is close to "Wisdom". Fans just assumed that with no evidence.

The original post was about the "wisdom" shard,  Both the author and me assume that that is the same thing as the "survival" shard.  If it isn't then the survival shard isnt relevant to this discussion.

29 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

The original post was about the "wisdom" shard,  Both the author and me assume that that is the same thing as the "survival" shard.  If it isn't then the survival shard isnt relevant to this discussion.

The original post was about the identity of the survival Shard, which OP suggested was a wisdom equivalent. The whole subject is about the survival Shard, as the title implies.

Also, this WoB may be causing a bunch of confusion, because it seems to imply more things than it does

Jofwu

Can you elaborate on why you picked the name Virtuosity? As in, what does it mean to you and how does it fit in to the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

So Virtuosity is specifically relating to artistic talent and artistic sense. I actually was just debating between Artistry and Virtuosity, and I settled on Virtuosity after a decently long debate; it's one of the reasons I haven't canonized this one yet. It is the last big hole. (I know there is one I haven't revealed that you guys kind of know what that one's general Intent is so this is the last big one to reveal, as I believe. I think there is only one, and I think you know part of that one. Maybe I am wrong. I'll have to go back and see; it's hard to remember what you guys know and what you don't know sometimes.)

I wanted to get this one into the Cosmere so that we basically have all sixteen, now. The big decision was: what do I call them? And at the end, Virtuosity just rang to me in the same way Odium did, and so I picked that one. This is the Shard of artistic intent, and artistic talent, and artistic appreciation.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/493/#e15500

Edited by Ta'veren Kaladin

48 minutes ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

The original post was about the identity of the survival Shard, which OP suggested was a wisdom equivalent. The whole subject is about the survival Shard, as the title implies.

Also, this WoB may be causing a bunch of confusion, because it seems to imply more things than it does

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/493/#e15500

It really does all depend on what Brandon was thinking of in that moment. 

The "Hide and Survive" shard is the one he's asked about the most because it's one of the few he gave a specific hint about. He gets asked about Wisdom as a shard a decent amount. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/398/#e13231

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/398/#e13239

https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?query=Wisdom+Shard

The only other one that he kind of let slip in recent years that I can think of is "Ingenuity" which I am confident up being Invention. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/123/#e3299 

Edited by Child of Hodor

I'm almost certain the WoB is referring to the wisdom shard, but I think a lot of people are taking it as speaking of the survival Shard(or the two of them as one being) even though we know it could be most of the shards still alive and is not necessarily unrevealed.

• 1 month later...