SP4: Auxiliary and Adolin's current Situation

Konaka

After reading the released chapters of Secret Project 4, something that struck me as interesting was how Auxiliary, an apparently dead spren, was bonded to Nomad and called itself a Knight and him a Squire. While it is most likely this is just a personal quirk of his, it reminded me of how in Rhythm Of War, during adolin's trial, Maya seems to swear the First Ideal during her defence of Adolin. With Maya being a deadeyes, our current definition of a "dead" spren, I am interested if in some way these are two similar cases of a "reverse" nahel bond between a spren and a human with the spren being the one having sworn the oaths.

5 hours ago, Konaka said:

After reading the released chapters of Secret Project 4, something that struck me as interesting was how Auxiliary, an apparently dead spren, was bonded to Nomad and called itself a Knight and him a Squire. While it is most likely this is just a personal quirk of his, it reminded me of how in Rhythm Of War, during adolin's trial, Maya seems to swear the First Ideal during her defence of Adolin. With Maya being a deadeyes, our current definition of a "dead" spren, I am interested if in some way these are two similar cases of a "reverse" nahel bond between a spren and a human with the spren being the one having sworn the oaths.

An interesting thought. I'll have to go back and read the Maya scene again to see if there are parallels to the oaths.

Could Aux be a Sigzil-spren of sorts? lol.  Something along the lines of Vasher's death - dying imbued with enough investiture that you leave a "fossil", I think it fudged up his memories a bit too.

The physical Sigzil we see, Nomad, is Sigzil, but Aux is the impression of pre-dawnshard Sig or something similar?  It ould explain why Aux calls himself a knight, though admittedly not why he sees Sig as a squire.  Maybe since spren-sig is the only proper windrunner of the two, he sees Nomad as his squire?

Edited by Anomander Rake

On 3/26/2022 at 6:33 PM, Konaka said:

What exactly are you referring to?

To be fair, calling himself a Spren could be more of a category thing, with Spren being any sapient mass of investiture. We've seen that cognitive shadows can behave like spren, being trapped in gemstones and the like, and Vasher described Spren using his Invested Entities list. It's like how Rosharans would refer to any Invested Art, like the Metallic Arts, as Surgebinding.

I think the knight-squire relationship between Nomad and Auxiliary is a misdirection to make us assume that this is the cognitive shadow of a Radiant.
The relationship between spren and Radiant varies between individuals. Syl is like Kaladin's sister; Lopen's spren, whose name escapes me, is a mute child; Wyndle is almost a parental figure for Lift. And Szeth's highspren seems to think they're a deity and Szeth their servant.

Sigzil's honorspren could be a knight among their society, and they could have this relationship going on: the spren is the "knight" teaching the "squire" how to be a Radiant.

I like the idea that deadeyes can form a "reverse bond", though. Aux seems to be the one using the magic in this book, not Nomad, which is a direct inversion of the way that magic manifests in a Radiant bond. The spren grants Surges, and the human uses them. Here, the human asks the spren to use Surges for him.