teknopathetic

Feruchemy in SP4

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Brass (Firesoul)
Stores Warmth

"He looked down at the bracers he’d been given. They were leeching his body heat straight out.  Leaving him cold, his muscles lethargic.  He breathed out, his breath misting.  He looked up at the glowing-eyed man—who held a device with several buttons on it."

The people of this planet seem to use brass as feruchemy. They use the "golden" bracers to drain away Nomad's warmth and also seem to use it at other points as well. Weirldy, a person who can only use fer-brass is known as a Fire SoulH

Part if me thinks the people chained to the ground are being used to gather investiture/energy and store it in the shackles for later use

CLARIFICATION: 
Nomad refers to it as "golden", but brass can have a gold colour. 

See the source image

Edited by teknopathetic

Yeah that could be a weird kind of Feruchemy, one that can forcibly take the attribute from someone else. And the planet does have some Scadrian influence, as we see the plate with Scadrian writing on it later. Although Nomad also seems familiar with it and Scadrial so why doesn't he notice the connection between these bracers and Feruchemy?

23 minutes ago, PurpurPhönix said:

Yeah that could be a weird kind of Feruchemy, one that can forcibly take the attribute from someone else. And the planet does have some Scadrian influence, as we see the plate with Scadrian writing on it later. Although Nomad also seems familiar with it and Scadrial so why doesn't he notice the connection between these bracers and Feruchemy?

Don't forget that, despite being a broadly intelligent and curious person, Sigzil's worldsinger training is in cultures, and also that what Rosharan magic has in raw power, Scadrian magic has in diversity of abilities. I can totally buy him being able to recognize and read Scadrian writing but failing to clock on to a specific sub-type of one of its magics, especially if it's being applied in a very unorthodox way.

I'm skeptical it's feruchemy

But in support of the idea that Sigzil might not have noticed it even if it was, he spends no time speculating about what the cinder/ember people can do, what the process does to them, the source (shard) of the investiture, etc

He really only seems focused on finding concentrations of investiture without caring much about the details about it. He notes for example that the sunlight might be invested, and that maybe the ember/cinder core thing could charge his Skips. 

Feruchemy would be almost useless to him for this purpose, as there isn't a lot of investiture involved compared to surgebinding, so it makes sense that he would blow right past it

(except of course in the case of the bands of morning and specific forum theorizing about compounding, etc)

The problem is that metals have universal properties. Hence we cannot rule out that, if they are using brass, they are using it for the same reason it is used in feruchemy in that way, instead of them using feruchemy.

Well, there was tech and buttons involved. This may be a hack of the magic system in some way. Or possibly, if this does turn out to be Invention’s World, this might some other way investiture plays out with a specific shard’s intent. 

The bracers do more than just leach away body heat. They also did a "buzzing and vibrating" when Beacon's invasion force hijacked then. It had an effect on the cinder killers, but it didn't have an effect on Sigzil, so I don't think it was just sucking the heat out of them. I think that effect was more like allomantic chromium or a larkin, pulling away their Investiture for a short time, much like Nikki Savage did to Nazh's gun in one of the broadsheets. Sigzil, not being Invested at the moment (in terms of having anything to be drained or used by Auxiliary), didn't have anything to be drained.

I'm thinking the bracers are more a straight up energy transfer system. They can take away heat, they can take away Investiture. I wouldn't be surprised to see it going the other way at some point in the story, too, someone getting supercharged through bracers.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

The bracers do more than just leach away body heat. They also did a "buzzing and vibrating" when Beacon's invasion force hijacked them

The vibrating made me think of the tones. I wonder if vibrating a metal to a certain frequency or sound might have an added effect. 

i think it must have taken raw heat though because he sees frost in his breath when he has his warmth leeched away. 

If they can use heat, then I agree they likely can leach investiture or energy. I think the people chained to the ground were likely human conducting wire that channelled the energy/investiture into the metal shackles. 

so grim …

Edited by teknopathetic

13 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

If they can use heat, then I agree they likely can leach investiture or energy. I think the people chained to the ground were likely human conducting wire that channelled the energy/investiture into the metal shackles. 

so like the execution is also making Hemalurgic spikes? I could imagine that those weird burning rocks that are used to make the warriors are created in that way, where the death of the prisoners is being used to capture the investiture of the sun...

13 hours ago, DiePie said:

so like the execution is also making Hemalurgic spikes? I could imagine that those weird burning rocks that are used to make the warriors are created in that way, where the death of the prisoners is being used to capture the investiture of the sun...

More like Dakhor. Using death and torture as a key is an established method in the Cosmere. Hemalurgy is using its target's Investiture. These executions would clearly not do so.