Most important thing, make sure you have fun!
Don't burn yourself out, let your players know you might be a little uncertain and tell them if you want / don't want any help from them. I do encourage you, if you're not sure of the official rule for something just try it out your own way, maybe make a note to look it up later. Don't feel like you have to do every little thing right.

Ease into it, enjoy yourselves and if you need any help I'm always happy to talk TTRPGs.

Thank you, Voidus. :D That sounds like some awesome advice that you can bet I'll be using. Frequently. And I'll be sure to ask you questions when you've got time.

Edited by Liahona
Forgot the second half of my thought XD

@Tani How's the preparation for your campaign going?

EDIT BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO DOUBLE POST:

I just had a D&D session, and I beat my DM at her own game. 

Basically, we were in the forest, and we had just finished a forced march through a jungle. we set up camp, but a weretiger showed up, and told us to get off of his territory. He gave us two options:

1. We leave his territory immediately

2. We submit one of our number to be hunted.

Obviously, our DM wanted for the hunt to happen. However, about half of us have flying or climbing speeds, and we own a Bronze Griffon.

I asked the weretiger what the bounds of his territory were, and he told me that they went west, all the way to the coast. We were heading northwest at the time. I asked if the territory began at the tree line. My DM was confused, but said that that was correct.

I then told the weretiger that in exactly one hour, we would leave his territory. Everyone else was confused, and then I explained my plan - we would cross the jungle via the canopy. My DM got very annoyed, explaining that she wanted the hunt to happen. However, she accepted the plan, and we got to the canopy, ending the session.

Edited by NerdyAarakocra
I didn't want to double post...

beginning full prep on my stormlight campaign.

party starts in Berizhet, Liafor, 2 hours before the first hit of the Everstorm. Some members of the party are radiant  super close to or have sworn first ideal, and they have spren but are kinda confused ab it.

one of my party members i have specifically set a note to not let him be radiant.

but yeah this'll be fun!

On 10/9/2022 at 6:24 PM, CalanoCorvus said:

beginning full prep on my stormlight campaign.

party starts in Berizhet, Liafor, 2 hours before the first hit of the Everstorm. Some members of the party are radiant  super close to or have sworn first ideal, and they have spren but are kinda confused ab it.

one of my party members i have specifically set a note to not let him be radiant.

but yeah this'll be fun!

Nice! That sounds like a fun premise.

Which party member is it?

23 hours ago, CalanoCorvus said:

the one that DMs all combat and zero roleplay, has all the rule books, and is an absolute tryhard and will look for in game loopholes to make himself overpowered.

he is not allowed Radiant abilities.

That sounds like a wise plan.

What are you giving him?

Today I experienced a true TPK. Even better, it was entirely our fault. Not the first time we lose characters, or even most of our characters all at once, this was my third character during this campaign in fact. However, since this time literally everyone died, the campaign ended in a bad ending because there was no one to continue and meet the new characters. It was fun, I think we lasted over a year. We did get to see a short tour of what we missed.

I didn't get to have enough fun with my witch though, so I may play another one at the earliest opportunity. For the time being however, next session we'll most likely start the pirate adventure campaign we've been planning for a while. I have a cute little goblin who attacks and heals with bombs so I'm looking forward to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that.

In other news, I actually got to DM a session for the first time yesterday! I couldn't make it for weeks due to trips and performances, but yesterday finally worked, and it was wonderful. It's one thing to weave a story for someone to read, but another to weave a story for someone to explore and interact with, and I love it.

I did join a D&D group at my school and I was able to join them in a dinosaur race as I didn't have time to make a character yet.

I rolled for a jocky and made a well trained, non carnivorous dinosaur run BACKWARDS FOR TWO TURNS, BY ROLLING A 1. I later rolled a 20 when back on track and I still lost but got fourth.

I'm gonna have so much fun, I am going to play a dragon born paladin, who is bound to a forest god. And I'm gonna go with the group searching for dragon bones, and my friend is part of the party and is a druid who sees his powers as a way to cheat nature and get gain. I'm gonna have fun interacting with him. :D

On 10/16/2022 at 5:06 AM, Eluvianii said:

Today I experienced a true TPK. Even better, it was entirely our fault. Not the first time we lose characters, or even most of our characters all at once, this was my third character during this campaign in fact. However, since this time literally everyone died, the campaign ended in a bad ending because there was no one to continue and meet the new characters. It was fun, I think we lasted over a year. We did get to see a short tour of what we missed.

I didn't get to have enough fun with my witch though, so I may play another one at the earliest opportunity. For the time being however, next session we'll most likely start the pirate adventure campaign we've been planning for a while. I have a cute little goblin who attacks and heals with bombs so I'm looking forward to that.

How did the TPK work?

I thought people here would appreciate this.

I made a family in D&D. There is Harmony Von Telekis (the one I roleplay), her twin sister, Melody Von Telekis, their older sister, Symphony Von Telekis, and their younger brother, Orchestra.

None of them are bards!

Edited by SymphonianBookworm

11 hours ago, Liahona said:

I love that.

In other news, I actually got to DM a session for the first time yesterday! I couldn't make it for weeks due to trips and performances, but yesterday finally worked, and it was wonderful. It's one thing to weave a story for someone to read, but another to weave a story for someone to explore and interact with, and I love it.

Congrats! It is a very different experience from writing, and I do enjoy it so. It's the same reason I enjoy Freeform RP here on the Shard, having people interact with your characters and worldbuilding is a very different experience.

2 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

How did the TPK work?

Essentially we reported the presence of a dragon to some guy but he said "I don't believe you, bring proof". Now, it's worth mentioning we had fought said dragon before, and lost miserably. It killed a character that had a mythic level so we created a mythic dragon.

Recommended course of action was to ignore his request and hope he didn't found out so naturally we actually went to the dragon. Things ensued, everyone died, bad end. It was pretty cool. He had a minion who he disguised as himself, and created an illusion, also of himself. So to us it looked like we were fighting three dragons.

Evil fire god is loose now, it's our fault, that may or may not come up in the next campaign. (of course our new characters are all evil so we wouldn't have a lot of reasons to go against him) 

12 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Essentially we reported the presence of a dragon to some guy but he said "I don't believe you, bring proof". Now, it's worth mentioning we had fought said dragon before, and lost miserably. It killed a character that had a mythic level so we created a mythic dragon.

Recommended course of action was to ignore his request and hope he didn't found out so naturally we actually went to the dragon. Things ensued, everyone died, bad end. It was pretty cool. He had a minion who he disguised as himself, and created an illusion, also of himself. So to us it looked like we were fighting three dragons.

Evil fire god is loose now, it's our fault, that may or may not come up in the next campaign. (of course our new characters are all evil so we wouldn't have a lot of reasons to go against him) 

That's a well thought out TPK. I'll need to make sure that my DM won't get any ideas...

Just starting a new part of the campaign I'm running. Basically, the players found a dragon egg of  a variety never seen before. They named the dragon Xim, after some phoenix from a book my friend likes. The egg hatched, and they raised the dragon throughout several underwater adventures whilst lifting a curse placed on a Triton community. Then they got a magic boat from the Tritons, and a new friend who has wings but has never flown before because he was raised underwater. In short, they very much bonded with Xim, and now she needs to go home. Xim is on her own quest to find her family, and my adventurers are going to have to say goodbye soon. but guess what, I have plans that way later in the campaign, Xim is going to return at a critical moment and save them all. Anyways, that's what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

"Make a Heal check."

fails

"Ok, you didn't recognize them."

"Recognize who?"

"I won't tell you."

I swear....

I often enjoy the opposite of this more :P

If I have a player who I know won't metagame, just tell them outright exactly what it is that they missed and then watch them be infuriated when they have to walk away from it.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:47 PM, Voidus said:

I often enjoy the opposite of this more :P

If I have a player who I know won't metagame, just tell them outright exactly what it is that they missed and then watch them be infuriated when they have to walk away from it.

Yet more reasons to learn to gm. For the time being I just wrote it down and I'll ask him about it two years from now when the campaign is over. As if he's gonna remember.