Hoid's Apprentices and the Number of Books in the Cosmere

The three Cosmere Books released as Secret Projects have one thing in common - that thing is Hoid. 

So in the 2019 State of Sanderson there were 35 Books that he intended to be in the "mainline" Cosmere (already released Books in bold): 

• Elantris 1
  • Elantris 2
  • Elantris 3
  • Mistborn Era 1: Book One
  • Mistborn Era 1: Book Two
  • Mistborn Era 1: Book Three
  • Stormlight One
  • Stormlight Two
  • Stormlight Three
  • Stormlight Four
  • Stormlight Five
  • Mistborn Era 2: Book One
  • Mistborn Era 2: Book Two
  • Mistborn Era 2: Book Three
  • Mistborn Era 2: Book Four
  • Warbreaker 1
  • Warbreaker 2
  • Mistborn Era 3: Book One
  • Mistborn Era 3: Book Two
  • Mistborn Era 3: Book Three
  • Stormlight Six
  • Stormlight Seven
  • Stormlight Eight
  • Stormlight Nine
  • Stormlight Ten
  • Dragonsteel Book One
  • Dragonsteel Book Two
  • Dragonsteel Book Three
  • Untitled Threnody Novel
  • Untitled Aether Book One
  • Untitled Aether Book Two
  • Untitled Aether Book Three
  • Mistborn Era 4: Book One
  • Mistborn Era 4: Book Two
  • Mistborn Era 4: Book Three

We know enough from previous States of Sanderson and WoBs that the PoV Charachters for all but the Theronody Novel, updated Aether of Night Trilogy and Mistoborn Era 4 are known and in-world  (ok, possibly/maybe Elantris 3 might not be if it isn't a direct follow up from Elantris 2). From what we know about all the novels above, the Dragonsteel novels are the only ones with Hoid scheduled to be the main PoV characther.

We do howver know that one driver for the Secret Projects is that Hoid will be the PoV charachter in Dragonsteel and that Brandon wanted to get some practice in before he gets to the Dragonsteel novel. 

So, so far so obvious. In 2019 it appears that Brandon intended Hoid to provide connective tissue between all the books through cameo appearances and take centre stage in the Dragonsteel and possibly (I am speculating here) Mistborn Era 4. 

What I think the Secret Projects seem to hint at, is that since 2019 Brandon has developed different ambitions for the Cosmere. 

What was really powerful to listen to at the end of the SP4 stream was Branden talking about this story being a re-invention of an idea he had and abandoned about Hoid waking up on different planets and recruiting people for a potential Cosmere-saving war. When revisting this though, he decided that the story wan't right for Hoid any more, but would work for oan  Apprentice and chose Sigzil for SP4 as he is the Apprentice we are most familiar with. Then as part of the SP4 story we told that Sigzil has already seen MORE OF THE COSMERE THAN HOID as a result of being on the run from the Night Brigade. Given that we already know the Kite Magic YA book was also going to be from the PoV of a Hoid apporentce, my basic question is: how many more Secret Projects are in Brandon's mind now he has decided Hoid does not have just one Apporentice, but THREE!!!???

22 hours ago, Hoids4thApprentice said:

Given that we already know the Kite Magic YA book was also going to be from the PoV of a Hoid apporentce

I wonder if this is still going to be the case, or if Brandon cannibalized the idea about waking up on a strange planet and needing to figure out the kite magic, turning it into this Sigzil story instead.

It's also interesting that, per this WoB, Brandon has either lowered the number of apprentices that Hoid has running around, or just decided that there are three major ones:

Glamdring804

Yeah, it’s dangerous to leave him unsupervised for extended periods of time, as a random novella might suddenly appear.

Brandon Sanderson

The latest one is a story I really want to write about one of Hoid's apprentices, set in the future of the cosmere (between era 3 and 4) stranded on a minor shardword and trying to figure out their kite-based magic system...

(No time right now, though. Stay on target...)

yahasgaruna

That sounds very much like the first story you wrote about Hoid, doesn't it? About him landing on a new planet and trying to figure out the local magic system?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it would be the spiritual successor of that story. I don't think it would work any more for him, the way he has developed, but I think it could play out very well with one of his many apprentices across the worlds. (Particularly if he's a little more organized about this in the space-age era.)

Someday, I really need to send my old discs from the early 90s out for data recovery, to see if anything is on them. It would be a hoot to read these old stories and really see how much of the Cosmere existed in embryo back when I was a teenager.

General Reddit 2019 (Jan. 2, 2019)

15 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

I wonder if this is still going to be the case, or if Brandon cannibalized the idea about waking up on a strange planet and needing to figure out the kite magic, turning it into this Sigzil story instead.

It's also interesting that, per this WoB, Brandon has either lowered the number of apprentices that Hoid has running around, or just decided that there are three major ones:

Thanks for sharing the Jan 2019 WoB. As I've followed WoBs primarily on Shardcast this was a new one to me. I appreciate that plans change, but in terms of whether The Sunlit Man supersedes the idea of having a YA book on a planet with a Kite Magic system, I'm hedging that the Kite Magic book is still something Brandon will want to do.

Brandon has mentioned that after completing Skyward (and depending on whether he can fix the magic system and ending of the Apocalypse Guard can be made to work) he wants his next YA works to be in the Cosmere. My initial thoughts were that the Kite Magic system and the RoW reveal of Whimsey as a Shard seemed to be obviously connected and would be the first YA novel in the Cosmere. Since then Brandon has also mentioned that he wasn't happy with the voice for Kingmaker (the YA novel on First of the Sun but not featuring Sixth of the Dusk which he read at the first BrandonCon).

The reveal of 3 apprentices after the reading of SP4 made me think that Brandon might be looking to develop three additional voices to add to Hoid's for telling future Cosmere stories: 

• Sigzil for telling action adventure stories
  • The second apprentice as a YA storyteller
  • A third for other types of stories (my personal crack theory on this is a post Stormlight 10 Jasnah for harder science fiction stories towards the end of the Cosmere)

That's why I am thinking there are far more books that Brandon has started to plan than he has shared.

Brandon said three apprentices, which I initially thought was three separate people.  But the sample chapters have Nomad saying he is no longer the person he used to, Sigzil, so he goes by a different name.  Then Brandon said Nomad will go by a another different name after SP4.

My guess is that the 3 apprentices are the same person,  just going by different names.

Edited by rtmain2

On 3/25/2022 at 11:31 PM, rtmain2 said:

Brandon said three apprentices, which I initially thought was three separate people.  But the sample chapters have Nomad saying he is no longer the person he used to, Sigzil, so he goes by a different name.  Then Brandon said Nomad will go by a another different name after SP4.

My guess is that the 3 apprentices are the same person,  just going by different names.

This really did give me pause for thaought, which why I did not answer straight away

On the SP4 livestream yesterday though, Brandon confirms that there are 3 different apprentices. More so he confirms that Sigzil is the 3rd apprentice (which kills my Jasnah as 3rd apprentice crack theory dead lol). He also said that we may have breifly seen one but not both of the other two apprentices. He also stated that he is ultimately planning to write something from the perspective of all three apprentices and RAFO'd whether the 3 apprentices would meet and interact as this could be an impartoant part of the future Cosmere. 

When also thinking about Brandon's confirmation yesterday that writing the Secret Projects are a turning point where he develops the Cosmere to be more Hoid-centric, I think the question I initally asked about how the introduction of the 3 apprentices will imapct the amount of books Brandon is planning to write in the Cosmere as whole (beyond those in the 2019 list) is still one to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmation the "Kite" story is still alive and has not been replaced. 

Use_the_Falchion

Previously you’ve talked about a YA story focused on an apprentice of Hoid that was trapped on a planet with a kite-based magic system. Is that still a thing, or did seeds of that become The Sunlit Man?

Brandon Sanderson

Nope! Still a thing.

Secret Project #4 Reveal and Livestream (March 29, 2022)

• 1 month later...