Getting some bad vibes

Elsecaller_17.5

2 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Sigzil tells Hoid that if the Night Brigade catches him, they might connect the Dawnshard to Hoid and go after him. So it seems like they're trying to retrace the Dawnshard's steps in order to find it.

I got the impression that the Night Brigade was after Hoid and they would use the Dawnshard that Sigzil now holds to connect to its previous holder, being Hoid.

Just now, Frustration said:

I got the impression that the Night Brigade was after Hoid and they would use the Dawnshard that Sigzil now holds to connect to its previous holder, being Hoid.

I don't think he's a Dawnshard. I mean, all his powers (aside from the ones that come from Auxiliary) seem basically the same as Hoid's. He has regen, can't hurt stuff, is very durable, that sort of thing. If he was a Dawnshard holder, I'd expect him to be more powerful, or at least to have other powers. Especially since he has some kind of invested art with Auxiliary. Being able to eat investiture might count, but I don't know how that matches up with a Dawnshard whose intent doesn't allow for killing stuff.

25 minutes ago, Frustration said:

That raises three questions

1. What do they want him for?
  2. Where is Jasnah? Under those circumstances I would have expected Sigzil to suffer ... an unfortunate, inexplicable accident.
  3. Even the 17th Shard identified Roshar as the place he is at. Why do they need to trace Sigzil?
22 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I don't think he's a Dawnshard. I mean, all his powers (aside from the ones that come from Auxiliary) seem basically the same as Hoid's.

That does not help. Hoid may have those powers because he held a Dawnshard.

Now there is a good reason to think that one would not send out something as valuable as a Dawnshard. But then who bears it? Or will it be used up in SA 5?

1 minute ago, Oltux72 said:

That does not help. Hoid may have those powers because he held a Dawnshard.

Now there is a good reason to think that one would not send out something as valuable as a Dawnshard. But then who bears it? Or will it be used up in SA 5?

I know that Hoid got those powers because he held a Dawnshard. That's my point. He has all the same powers as an ex-Dawnshard, and no obvious incredibly dangerous powers like an invested Dawnshard is supposed to have.

37 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

That raises three questions

1. What do they want him for?

They are a band of mercenarries and Hoid has a lot of enemies.

37 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Where is Jasnah? Under those circumstances I would have expected Sigzil to suffer ... an unfortunate, inexplicable accident.

Ignoreing the fact that Danwshards are really hard to kill, and that the Dawnshard itself would still exist there are several options

1. She doesn't know
  2. It's been long enough she's dead
  3. She can't leave Roshar
  4. She had a falling out with Hoid
  5. She's not willing to spend resources on it
  6. She can't find him
40 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Even the 17th Shard identified Roshar as the place he is at. Why do they need to trace Sigzil?

Hoid evaded them pretty neatly, and planets are big places, additionally Hoid is in coresponece with Frost who has known Hoid for 10,000+ years the 17th shard has access to info the Night Brigade doesn't

Somewhere along the thread I got an idea, the Night Brigade can track Sig from planet to planet right? Which means they can in some way detect where he jumped to. This could be why Hoid hasn't been "skipping", since it would allow groups like the 17th shard to figure out his location. Which would explain why we have always seen him use Perpendicularities when possible.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Witness statements are problematic. I am afraid we cannot draw that conclusion, as we do not know the state of affairs when Sigzil left Roshar. Roshar may just have exploded after he was already gone. Even Hoid is likely Invested enoug to become a Cognitive Shadow, if he so chose. In theory. What do we know:

• Sigzil is alive
  • He interacted with a Dawnshard
  • He is no longer a Windrunner

Anyting else is basically conjecture.

Sigzil is most likely guided by Fortune. The likelihood of appearing at an execution site in use right as the sun is about to rise by chance is essentially zero.

When Sigzil was running while being shot at:

Nomad dropped the shield and dashed through the battlefield, the weight of forgotten oaths on his shoulders. He Somehow avoided being shot as he reached the hoverbike and threw the man into one of the seats.

I didn't add the S, and I only read the chapters so I don't know how Brandon said this, but the capitalized Somehow sounds a lot like some defined use of fortune 

• 9 months later...

Damnation.  It wasn’t possible.  Not here, on this world.  This was a common storm, not a mythical tempest his homeland.  Things didn’t happen in the darkness of common storms like they did…

Fully willing to admit that I may be reading to much into this line that precedes Sigzil expecting the figure to be Kal. But there is a theory out there that Kaladin will merge with or become the Stormfather, possible Kal's Cog Shadow replacing that of Tanavast... Could this be a hint of that?

Not sure if Kal becoming a cognitive shadow and merging with the stormfather is bad vibes or good vibes, but it's certainly something.